Carnival Dream propulsion question

ekajun1957

I am seeing where there is a propulsion problem with the Dream but is it only when they on the itinerary with Grand Cayman? I have not found where people complain when they do the Roatan-Belize-Cozumel itinerary. So which itinerary were you on when time in port was shortened?

Jamaica' date=' GC and Cozumel.

Apparently this will be going on for quite some time until next drydock when they will fix the problem.[/quote']

We board the Dream next Sunday with these ports, which ports are shortened, and by how much?

This doesn't directly answer your question but it looks like this has been an ongoing issue recently (like Micah's Grandad said) and this thread gives some more details:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357115&page=3

Seems like the delays aren't substantial. Hoping to hear even more recent travelers address this too. The current cruisers had a stop in Cozumel so maybe we'll hear back from them and see what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I have calculated the Dream itinerary for July 10th cruise

1. New Orleans to Cozumel approx. 776 nautical miles at 20 knots takes 1.6 days

2. Cozumel to Belize approx. 346 nautical miles at 20 knots takes 0.7 day

3. Belize to Coxen Hole( Mahogany Bay) approx 110 nautical miles takes 0.2 day

4. Coxen Hole to New Orleans approx 1070 nautical miles takes 2.2 days

I expect no shortened port times as we should easily make the schedule as long as we leave New Orleans on schedule. For those of you that wish to calculate expected time from port to port go to:

ports.com sea route and distance will do this for you

The other thread mentions Dream making only 18 knots. Our itinerary is New Orleans/Montego Bay/Grand Cayman/Cozumel. Leave NO at 4:00 PM Sunday, scheduled to arrive Montego Bay at 8:00 AM Wednesday. That first leg is 64 hours, no time change. That run is 1363 nautical miles from ports.com. At 18 knots that's 76 hours. At the normal Dream speed of 22.5 knots (per wikipedia) its only 60 hours. Even at 20 knots is 68 hours. Not sure how they can stick to the schedule even at 20 knots. Perhaps that ports.com site is conservative in the actual distance. And, do they really make even 18 knots down the river?

The other thread mentions Dream making only 18 knots. Our itinerary is New Orleans/Montego Bay/Grand Cayman/Cozumel. Leave NO at 4:00 PM Sunday, scheduled to arrive Montego Bay at 8:00 AM Wednesday. That first leg is 64 hours, no time change. That run is 1363 nautical miles from ports.com. At 18 knots that's 76 hours. At the normal Dream speed of 22.5 knots (per wikipedia) its only 60 hours. Even at 20 knots is 68 hours. Not sure how they can stick to the schedule even at 20 knots. Perhaps that ports.com site is conservative in the actual distance. And, do they really make even 18 knots down the river?

I looked at ports.com, and I have no idea where they get their data. Our ship has a commercial routing program, and the distance between NOLA and Montego Bay is 1050 miles. 104 miles of this is in the river, where the ship is limited in speed and this takes 7-8 hours, depending on current. That leaves 946 miles, at 18 knots, that's 52.5 hours. So, about 61 hours not taking sea currents into account.

Most of the time I looked we were going about 17 knots heading south and if I remember correctly a bit faster heading back to NO.

Didnt look at river speed but seemed to me we were going slower than 17 knots leaving port.

I literally found out about the problems right after booking ES for a cruise in Dec. last month. Had I not booked ES I would have cancelled my cruise and rebooked after dry dock. I think it's ridiculous they keep a schedule they know they can't keep up with. If weather is absolutely perfect and there are no other delays it doesn't alter it much but if anything slows them down it makes a big impact on port times because they can't catch up like they normally could.

If I thought there was any shot in arguing with CS I would call and see if we could switch to another ship or a later cruise but I'm sure they would deny any known issues.

I'd much rather have my itinerary change to one they can easily make on time than one they probably won't make unless all the stars, moon and sun come into alignment and the wind blows in just the right direction LOL

We board the Dream next Sunday with these ports, which ports are shortened, and by how much?

We just returned from the Dream and we had NO propulsion problems, no missed ports, no shortened port times AND the ship was going OVER 21 knots several times, with NO issues

We just returned from the Dream and we had NO propulsion problems, no missed ports, no shortened port times AND the ship was going OVER 21 knots several times, with NO issues

Thank you! We're taking the Dream in December so I'm glad to have a good report.