Over-scheduled for Glaciers Viewing Tours?

shawnk1963

During our HAL SB Seward to Vancouver cruise at the end of July, we’ll be:

- Going on the 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Park Tour out of Seward before we board the ship (description indicates we see Glacier(s));

- Cruising through Glacier Bay

- Going on the Glacier Point Wildlife Safari out of Haines (HAL tour) which includes a wide variety of fun activities and viewing the Davidson Glacier;

- Going on the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Juneau Roundtrip (HAL tour). I booked that because I read that Tracy Arm is amazing and a must see, but we can’t do Adventure Bound’s tour due to ship departure time;

- Misty Fjords by Floatplane with Family Air Tours in Ketchikan (I think we see Glaciers on this, too).

I’m now starting to wonder if I’ve got us overbooked for Glacier related tours and since we can’t do Adventure Bound, maybe we should cancel the Tracy Arm tour and do something else in Juneau. What do you guys think and if you think I should possibly replace the Tracy Arm Tour, what would you recommend replacing it with in Juneau? We're open to all suggestions and healthy / active.

Thanks, Shawn

(ETA: this is our first visit to Alaska)

Edited by shawnk1963

Which Family Air tour did you sign up for?

We did the deluxe misty fjord tour on May 22 this year. It was warm and sunny (unusual for Ketchikan) with lots of green scenery, but no glacier views. That is only on the $375 glacier fjord tour from them. We landed on a remote lake area in the fjord and got out of the plane onto a large floating dock. We stayed there for about 20 minutes; plenty of time to walk around and take pictures. The scenery from the air and the lake were great.

DSC06100_zpsgfdof5si.jpg

DSC06072_zpst0i4jyyr.jpg

Edited by flatlander321

Have you thoroughly looked over a Juneau shore excursion list? Is there anything else you want to do there?? I find it a negative to book tours- because you read they are a "must see". ALL of Alaska is a "must see" to someone. But definitely doesn't mean it is for everyone.

If there are Juneau tours of more interest, then consider booking those. Your post is slanted toward you stating you are going on a lot of glacier tours, and not all positively, certainly not with any "excitement" like you see with other plans. It appears to me, that tour could be changed to something of more interest for you?

Which Family Air tour did you sign up for?

We did the deluxe misty fjord tour on May 22 this year. It was warm and sunny (unusual for Ketchikan) with lots of green scenery, but no glacier views. That is only on the $375 glacier fjord tour from them. We landed on a remote lake area in the fjord and got out of the plane onto a large floating dock. We stayed there for about 20 minutes; plenty of time to walk around and take pictures. The scenery from the air and the lake were great.

We're doing their Deluxe Misty Fjords Tour. We recently switched to that one from the HAL tour. Thank you for the information and great pictures!

Have you thoroughly looked over a Juneau shore excursion list? Is there anything else you want to do there?? I find it a negative to book tours- because you read they are a "must see". ALL of Alaska is a "must see" to someone. But definitely doesn't mean it is for everyone.

If there are Juneau tours of more interest, then consider booking those. Your post is slanted toward you stating you are going on a lot of glacier tours, and not all positively, certainly not with any "excitement" like you see with other plans. It appears to me, that tour could be changed to something of more interest for you?

We're very excited, and maybe I'm over thinking this - which I'm prone to doing. Since we may not get to go back to Alaska, I'm trying to plan a variety of excursions/activities and I started wondering if I was planning too many glacier viewing tours and that maybe we should see/do something else in Juneau. The first tour I considered in Juneau was The Best of Juneau HAL tour - and that still sounds good, but I decided on Tracy Arm because it does look great to me based on what I've read and seen about it here, in books, etc. If we were able to do the Adventure Bound tour, I think I'd be less likely to be rethinking it, but since we can't do that one, I wonder if we should choose another one of the many good options in Juneau.

Thank you! Shawn

ETA - Our ship is docked in Juneau from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.

Edited by shawnk1963

We are heading out in 3 weeks for our 4th trip to Alaska. In past trips we have seen Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, done a small boat trip on Portage Lake with viewing of Portage Glacier, a helicopter tour of Mendenhall where we walked on the glacier. All very unique experiences. If this might be your only trip to Alaska, see as many different glacier experiences as you want!:D

In Juneau we are booked on the Pilots Choice flight and we have Harv & Marv picking us up from Temsco air to go whale watching. You can get the best of both with a similar itinerary. I've done the Pilots Choice from Temsco before and it was spectacular. Either way enjoy your trip!:)