Best for Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau with baby in tow!

Egret32

Grandparents, parents, and very easy 18 month old doing a Princess cruise

in August. Grandparents (us) are very frequent and hardy cruisers and usually do private tours, but try to scale things back with baby in tow. He's very easy, sleeps well, and loves a backpack. Parents often hike with him and he's done well on a trip to visit his Italian family. But we also don't want to annoy other travelers.

We'd like to do half-day private tours (without spending a fortune) for 4 adults and the babe. Dog mushing sounds great as he lives with very big dogs and farm animals and is fearless and we are all dog lovers. Is there a way to get to one of these facilities without a long tour?

Any other ideas in the other locales by Alaska regulars?

Thanks!

Have you considered renting a car in each of the ports? There are national brands and local agencies - just google the stop and car rentals, and the companies will come up. Then you can ask on these boards any questions you might have. With a car, you can be on you own schedule, not bother any one, and probably get to see more things.

look over your ship's excursion list for each port. If there are activities that you would like to replicate but with an independent vendor, let us know and you'll get recommendations.

Also, look at each town's web site and download their Visitor Guide. Lots of useful information there to review. You'll find the web sites in this link, reply 9 and 10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988

Edited by mapleleaves

Why didn't I think of that? We do it all the time in Europe--which is more complicated. Any ideas for the easiest rental agencies nearest the port in

Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway?

Where might be the easiest place to see the dog mushers--driving ourselves.

Any other highly recommended (but not too long) drives in those areas?

I assume we can get 4-wheelers. One of us lives up a mountain road, so

we are very familiar.

In May we rented from Avis in Juneau and Alaskan Car Rental in Ketchikan . Alaskan Car Rental will come pick you up at the port and take you back when you return your rental. Avis is a short, maybe 8-10 minutes walk from the port to pick up your car. My husband and I went and got the mini van then drove to the port to get the rest of our party.

In Skagway we booked a private tour with Skagway Private Tours. It was a wonderful customizable tour up to Emerald Lake and back. It would also be a great option as you can tour at a pace that works for you and avoid the crowds.

In Ketchikan, I too, have rented from Alaskan Car Rental. I once left a book in the car when I returned it, and they came back to the ship to deliver my book. Can't ask for better customer service than that. I've driven to the end of the road at Settler's Cove, Totem Bight State Park, and Ward Lake. This year I'll be driving to Saxman Village, another totem park in the opposite direction.

In Juneau I've always rented from Juneau Car Rental. They are another local company, with cars that are in excellent running condition, but a few years old. Their lot is at the far end of the pier, so if you are docked closer to town, there are some national agencies that are closer. I've always enjoyed the walk over to their lot, but others don't. I've driven to Mendenhall Glacier, the salmon hatchery, Auke Bay, Alaska Brewery, St Terese's Shrine, and the end of the road.

In Skagway, I've rented from Avis since they do not have a cancellation charge like some of the local agencies. I've used the car to drive to Emerald Lake. That might be too much car time with a small one, although you can get out of the car frequently.

You can google the various places to go and ask more questions here, to see if they are kid friendly for your group.

I've taken all this good advice and rented cars in all ports. Really good deals compared to tours and we like to be independent. Now I am reconsidering Ketchikan as we are only there till 2 PM. Is there enough to do within walking distance in town?

And in Juneau and Skagway, can we drive to a dog mushing spot? If not for a ride, just to see the dogs?

Also, outside of Skagway or Juneau....a few good spots for moderate hikes (the kids and baby are fine. I'm the slowpoke.)

In Juneau, Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier is an enjoyable, mostly flat 0.9 mile stroll with beautiful views, The trail ends on a sand spit near the falls and on the shores of Mendenhall Lake. We always take this trail and enjoy the view stroll a lot. I also like to walk around St Terese Shrine. It’s right on the fjord and very peaceful. There are also some nice trails at the top of the Mt Roberts tram.

In Skagway there's Lower Dewey Lake. The lake itself is 0.9 miles up, and there are trails that go around the lake, too. There’s a nice view of the port area with the ships, too. You can also go just on the outskirts of town to the Gold Rush Cemetery. At the back of the cemetery is a short trail to Lower Reid Falls. You can walk to the cemetery and falls from town (4 miles round trip), or drive to the cemetery.

I was only in Ketchikan last time until noon, and had plenty of time to drive to Totem Bight and walk around Ward Lake. 2:00 PM sounds likes lots of time 

I’ve found most of the trails I’ve taken by googling the city name and trails or hikes.

I don’t know about the dog mushing places.

Edited by RSF Cruiser