Embarkation in Monte Carlo

TERRIER1

We are on the Riviera next year and we embark in Monte Carlo. We just finished a cruise where the Sirena was scheduled to dock in Monaco but it was changed to tender. The last time we actually docked in Monte Carlo was on the Insignia.

Has anyone embarked on either the Marina or Riviera in Monte Carlo? If the ship anchors, how does the luggage get on board and where is the drop off? Thanks.

We have always docked for cruises which either started and ended in Monte Carlo. One cruise we ended on an overnight stay in MC and the ship anchored on the day of arrival, then at midnight went in to dock, so luggage could be dropped off for disembarkation next day and likewise for luggage and supplies to be taken onboard for the next cruise.

If MC is a cruise port midway during a cruise, it is never guaranteed you will dock or tender as per the original listed itinerary.

We embarked from Monte Carlo on Marina in October 2015, and overnighted in Monte Carlo on Riviera in September 2012. On both cruises we docked in the same exact location on Quai Rainier III in Port Hercule - the central marina in Monte Carlo. The Oct 2015 embarkation couldn't have been easier. There is a terminal at the end of the quay and Oceania staff met us there and took our luggage, and we boarded right after we arrived.

As others have said, you can't count on a specific location in any port, but I would be very surprised if there was tendering required for embarkation in Monte Carlo.

If you haven't purchased transfers from the Nice airport, we avoided the ~100 euros cab ride and took the Nice Airport Express bus for 18 euros each. Bought tickets outside the arrivals area and waited about 15 minutes for a very fast and comfortable bus transport to Monte Carlo. Got off at Place d'Armes and ended up walking to the ship because we we able to walk before we were able to catch a cab. Not terribly fashionable to pull our luggage to the ship, but it was a 10 minute downhill walk from the stop...

• 1 month later...

Hello:

We are also going on the Riviera, embarking from Monte Carlo on June 21. Is the same cruise?

I am just starting to look into flights. Do you book your own, or do you have Oceania book your flights? We disembark in Portugal.

I was thinking of staying a day in Nice and than heading to Monaco the morning of the 21st. It has been about 22 years since the last time I was there. Due to the length of the cruise, I don't know if the other couple can take off more time from work. Do you recommend staying in Nice or Monaco a day prior to embarking?

We are traveling in a group of 6. 2 couples in their mid 50's, my mother-in-law and a friend of mine.

We are from CT.

Lori & Larry

We are on for 7 days only. We booked this cruise since it dovetailed nicely with a river cruise we are taking. We book our own air but we are able to get decent fares from JFK. Your need to look at the credit Oceania is giving and compare the fares you can get on your own. Bear in mind that Oceania charges 175 dollars ppm to deviate from the schedule which brings go you I on the day of departure and home the day of disembarkation.

We are staying in Nice a couple of days prior. We are not fans of Monte Carlo. We will take the #100 bus from Nice to Monte Carlo the day of the cruise.

• 7 years later...