Facebook messenger calling feature

lulugracie

It worked in February but when I tried it two weeks ago, it didn't. I was on a nine day cruise and I tried every day. They must have found a way to block it somehow because it worked off the ship.

It worked for us this past week on the Breeze! I almost think we were TOO connected! LOL! What is that saying about getting what you ask for......?????

Can you walk me thru this process to use this feature.. Need to be able to check in kids when we are gone next week.. Sailing on breeze

Can you walk me thru this process to use this feature.. Need to be able to check in kids when we are gone next week.. Sailing on breeze

Worked on the Splendor last month for us -it's how my nephew stayed connected to his girlfriend the entire cruise. Nothing to walk through really - connect to the ship's wifi when you go out to sea. Buy the social media package, open facebook, then depending on your phone, slide left to open chat, click on the person and as long as they are online, you can facebook chat. You can also send messages through the Facebook messenger feature.

Worked on the Splendor last month for us -it's how my nephew stayed connected to his girlfriend the entire cruise. Nothing to walk through really - connect to the ship's wifi when you go out to sea. Buy the social media package, open facebook, then depending on your phone, slide left to open chat, click on the person and as long as they are online, you can facebook chat. You can also send messages through the Facebook messenger feature.

So you don't incur any charges on your phone providing you buy the media package from the ship? Does the media package work for multiple phones or 1 package per device?

Getting the social media package once on the ship is really easy. My tip, try the calling feature now while you are at home, so you and your kids know how to do it. Then, once on the ship, its a piece of cake. First time you open your internet on the ship, the menu will be there for you to purchase the various level social media plans.

I used it last fall on the Elation. The texting feature works a little better than the phone calling feature. There's a slight delay and a bit of a tin sound to the quality. But its good if your kids just want to hear your voice. It works better on different parts of the ship and some phones seem to work better than others. My friend and I stayed in the same cabin and her phone worked better than mine when we called our husbands and kids.

So you don't incur any charges on your phone providing you buy the media package from the ship? Does the media package work for multiple phones or 1 package per device?

1 device at a time, but you can disconnect to use another one, just not simultaneously.

The Social Media app is $5 per day. It can be purchased one day at a time or as a package for everyday of the cruise. We paid $40 or $45 for an 11 day cruise so there is a little price break during the longer cruises. This works with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,, and maybe another app or two. The facebook messenger and calling both worked on our Elation cruise in April. The wifi can be a bit spotty, so there's not always a great connection with the calls.

There is also the Carnival hub app. You download the app and then pay $5 to use it during your cruise. It is good for connecting with others ON THE SHIP, as well as getting the fun times, ship information and maps, your sign and sail info, and activities. It's only available on some of the ships and only good for the duration of the cruise. Each time you cruise you have to pay $5 to use it. It does not allow you to use other apps so it is not for keeping in touch with people at home.

Edited by kait17

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so.... I have Verizon. I am confused what do I have to do?

I'm sorry

You connect through ships wifi. There are directions on one of the flyers that will be in your cabin when you arrive. If I remember right you turn airplane mode on and wifi on and open the browser to put your info in, $5 a day or I paid $35 for an 8 day on the pride. This however was before the hub app was available so I don't know if its different with that.

I am sailing with 2 teenagers so 3 of us in one cabin. Can we all 3 use the Facebook messenger app to communicate via text while onboard? Do I purchase 3 social media packages? Can I even purchase 3 ? I'm confused because it says 1 device only, so not sure if it is one device per cabin, or 1 device per social media plan. The Hub app is not available yet for our ship [emoji27] (Liberty)

I am sailing with 2 teenagers so 3 of us in one cabin. Can we all 3 use the Facebook messenger app to communicate via text while onboard? Do I purchase 3 social media packages? Can I even purchase 3 ? I'm confused because it says 1 device only, so not sure if it is one device per cabin, or 1 device per social media plan. The Hub app is not available yet for our ship [emoji27] (Liberty)

It is per device, so if you want 3 phones connected each one has to be signed in on a social media package.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk