Car Seats and public buses in Ketchikan

straychicken

We are traveling an Alaska cruise departing next Sunday June 19.

We have two kids ages 3 and 6. I am wondering if car seats are required to use the public shuttle buses in the ports, particularly for Ketchikan. Also, if we use a taxi would we have to carry the car seats with us.

We are renting a car in Juneau and Skagway, so I don't think we would use shuttles there.

We are traveling to Denali toward the end of our trip and are aware that we have to bring car seats for those shuttle buses. I bought a car seat back pack to make that easier (it should also be helpful at the airport).

I have seen kids on the Ketchikan city buses on laps and remaining in the strollers. I'd suggest you contact them directly and inquire what the official requirements are.

In Denali - Please be very realistic. If the 3 year old can't sit still in the seat, becomes restless, get off the bus. Frankly you must be accepting of this, and well prepared, since you will be out in the open along side the road. It isn't going to be well accepted by the other bus riders if you don't. This is an adult priority based shuttle.

Not trying to sound mean. But I have been on 2 shuttle buses with disrupted kids. One finally did get off the bus, but the other didn't get the hint, and finally, the bus came to a hault, driver looking at them in the mirror, along with everyone else- simply stated, "you need to get off the bus, for a break". I could see panic, as the bus pulled away and they were left, scratching their heads, with one child- looked to be running away?