Has anyone been to Skagen?

Visited when car touring Denmark, went up to the northern tip of Jutland where the Kattergat and Skaggerak meet and visited the dune coast and this in a large buggy vehicle for the beach. Skagen itself is a fishing/ seafaring port and quaint, good herring dishes available.It would be interesting to see what ship excursions are arranged as we found most of Denmark to be a great holiday destination but away from Copenhagen and Lego land well off the main tourist trails. We are always surprised how few Brits have ever been to Denmark, outside of a Copenhagen weekend break, we met few foreign tourists in 3weeks touring the country.

Visited when car touring Denmark, went up to the northern tip of Jutland where the Kattergat and Skaggerak meet and visited the dune coast and this in a large buggy vehicle for the beach. Skagen itself is a fishing/ seafaring port and quaint, good herring dishes available.It would be interesting to see what ship excursions are arranged as we found most of Denmark to be a great holiday destination but away from Copenhagen and Lego land well off the main tourist trails. We are always surprised how few Brits have ever been to Denmark, outside of a Copenhagen weekend break, we met few foreign tourists in 3weeks touring the country.

Funnily enough we've been to Denmark before. My husband visited Copehagen for a fortnight as a child and years later we took our own children to Legoland after visiting friends in Germany. We should have just waited, for we lived in Reading then and had season tickets for Windsor Safari Park - which became Legoland Windsor!

I'd never heard of Skagen before it came up on a cruise itinerary. The ship is offering a half day walking tour of Skagen (for a mere £76 per person), or a bicycle tour, or a drive to the sand worm. All of these would be in a group with others. We'd prefer to strike out on our own. The thread mentioned above has details of transport options as obviously we won't have the car, unlike our last trip. Your buggy ride sounds fun.

I'm particularly interested in the Skagen artists so may focus on the museum, but we also love walking around harbours, and as a Brit I know how to prepare for rain!