Getaway in the Baltics

Markanddonna

NCL will be sending the Getaway to the Baltics next year. We sailed on the Getaway this past January and as "more mature" passengers, weren't that impressed. So much of the ship's valuable real estate was taken up by slides, kiddie pools, obstacle courses, etc and that made the pool deck scrunched. This seems to be a criticism of the Getaway in many reviews. When I saw the "adult pool", my thoughts were "where's the regular pool?" There is a relatively small adult pool with no roof or cover and the other pool is where you "land" after going down the slide.

Since the ship was designed for warm Miami sailings, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for the Baltics. The Haven is where many ships have their fabulous observation lounge and the best "views" are from private areas or specialty restaurants. Inclement and cooler weather will present a challenge for the 4,000 passengers looking for indoor space.

I love the itinerary NCL is presenting but not crazy about the Getaway.

I think the issue of the distance between ports was a topic discussed in another post, not this one. The poster's issue was that the Getaway may not be able to do Stockholm. The Getaway is scheduled to be in Stockholm but at a different "gateway" to the city.

My concern was that the Getaway was built for warm weather, not the Baltics.

I booked the Getaway, one of the 9 night Baltic variation sailings at the end of season. I understand weather may put a damper on the outdoor activities and cause more crowding in indoor areas so I booked a spa room. The Haven with it's open courtyard could easily be not very usable so the extra cost not worth it to me. I imagine spa passes will be in high demand on these sailings.

My reasoning behind booking the Getaway? I've always wanted to try a mega ship but taking long flights to get to Florida or New York just to get on a mega ship for a beach vacation doesn't appeal to me. If we end up disliking the mega ship experience we still have the spa and the great ports. The only trade is potential crowds and no sail into Stockholm.

The NCL ships that sail to Alaska often have weather related issues and no covered area like Holland America ships unless in Haven. Those sailings are still very popular and I've been on board in good and bad weather. No horrible crowding noted but hard to compare those ships to a mega ship.

NCL will be sending the Getaway to the Baltics next year. We sailed on the Getaway this past January and as "more mature" passengers, weren't that impressed. So much of the ship's valuable real estate was taken up by slides, kiddie pools, obstacle courses, etc and that made the pool deck scrunched. This seems to be a criticism of the Getaway in many reviews. When I saw the "adult pool", my thoughts were "where's the regular pool?" There is a relatively small adult pool with no roof or cover and the other pool is where you "land" after going down the slide.

Since the ship was designed for warm Miami sailings, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for the Baltics. The Haven is where many ships have their fabulous observation lounge and the best "views" are from private areas or specialty restaurants. Inclement and cooler weather will present a challenge for the 4,000 passengers looking for indoor space.

The Getaway and its sisters are specifically targeted to families. That's why there are the water slides, ropes course, spider climb, bungee trampoline, kids water park and mini golf. I don't think it's any secret that the "more mature" passengers wouldn't enjoy these features. I do agree with you that the "main pool" on Getaway is not designed very well, but that seems to be a criticism among many of the NCL ships. The other pool is designated as a kids pool. None of the five water slides dump out into that pool. It's just a pool where kids can swim. Adults can swim there too if they don't mind the children. Many parents get in that pool with their kids.

As far as being right for the Baltics... I get what you are saying. But the Breakaway sailing from New York to Bermuda or the Gem sailing out of New York to the Caribbean have the exact same issues during their winter sailings. Too cold to use the slides or pools on the first two and last two days. In order to get a ship that was "just right" for the Baltics, NCL would have to build a ship with a covered, heated pool and maybe have more indoor observation space. Unless this ship was permanently dedicated to be a "cooler climate" ship, it'd be tough, since most ships are regularly rotated around the world.

The reason you dislike the ship is the reason I am going to be booking her in the next day or two - I think it will be good for a family cruise with a teen and tween (although I do prefer the smaller ships, I will see what this has to offer).

As to your point regarding going to this ship sailing in the Baltics, we are going in July. Although it will not be the heat of Miami, there is enough to do inside on these big ships. We had cruised through a hurricane to Bermuda (the top of the ship was completely closed off for two days) - but we made the most of it and still enjoyed the cruise, activities, excursions, etc. Although I did enjoy the closed dome over the main pool area on the Carnival Splendor last year to Canada, not all cruise ships have that ability.

It is the weather while in port that worries me a lot more.

We spent almost 4 weeks on a Baltic TA. The weather in Helsingborg Sweden, Dover Endland then Copenhages. This was the beginning of May. The port cities warmed up to about 70 degrees and sunny. You just never know so think layers when you pack.

I booked the Getaway, one of the 9 night Baltic variation sailings at the end of season. I understand weather may put a damper on the outdoor activities and cause more crowding in indoor areas so I booked a spa room. The Haven with it's open courtyard could easily be not very usable so the extra cost not worth it to me. I imagine spa passes will be in high demand on these sailings.

Doesn't the Getaway has the retractable roof the Breakaway has? If it has that, it's perfect for sailings in colder climate.

I believe you are thinking of the Breakaway Haven pool area. I understand the Getaway does not have any retractable roof over any pool. It seems the Getaway is not ideal for Stockholm either. There are benefits to less than massive ships.