Escape or Breakaway for first NCL Cruise? Help me decide.

gapearl

So I've decided to finally take my first NCL cruise next year. :D

I read Gambee's Escape review and Megacruiser's Getaway review (going to continue to look for more reviews of course) and it doesn't look like I can go wrong with either ship. So I'm asking you guys is there one that might be just a little better than the other?

I love that Getaway has Legally Blonde and it looks like there are some slightly larger studio cabins (the website says 99-131 sq ft, only 99 sq ft on Escape). I love that Escape has some more fun looking waterslides and has the ropes course and rock climbing wall, don't remember if Getaway has that too. Is there a big name show on Escape? I know NCL is known for having some big name shows on their new ships like Chicago and Blue Man Group. The glow parties on both ships look like fun and I also like that there's a Latin band on both, as I'm really into the Latin dance community. Maybe I'll get lucky and find 1 person out of 4K onboard that can salsa with me haha.

Price is the same for both and the itinerary is the same- Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. Both include a free at sea choice, which I would use for the unlimited beverage package. :cool: Does NCL have anything similar to Carnival's early saver rate, where you can get price drops all the way up until 2 days before your sail date if the price drops?

Anything else you want to tell me about these ships or NCL in general? Thanks! :)

So I've decided to finally take my first NCL cruise next year. :D

I read Gambee's Escape review and Megacruiser's Getaway review (going to continue to look for more reviews of course) and it doesn't look like I can go wrong with either ship. So I'm asking you guys is there one that might be just a little better than the other?

I love that Getaway has Legally Blonde and it looks like there are some slightly larger studio cabins (the website says 99-131 sq ft, only 99 sq ft on Escape). I love that Escape has some more fun looking waterslides and has the ropes course and rock climbing wall, don't remember if Getaway has that too. Is there a big name show on Escape? I know NCL is known for having some big name shows on their new ships like Chicago and Blue Man Group. The glow parties on both ships look like fun and I also like that there's a Latin band on both, as I'm really into the Latin dance community. Maybe I'll get lucky and find 1 person out of 4K onboard that can salsa with me haha.

Price is the same for both and the itinerary is the same- Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. Both include a free at sea choice, which I would use for the unlimited beverage package. :cool: Does NCL have anything similar to Carnival's early saver rate, where you can get price drops all the way up until 2 days before your sail date if the price drops?

Anything else you want to tell me about these ships or NCL in general? Thanks! :)

Following!

I just posted a thread about recommendations for first time cruising on NCL. Those are the first two ships mentioned and that I was looking at. So you asked some great questions when it comes to NCL that I'm definitely going to be following your thread for.

Legally Blond has been replaced by Million Dollar Quartet. MDQ is an excellent show.

The Escape has a few more good restaurants and improved their ropes course. I would opt for the Escape. We have sailed on the BA, GA and Escape two times each.

Your subject line says breakaway ?? Did u mean getaway?? We love breakaway bc we love going to Bermuda for three full days. We get to see and do so much. Whichever you do if you have three people or less grab an aft facing balcony cabin on deck 9. Amazing views and largest balcony

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Assumed you are referring to Breakway, homeport in New York - in trying to comapre with Getaway/Escape out of FL:

OP, from ATL - I would suggesting going with the Escape or GA out of MIA, flight time (or, driving distance :eek:) would more or less about the same to NYC area or down to the Sunshine State ... hotel & ground transport/transfer costs are lower down south, unless you plan/want to set aside time to sightsee in NY pre- or post-cruise. This is assuming the Caribbean is on your bucket list and not Bermuda. based on the ship's announced itineraries for 2017 in general. Shows on these ships are contracted and they could/been known to change - just enjoy whatever on the week of your sailing & not based your choice on entertainment alone, same with the pending changes to add Margaritaville as a la carte/paid dining option.

Whether it's GA or Escape, you will have more port time/days vs. sea days out of NY on the BA with Port Canaveral as a near definite stop and GSC (being upgraded with more luxury $$ optional packages ... soon) as a tender port that sometimes become a "Fun Day At Sea" - and, Nassau as the 3rd. stop that some of us get tired of (a "dump" to be avoided, quoting others - by just staying onboard the ship)

Edited by mking8288