Thomson cruise (Majesty) 1st timer (ever) questions

Thinking of doing a cruise with family, around Med, just for 7 days as unsure on the whole thing tbh, few questions though for a 1st timer...it will be on west med in Thomson majesty sailing from Palma.

1) All tips etc included, don't think we'll get the drinks package as not worth it for what we'd have, so how much are drinks, soft, water etc? Budget for a family of 4? Do you get drinks included at meal times if haven't got the drinks package?

2) On a full board, what about in between meals, available free/cost snacks? Drinks? ice-cream?

3) the cabin will be an inside for all 4, 2 teenagers, I expect to be small, but is it ok? We'll be out and about, on trips anyway. TV? WiFi?

4) is there WiFi avaiable at all times? Is it free? If not, how much, is it per person, or family, or all will have a tablet and phone.

5) dress code, not bothered on black tie do's, won't go, but what about normal meal times? I'm on holiday to relax don't want to dress up if have to.

6) what is the Thomson majesty like, good standard? Any Problems?

7) entertainment, do you have to book the shows? Pay?

8) what plugs are in cabins and around ship, UK? Or need an adapter?

9) there's a few trips I would do a defo, Monaco being one, are the Thomson trips the best? Happy to pay, this one's £50/each. Another stop is Corsica, what to do here just a beach?

10) heard some bad reports on the state of the Majesty ship which we will chose for the West Med trip. Sounds like needs a refurb etc. I know cabins will be small, we'll hopefully only use for sleeping and getting ready, but with 2A and 2 teenagers, it might be very cramped in one inside cabin will it?

11) Having never been on a cruise, the kids especially, are nervous on the actual cruise/trip itself, and also what there is to do? Is there plenty to do, enough for them to go off themselves and try things? (although they'll stick to me I think)

12) Is a safe in every cabin? Ours would be an inside cabin, does it cost to use? Is it safe to use! as in when out on excursions etc?

13) Over and above a "normal" beach holiday we would need some extra smart/casual wear, and what about towels, or specifically anything else?

14) Can you buy stuff on excursions and bring on, drinks and food etc? Do you get searched when regarding for this sort of stuff?

Any general tips, what to do/not to etc

Edited by MrLoLoLo

Hi MrLoLoLo -Not sure about Majesty but have been on other ships and they are all similar.

1. Drinks prices are similar to pubs in UK. There is water, tea and coffee available all day long in the buffet restaurant. You are served water in the main dining room with meals.

2. There is food served all day long. The dining room is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but the buffet has food all day long. It closes for a few minutes while they take the breakfast food off and put the lunch out, likewise in the afternoon. There is also usually food by the pool in the day.

3. Sorry can’t help with the cabin size but there will be a TV (only limited to news programmes and ships news, there are occasionally films shown

4. Wifi is charged and not cheap. You can use the wifi in the ports

5. Dress code is smart casual i.e. men trousers and open neck shirt – ladies dress or skirt and top or trousers and top. You can wear shorts but have to eat in the buffet restaurant

6. Sorry can’t help with that one.... sure someone else will be able to

7. All the entertainment is free and you don’t need to book the shows, however you need to get there early. Thomson shows are very good and the theatre is always full. Drinks are served in the theatre.

8. You need an adaptor – we take European and American as they sometimes have both.

9. Ships trips are usually very good but expensive. We always do our own thing, you will find loads of tips on this site. Always be sure to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship as it will not wait for you unless you are on a Thomson trip. If you are aware of the time, you won’t have any problems

10. Can’t help with Majesty but all the Thomson fleet are older ships. We don’t mind this as they have character and are all very friendly

11. There’s as much or as little as you want. We always get up early and go ashore before the crowds so we are out most of the day. When we get back we just relax with a drink before getting ready for dinner. However, there are things going on the ship especially on sea days. Quizzes, talks on the ports to be visited, swimming pools, keep fit, zumba etc. If it’s school holidays there will be other kids to hang around with

12. There is a safe in the cabin but my bugbear is that Thomson charge for it i.e. £15 for a week or £25 for 2 weeks. We never use it, just hide anything we need to. The staff are lovely and we’ve never had anything touched.

13. Daytime wear is exactly what you would wear on any other holiday – pool towels are provided in the cabin, but if you lose them they charge £10.

14. You can bring drinks etc on board within reason. You won’t need any food, there’s everything provided. However, we bought things like sweets. You don’t get searched but you do have to show your ship’s card when leaving the ship and coming aboard – that’s how they know where everyone is. You also have to put your bags through a scanner and walk through an airport type scanner on entering the ship – obviously for security purposes.

Just go and enjoy yourselves, you’ll love it and will get hooked. We’ve done several cruises now and love the Thomson itineraries. Hope all this helps, you will get all the help you need on CC.

6. It's an old ship and showing its age now, but it's not too bad. As you have nothing to compare it with, you will be pleasantly surprised I think.

3. The cabins are quite small so personally, I wouldn't fancy 2+2 in an inside, but if you are only going to sleep in it, which is all you can do, then you will probably be ok.

Go with an open mind, I am sure that as a first cruise, you will enjoy it.

Edited by shot2bits

We have sailed on 3 of the Thomson ships and, although we really enjoyed Spirit last week and have been on Dream 5 times, Majesty is our favourite - so looking forward to being back on her in October. Thomson may have older ships but their crews are second to none and entertainment first class . Go ahead and book with an open mind - you will not be disappointed.

Edited by campolady

The only thing I would suggest if you've got 4 of you in an inside cabin book a plus cabin the standard cabins are small, there a bit more expensive but very roomy. We've only had one Thomson cruise so far and it was on the Majesty but we are looking forward to the next one in October on the Spirit . Older ships but we think great value for money?

Edited by glynandkath

1/... Pics of Majesty's bar list from April 2016 to be found by scrolling down to post 4 at this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357352

3/... For four people of any age you will need an inside plus cabin.

6/... The Majesty is our favourite Thomson ship & is very well maintained.

Dronnygirl has admirably answered all your other questions. But I would emphasise what shot2bits & glynandcath say about standard inside cabins... They are small even for two & the plus cabins are definitely the way to go.

Edited by Stevio