Acknowledging the waiters at dinner

Some of you commented to mention the wait staff by name on the review, and I did do that when I got to the page where I could comment. I agree that is more important than the 10 on the survey.

I hope RCI either drops the waiter parade or keeps it to one night. I am relieved that I am not a real scrooge about this, or not the only one. ;)

The asking for a 10 won't go away since it comes from the top and the wait staff seems to be under pressure to get the 10.

If this is running people away from the MDR, RCI needs to change it.

This! In reading the comments, I was thinking "I hope RCI reads this and makes changes.

We had the parade on the last night too on Freedom, but not on 2 other nights. And yes, there was the insisting on giving them 10s.

Hard for me to stomach watching the ridiculous parade knowing the wait staff works more than eight hours a day, SEVEN days a week, for SEVEN months. By the 5th cruise, I am sure the staff must begin to feel like trained seals.

My last lead server was a true gentleman - a professional who was highly-trained, kind, and a family man. I could tell it was embarrassing for him, which made me feel awkward too.

RC needs to treat their employees better, and they will give stellar service. The last night should be a show of appreciation to the customers from a happy, well-paid, well-treated staff -instead of making them grovel for gold stars like first graders - which in my mind, doesn't feed one's wife and kids very well.

Edited by GulfSurferGirl

The waitstaff on these ships are contractual. The positions they hold are not permanent and therefore there is no job security. Most come from developing countries and have families to support back home. Getting less than perfect may mean their contracts won't be renewed which is why they work hard and go out of their way to please you. Your waitstaff asking/begging for a perfect score is just a tiny inconvenience that isn't difficult to endure. Cut them some slack.

Cheers.

The situation described by the OP seems WAY over-the-top.

As for begging for a 10...after our last cruise I simply did not fill out a survey. While all of the staff we encountered were good, they were not even close to deserving a 10 and I refuse to give someone a perfect score when, if I was honest, they would only get a 7 or 8.

If we take another cruise, I will once again forgo the survey unless it is really bad or they are, in fact, deserving of a 10...and that is not likely.

We have had this on Royal, Carnival, and Disney. Like others I find this uncomfortable. We will fill out the survey but only with the scores that we feel are appropriate for the service we have received. We do mention people by name that have given us great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most of the ships have dropped the "waiter parade" and I, for one, am grateful and happy.

:rolleyes:

What you experienced was definitely over the top. That makes me very uncomfortable, just reading about it.

Besides hearing about it, we saw lots of subtle hints for 10's all over the ship.

10dessert.jpg

Besides hearing about it, we saw lots of subtle hints for 10's all over the ship.

10dessert.jpg

You should have switched those numbers and said "One more mention about needing a 10 and you get this score" while pointing to your modification. :D

It's more the fault of the rating system. All the surveys that ask for a scale of "1-5" or "1-10"...when management reviews the results, they only look at the % of 5s or % of 10s given. But it doesn't take into account people's grading scale. If someone does their job really well, but doesn't give you a free glass of champagne every night, some people will give them a 9 and the waiter will get dinged for not getting a 10. It'd be better if the surveys changed to a scale of 1-2 or 1-3.

It's more the fault of the rating system. All the surveys that ask for a scale of "1-5" or "1-10"...when management reviews the results, they only look at the % of 5s or % of 10s given. But it doesn't take into account people's grading scale. If someone does their job really well, but doesn't give you a free glass of champagne every night, some people will give them a 9 and the waiter will get dinged for not getting a 10. It'd be better if the surveys changed to a scale of 1-2 or 1-3.

I think it would be better if the "powers that be" in Miami weren't too lazy to actually review the surveys carefully rather than have some clerk punch the number into a program that spit out a score.

If you aren't going to allow the customer to actually give an honest evaluation, then take the time to really analyze the results then just eliminate the survey...because the results are meaningless.

I specially hate this begging for 10 with My Time Dining on the last night. We might have had different team each night, some are good, others not. If i give 1 or 10, it reflects every single waiter, good or bad. That's not fair at all!

That is not standard on all ships. There wasn't anywhere near that much fanfare on our recent Liberty cruise. Though our wait staff was very friendly and did very well for us, they never pressed for "only a 10" on the survey. I think there was a comment encouraging us to fill out the survey, and to give them a good score, if we enjoyed the service. But it was nothing that felt like insisting on a "10."

We had the three parades on a recent Navigator cruise. They were fun, everyone around us seemed to enjoy them and not once did it seem like they were 'begging'. I actually think that a round of applause is a good way to show recognition (in addition to tips of course!)

Those of you saying you won't do the survey because you tip and that should be enough are kind of missing the point. The number of guests a waiter has in their 'section' is increased according to good feedback, so by not commenting for good service then you are limiting their ability to earn.

I absolutely agree with everyone saying that you shouldn't give 10s, just because they have been asked for. I've been lucky that all my wait staff have been excellent (or I have low standards!)

We had the three parades on a recent Navigator cruise. They were fun, everyone around us seemed to enjoy them and not once did it seem like they were 'begging'. I actually think that a round of applause is a good way to show recognition (in addition to tips of course!)

You wouldn't do it in a normal restaurant, so why do it on a cruise?

The only time I've ever clapped a 'waiter' was when a bunch of school kids came to my work to make lunch as part of their cookery course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't do it in a normal restaurant, so why do it on a cruise?

I don't eat in the same restaurant 7 days on the trot, with the same waiters who know me by name - if I did I probably would applaud them too! I do a lot of things on a cruise I don't do in 'normal' day to day life. That's why I enjoy taking holidays...

When on the May 22, 2016 Allure of the Seas cruise, we had a good waiter and assistant waiter. We had early, traditional dining. The bartender who took our drink order each night also did a good job. On Tuesday, they had the parade of waiters and we all acknowledged them with applause, waving napkins, etc. The Maitre 'D announced how many meals the waiters delivered during the cruise, which was a huge number, as you might guess. This was also applauded with enthusiasm.

The next night was the parade of chefs and everyone again applauded and waved napkins, etc. We appreciate the chefs.

On the second to last night, our waiter and assistant waiter came together asked if there was anything they could do better for us and we all smiled and told them we were happy with their service. They told us we would get a survey and that a 10 was the only score that mattered. We all again assured them we were happy with them.

On the last night, just after getting the dessert menu, they played the "Happy" song and people got to their feet and some danced with the waiters and the Maitre 'D again told us how hard working the waiter staff is and gave us the number of meals statistics again and went on some with this and then asked if we didn't think they all deserved a standing ovation? Everyone stood then and applauded them all again.

We had given the waiter, assistant waiter and bartender an additional tip early at dinner when they came to take our order. We had prepaid tips, but felt they deserved the additional cash tip.

I respect that the Maitre 'D appreciates and supports his staff. I thought the last night was kind of overdone and was a little uncomfortable with this much adulation on top of the two nights earlier in the week.

I wonder if this is now happening on all ships?

(When the survey came, I was comfortable with giving our wait staff a 10. I don't think they should ask for it, though. This did not stop me from giving the 10, which was deserved.)

We just returned from a wonderful week aboard the Allure of the seas. We had all the same experience you mention above but we did not feel pressured to give more. These people work hard every day. I for one and happy they get the acknowledgement and yes we did give our waiter and assistant water a little extra on the last night.

We did the my time dining and had the same crew each night. I felt they did a great job and earned it.

I don't eat in the same restaurant 7 days on the trot, with the same waiters who know me by name - if I did I probably would applaud them too! I do a lot of things on a cruise I don't do in 'normal' day to day life. That's why I enjoy taking holidays...

If you ate in a normal restaurant 7 days on the trot they would be applauding you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember thinking that the parades were fun when I first started cruising. So, again, we have another repeat cruiser problem. On my last cruise (on the Enchantment), 2200 out 2600 were first time cruisers. If there was a parade (I skipped the MDR), then more than likely, most of the dining room patrons got a huge kick out of it.

I also get it that all of the newbies need to know that there is a survey that goes out at the end of the cruise and that high ratings do positively impact those who have given you good service. Perhaps, the head waiter could make such a speech to each table once during the cruise.

I remember thinking that the parades were fun when I first started cruising. So, again, we have another repeat cruiser problem. On my last cruise (on the Enchantment), 2200 out 2600 were first time cruisers. If there was a parade (I skipped the MDR), then more than likely, most of the dining room patrons got a huge kick out of it.

I also get it that all of the newbies need to know that there is a survey that goes out at the end of the cruise and that high ratings do positively impact those who have given you good service. Perhaps, the head waiter could make such a speech to each table once during the cruise.

I would think that most adults would understand that high ratings on a survey have a positive impact without being told. I mean...after all...most are at least semi-intelligent. I can see letting them know they will receive a survey, but nothing more is needed.

As for everyone that seems to think the crew deserves extra recognition because they work hard and long hours...and I am sure I will get flamed for this...I almost laugh. Just because someone works hard does not mean they are doing an exceptional job. In fact, it doesn't even mean they are doing a good job. The profession/current position they have chosen is just that...a choice. I doubt seriously that anyone put a gun to their head and made them sign their contract, since that is illegal in most countries. And unless this is their first contract, they knew about the compensation, work load and hours when they chose to sign the contract.

Now I do think some professions should be better compensated...the crew on a ship would be a ways down the list if I could chose the professions that would see an increase...but 90% of people go into a position informed and with their eyes open. The same thing applies to all people in all professions...if you don't like your job, quit and/or find another.

If waiting staff deserved 10s they probably wouldn't be working on cruise ships on a poverty wage.

Right, because a deserving waiter working at a restaurant in Manila makes so much more than on a cruise ship.:rolleyes:

Right, because a deserving waiter working at a restaurant in Manila makes so much more than on a cruise ship.:rolleyes:

Well since you mentioned Manila...the average annual salary there is about $11,000 (US), so it they are making $235 (US) a week in salary and tips they are better off.

Honest question (because I don't know and have never asked), does the crew pay for their meals while on the ship?

I don't usually do these surveys because my default score for great service would be in the 8-9 range. No one is perfect, so perfect scores all around should be quite rare. I'm not a fan of grade inflation.

So knowing that nothing but a "10" is acceptable to anyone, I'll just skip it rather than hurt my servers with a "great" (but not great enough) survey.

I would think that most adults would understand that high ratings on a survey have a positive impact without being told. I mean...after all...most are at least semi-intelligent. I can see letting them know they will receive a survey, but nothing more is needed.

We all know that Royal really does look at their surveys. I feel certain that there are many companies out there that automatically send out surveys and don't pay attention to the results. I personally have a tendency not to complete all the customer service surveys I receive - even though that might not speak well of me. My point was that someone new to the line would not know that taking the time to complete one would really help the person that gave them excellent service and that it was not just a throwaway exercise.

This is certainly very uncomfortable and something I just experienced on Adventure too. It was almost on the verge of begging...Also at the end of my meal I don't care to have my waiter tell me about the next menu for breakfast possible lunch and dinner recommendations and ask me to please come back, and certainly not about the next day onboard activities...I don't think this should be a waiter's job and it was indeed very uncomfortable.

I agree. I just got off the Jewel. We had particularly delightful tablemates and it seemed that every time we were engaged in wonderful conversation our waiter would appear with another "announcement" or to ask if we were enjoying our meals. A general question about the meal would be sufficient, but he would go to each person, put his face inches from theirs, and ask "are you enjoying your ***". I also did not appreciate a rundown of the evening activities. I certainly would not appreciate this in a land-based restaurant.

We too were informed several times that "Royal only recognizes 10's" and that their continued employment depends on it. Did not make for a pleasant atmosphere.

Edited by linkerbink