Booking children in their own stateroom

Circusboy354

As a Princess Elite cruiser.....I suggest you try and find a Celebrity Solstice Class ship that suits and book their family oceanview cabin - it accommodates 5 and includes a 2nd bedroom with bunk beds and is larger than most of the suites onboard for the price of only a top level balcony cabin. By far the best family accommodation we have had on any ship with a massive living room. The deck 8 cabins have a much larger balcony than the deck 7 ones :-)

Cheers

Ando

notentirelynormal,

FYI when we were on the Emerald for the NYE cruise, we found that the mini suites on emerald deck had connecting doors in them. It seems that some of the ships are doing this during dry dock. Nice for families that need connecting rooms.

I think it is a great idea and have noticed that on a few ships. Not sure it is on the one I just booked though. I had to go for the date and then itinerary. With kids in school that also attend summer school (special needs) and other extra curricular it was tough to find a cruise for those two weeks. It will be even harder as the younger two have regular school too.

I just checked. None of the Grand but I see they have now added "adjoining cabin" selection on their deck plans. Cool.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I was trying to find one of my kids' cards to see what they say, and only could find mine. Down in the right bottom corner of mine, it says 5A. This indicates that I had 5 previous cruises (at that time) and that I'm an Adult. The children's card don't have that A because they aren't adults. I can't recall if 18-20 is considered "adult" or if they have a different indication. I wish I could find my son's card from that cruise because he was 18. Maybe someone else here remembers.

21 and older A

18-20 *

17 and under blank

21 and older A

18-20 *

17 and under blank

Thank you! I was sure someone would know this. I was pretty sure there was an indication of 18-20 but couldn't find a card to see what it was. So they do indicate child/adult/drinking age adult, but it is subtle.

Thank you! I was sure someone would know this. I was pretty sure there was an indication of 18-20 but couldn't find a card to see what it was. So they do indicate child/adult/drinking age adult, but it is subtle.

Some European cruises (such as the British Isles ones) have a minimum drinking age of 18.

No Princess will not allow you to book a minor in a cabin even if it is next to you. I had the same issue. I am taking my four grandchildren who will then be 6, 8, 10 and 12. I was going to put at least the two oldest in that cabin and that is what I originally booked.

After about three weeks I decided that wasn't the right move. I just couldn't be comfortable with them across the hall from me no matter how mature they were. Now we are booked in two mini suites side by side. They will sleep in one and we in the other. At least that is the plan. Obviously if one has a problem they will be in with us. The balcony doors will be open so we can wonder between the two cabins.

At no time will one of the kids be asleep in the cabin without an adult. Well, the 12 YO is actually old enough to babysit so he will be in charge at night. Regardless, Grandpa will probably be asleep and in close range during the evening hours. Even if we start at the show and one quits, the others will stay and Grandpa will hold down the home fort.

So, that is your option. The family suite or two side by sides. Your comfort zone is what counts.

Letting small children have access to adjacent cabins USING THE BALCONY is a really bad idea. I suggest you find some other arrangement.

I had never noticed that number. Just looked at the card from my last cruise and saw "5A" just as you gave in your example. Everyone in my group was an adult so I have no way to compare that with a child's card.

Does anyone have a recent cruise card that was for a child?

There is nothing on a cruise card for someone under 18, Additionally, when a person boards a ship, their photo is taken and that photo is stored in the ship's system. Every time that person, regardless of age, leaves the ship or comes back on, the card is scanned by the ship's security personnel. The photo is compared to the person who presented the card to make sure that the person coming/leaving is the actual it is supposed to be. Thus, it would be quite evident whether the card that was being scanned belonged to an adult or a child.

Tom