British Isle cruise on Vision

We are looking at a 12 night British Isle Cruise on Vision in June 2017. We have never been to Brussels, Scotland or Ireland.

In Brussels and Inverness the shore excursions offer an on-you-own type excursion but charge approx. $50 - $80 per person for the bus rides into town. Is it possible (and safe) to take some type of public transportation or taxi into these towns from the ports on our own?

We are also in need of recommendations for lodging on our own pre-trip in Amsterdam.

Any comments regarding Vision of the Seas would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much, everyone.

dagcruisers, I would suggest reviewing the British Isles/Western Europe forum for discussion on excursions, etc. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233. CC member boykin has a thread on British Isle ports there that may be of interest to you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363321. (You can also do a Search there). Check for your Roll Call as well, to meet others on your particular sailing.

I toured the Vision years ago and while she may not have all the bells and whistles of today's much larger ships, I prefer the smaller vessels. She is a nice size when you have a port-intensive itinerary. I've heard excellent things about the new R Bar, a 60s vibe with entertaining bartenders. (The R stands for Retro). Enjoy your cruise! :)

Public transport is safe in all area of uk so just google what's available.

We came off vision at the end if the May and had a fabulous time it is has of the most happy hard working staff ever. The captain was highly visible even singing in the centrum on party night

We are looking at a 12 night British Isle Cruise on Vision in June 2017. We have never been to Brussels, Scotland or Ireland.

In Brussels and Inverness the shore excursions offer an on-you-own type excursion but charge approx. $50 - $80 per person for the bus rides into town. Is it possible (and safe) to take some type of public transportation or taxi into these towns from the ports on our own?

We are also in need of recommendations for lodging on our own pre-trip in Amsterdam.

Consider signing up for the roll call for this cruise. Re Brussels - a few of us from our roll call shared a large taxi from the port to Bruges at a minimal cost. The taxi was prearranged and reserved with specific times for pickup on both ends. The CC ports section has threads that will be helpful to you, port logistics, trip planning, hotel, etc.

Cant comment about The Vision as we are not on her till September, but when you come to Guernsey, give me a call and I will show you our lovely little Island.:D

Take a look at my Flickr page to give you an idea as to what's it like here:)

We did a shorter UK only version of that cruise on Vision a few years ago. Pretty much every port has a train or bus to the city nearby. Never felt unsafe.

The ports of call area has more info, but just to share what we did on our own:

Hop on/hop off bus tour and Guiness museum in Dublin.

Loch Ness boat tour (well worth it, since most tours are by bus).

Keep in mind that the port of Zeebrugge is about an 1hr30 drive to Brussels. Brugge is much closer and very nice :)

Cindy

Thank you, everyone, for all the great information. We really appreciate your responses.

We have a lot of planning to do now!!! Any additional suggestions would still be welcomed.

We will definitely sign up for the roll call. :)

I agree Brugge is a medieval town and much nicer and plenty there to do

Chocolate there is a must.

There is a train that runs not far from the dock straight into Bruges...very quick.

A bit hard to find station but look for the water tower then go into the housing estate look for train sign and it is the end of the line.

Only goes from there to Bruges and pay conductor on the train.

If you do intend to use public transport in Scotland check the day of your visit as sometimes Sunday timetables differ from the rest of the week. Greenock is not far from Glasgow (approx 35mins by train and cost £10 return) and the HoHo bus in Glasgow is really good value. The round Hoho trip is approx 1.30 hrs. Cost about £14 pp. But there again you may prefer to see Loch Lomond & the Trossachs which are beautiful.

Lots to see and do in Edinburgh and the Hoho again may be your best bet. I'm not sure if you will go into Rosyth (which is further from the centre) or Leith which is nearer. To make your plans you would need to find out.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

I forgot to add we booked Glengoyne distillery tour through the ship, but you can also sign up for the same tour in the port terminal. Great bus tour through the highlands, and of course, scotch!

Thank you for all the VERY HELPFUL information.

Pencruise, hope you are enjoying yourself on the Vision. Glad to hear it is still a great ship.

We have decided that we will skip Brussells and go to Brugge. I saw on-line a bus that runs from Zeebrugge to Brugge called "Cruise Express". Leaves right from the dock. Round trip ticket is 20 Euros. Has anyone used this company before?

Please keep all the suggestions coming. This is new territory for us and really appreciate learning from everyone's experience.