Concerns as a first time Cunard passenger

Fee by the Sea

Hi, I'll be travelling on a round trip cruise Southampton to Hamburg with my 90 year old Mum and my 15 year old son.

Mums in a wheelchair for the duration due to the excessive distances in board.

We've never cruised before and this is my Mums one and only chance of a cruise as she has dementia and her lifelong ambition was to go on a cruise. This will be fulfilled and we're delighted to be going as Queens Grill passengers.

My concerns are, we are just normal people who have never done anything remotely like this and Cunard, dare I say it, has a stuffy almost Snobby image.

The dress code is fine with us but we are concerned about other passengers and their attitudes on board if we get some etiquette 'wrong'. Given I am with an elderly woman with issues and a 15 year old, Are people likely to make comments and make you feel awkward?

I've asked a few questions on here so far and all have been helpful, thank you.

I just don't want to feel so far out of my depth, the trip is uncomfortable for us.

Fee x

Hi, I'll be travelling on a round trip cruise Southampton to Hamburg with my 90 year old Mum and my 15 year old son. Mums in a wheelchair for the duration due to the excessive distances in board. We've never cruised before and this is my Mums one and only chance of a cruise as she has dementia and her lifelong ambition was to go on a cruise. This will be fulfilled and we're delighted to be going as Queens Grill passengers. My concerns are, we are just normal people who have never done anything remotely like this and Cunard, dare I say it, has a stuffy almost Snobby image. The dress code is fine with us but we are concerned about other passengers and their attitudes on board if we get some etiquette 'wrong'. Given I am with an elderly woman with issues and a 15 year old, Are people likely to make comments and make you feel awkward? I've asked a few questions on here so far and all have been helpful, thank you. I just don't want to feel so far out of my depth, the trip is uncomfortable for us. Fee x
Hi Fee by the Sea,

Please don't give your concerns another thought, put them out of your mind completely.

You'll have, I am certain, the most amazing time on board. Being in Queens Grill will mean that you will be totally spoilt. All three of you will have a fantastic trip. You and your mum will have some amazing times together, and your son will have a cruise he will remember and talk about for a very long time to come.

I've been on one cruise and one crossing with my parents (in their 80s)(QM2 both times) and they still talk about how wonderful their voyages were, and those trips were in Britannia grade, not in the Grills.

We've all met "difficult" people everywhere in life, sadly. Ships can be no different in that respect, regardless of cruise line. However, I have noted over the years that somehow almost everyone on Cunard ships are considerate with an almost old-fashioned sense of courtesy and politeness. Remember most are out to have a good, and relaxing, time, and many wear a smile about the ship, whether they realise it or not.

Please relax, cease worrying and enjoy your trip; I wish all three of you a huge Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

I felt the same way the first time we went. Some people on board do fit that description, but I found the stuffiness and snobbish attitude to be stronger in the posts I read on this board. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures with your mum! You'll treasure those always!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi

To quote the PM, "Calm down".

My wife and I always travel QG, (about 15 times) although a couple of times I have also travelled with one of my sons in Britannia.

You will all have a ball! The QG staff will fuss over your mother and make her feel like royalty. If she has any favourite foods, then don't be afraid to tell the Head Waiter or Maitre d', and they will be offered whenever she chooses.

You will have use of the Grill Lounge where coffee will be available every morning from about 10:30 onwards. You also have two sun decks that are for your exclusive use.

Outwith the Grills area, nobody else has a clue what grade you are in, so if you don't try to flaunt it, nobody is any the wiser, and therefore cannot be accusing anybody of being snobbish.

Use your butler. Use the Concierge, but always remember, and I'm sure you already do, that nobody has a "better job" only a different one.

You are absolutely guaranteed a great holiday.

..and now the downside: You will now want to be in QG all the time and end up, like us, chucking thousands at Mr Cunard for the rest of your life :-)

Have a great trip!!!

Stewart

It would be quite remarkable if anyone made comments or made you feel awkward. On reading your concerns, I think you will be surprised how charming and ordinary everyone is.

As for worries about getting anything wrong, as mentioned already do let the crew guide you on anything you are unsure about, it's great advice as they are always willing to assist whether you are a first timer or regular guest. They have no agenda other than ensuring you are comfortable and having an enjoyable time.

Above all be yourselves, that really is all that is needed.

M-AR

Cunard is not stuffy, it's elegant! And definitely not snobby. I think that image persists because people get so concerned about a "class system." But as Stewart said, once you're out of your stateroom, nobody's bothered about the grade of your accommodation.

Cunard does attract a more mature crowd, so you're likely to meet people who have taken care of elderly parents. They'll think you're wonderful for taking your mum on a trip like this, and also for giving your son this travel experience.

We are not in the Grills but unless you tell them nobody would know as apart from your own Grills floor ect the rest of the ship is for everyone. We did met a couple who said that yes the Grills were great but missed meeting other people at lunch times and dinner as you will possibly have your own table for just you three, where as the rest of us sometimes get on bigger tables so meet lots of people. But it does not really matter it what's you want that matters.

Thanks!

I've probably watched too much Titanic harking back to the olden days.:)

I appreciate your responses and it has put my mind at ease. I just want Mum to have the time of her life, Bless her, she deserves it..

Thank you all

I'll post a review on my trip once I get home in JUly.. Meanwhile, i'll keep trawling the forums to ask more questions..!!

Many thanks

Fee

You will have a wonderful time. Mum will be the hit of the Queens Grill as people champion those who venture out at 90. As for your son, what a fine age to be exposed to the Queens Grill. Even if budgets do not allow a return to that level of travel right away, he knows what is out there and it may be an incentive for sharpening his goals should he need that.

Should you meet the odd passenger who is totally into themselves, a bit of creativity may be called for. I have a good friend who used to own and operate a petrol station. On a cruise one of his tablemates was totally into one upping all about careers and positions. When this passenger queried my friend as to what he did for a living he simply smiled and said he was in oil.

Hi Fee by the Sea,

We've all met "difficult" people everywhere in life, sadly. Ships can be no different in that respect, regardless of cruise line. However, I have noted over the years that somehow almost everyone on Cunard ships are considerate with an almost old-fashioned sense of courtesy and politeness. Remember most are out to have a good, and relaxing, time, and many wear a smile about the ship, whether they realise it or not.

:)

What a nice way to put this. We felt the same way on our QM2 voyage. :)

Hi Fee. I've not yet booked Grill accommodations...may I ask what size table you have requested ? Thanks, -S.

I just re-read my post and realized it might sound a bit strange, so perhaps I should explain why I'm asking...my hairdresser is planning on taking his mom who has alzheimer disease on a cruise. He's leaning towards booking Grill accommodations and asked me what size table would be good for him and his mom. I have no experience of the Grills, so I was unable to offer him any advice, but I thought someone who was familiar with the Grills might have a sense of what is customary in this case (or even if there is any custom). Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I just re-read my post and realized it might sound a bit strange, so perhaps I should explain why I'm asking...my hairdresser is planning on taking his mom who has alzheimer disease on a cruise. He's leaning towards booking Grill accommodations and asked me what size table would be good for him and his mom. I have no experience of the Grills, so I was unable to offer him any advice, but I thought someone who was familiar with the Grills might have a sense of what is customary in this case (or even if there is any custom). Thanks, -S.

Tell your hairdresser that he is a wonderful son! Also tell him he has a wonderful Mom to have raised such a son:D

I hope she is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. My sister is now in the facility I work at, she has Alzheimer's. It is a difficult disease ,I wish them all the best.

Reader