Are your own umbrellas, beach tent/shelter allowed on Horshoe and Tobacco Beaches?

jojo412

Hi all,

I know they rent out umbrellas and chairs, but what if we wanted to bring our own umbrella...is this allowed at both Horshoe and Tobacco Bay Beach? Dont want to bring it along only to have us told we can't put it up when we arrive on the beach.

Similarly, are beach tents allowed on the beach? If you don't know what I'm referring to, here's a link to one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RQQRTSM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1465788437&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=beach+pop+up+tent&dpPl=1&dpID=41IjwcBT7OL&ref=plSrch

They are light weight and compact, and provide great coverage from the sun..

Has anyone seen these on the beaches? Will there be any issues if we put ours up?

Thank you in advance, as always!!

While they are allowed on the beaches and you can bring your own - the public buses are crowded and typically full, without extra room for boarding with folding chairs/tents/umbrellas - even if there's no rules prohibiting (not encouraged.) This is especially true when returning from the beach to the ships @ Dockyard, where it's typically standing room only on the buses. If you plan to take a taxi or private shuttle over, then it should be okay.

Edited by mking8288

Hi all,

I know they rent out umbrellas and chairs, but what if we wanted to bring our own umbrella...is this allowed at both Horshoe and Tobacco Bay Beach? Dont want to bring it along only to have us told we can't put it up when we arrive on the beach.

Similarly, are beach tents allowed on the beach? If you don't know what I'm referring to, here's a link to one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RQQRTSM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1465788437&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=beach+pop+up+tent&dpPl=1&dpID=41IjwcBT7OL&ref=plSrch

Has anyone seen these on the beaches? Will there be any issues if we put ours up?

I wouldn't bring that gear on public transportation; it is already crowded enough at times. Tobacco Bay is very small and run like a private beach with a concession. I think bringing your own gear would be acceptable but frowned upon. You'd be taking away space from paying customers. On any other beach this would be totally acceptable, however, so go ahead and bring the gear, but travel by taxi instead of bus.

Hi all,

Would be fine at Horseshoe Bay but problematic at Tobacco Bay. Tobacco is a small beach. The private concession at Tobacco would likely object. I suspect they would not even allow it there.

Thanks again all!

We're planning to take the shuttle to horseshoe, not the bus.

The pop up tent actually is very compact and it folds into a size that can fit into my beach bag! The amazon link I sent was soemthing I was considering getting. That one is also compact and comes with a travel bag that you can sling over a shoulder , and is packed away to the size of a camping chair. Either way it wouldn't take up any space whilst we are travelling..or at least not more than our large beach bag with towels, snorkels, etc

A couple of other questions:

Just want to confirm umbrellas are rented out at Tobacco Beach? I'm almost certain through my research, I think it's around 25 for two chairs and an umbrella please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it very windy in Bermuda in mid July? Or does it depend on the day? Just wondering if we bring our little beach tent which does not hold up very well on windy days.

Thanks again!

Edited by jojo412

A couple of other questions:

Just want to confirm umbrellas are rented out at Tobacco Beach? I'm almost certain through my research, I think it's around 25 for two chairs and an umbrella please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was just there on June 2nd, and Tobacco Bay had lounge chairs with built-in canopies (not exactly umbrellas) for $20 or something like that. I think they offered lounge chairs without the sun cover for $10. I needed the sun protection despite the fact that it was a cloudy day -- I'm a redhead! :D

Edited by JustAllie

I was just there on June 2nd, and Tobacco Bay had lounge chairs with built-in canopies (not exactly umbrellas) for $20 or something like that. I think they offered lounge chairs without the sun cover for $10. I needed the sun protection despite the fact that it was a cloudy day -- I'm a redhead! :D

I paid $15 for a chair with the sun cover at Tobacco Bay yesterday.

Edited by Charles4515