Gironde Estuary and the Prinsendam

Does anyone have any experience sailing on the Prinsendam to Bordeaux? My question is how accurate is the posted arrival time in Bordeaux according to the Prinsendam's itinerary?

I understand that there are strong currents in the estuary and that changes the amount of sediment, sand banks and even islands in the water.

I am not asking for a future prediction, but based on past experience, did the Prinsendam end up in Bordeaux at its stated time?

I recall we had no problems getting in on time but, yes, it's a river and as such rain etc will affect its flow. Fabulous stop! Also, watch going back out...the Pilot might get hoisted off the ship by helicopter if the surf over the "bar" is too great. You are docked in a gorgeous area of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I did it a few years ago, and they do have to enter and leave as the tide allows. We had an overnight as far up the river as you can get and right next to the light rail street trams. It was very convienent. As close to river cruising as an ocean cruise can do!

In September of 2013, I visited Bordeaux on Prinsendam. The arrival and departure times were much as previously advertised. Each trip could be different, of course.

There seem to be possibly 3 challenges in this port:

1) the current is strong during parts of the day

2) having enough water under the keel

3) having the water level low enough to fit under a bridge located just outside the city of Bordeaux.

So, it isn't easy to visit, but I've seen it work well at least once!

Also, there needed to be a shore provided gangway of significant length, and due to the large tidal swings, it had to be re-positioned between different decks every few hours. There wasn't any fixed infrastructure (to mar the waterfront when no ship is in town) so that had to be trucked in. To some it was an annoyance since it delayed disembarkation upon first arrival. To others, it was a great show watching all the scurrying along the quai. We were there for something like 33 hours, so I thought we had plenty of time ashore.