Infant travel questions on Alaska Ruby Princess cruise (traveling with twins)

FoodieMama

We are about to leave to go on the Ruby Princess cruise to Alaska. We have 11 month old twins. This is my first cruise, but my wife has cruised many times before.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if baby food is provided? Or can they puree food?

2. What type of crib is provided? Or is it a pack n play? I want to bring sheets from home for them, so it helps them ease into their new environment.

3. Should I bring a portable picnic blanket to lay out in various areas of the ship so the twins could crawl around a bit?

4. Does anyone have any tips for cruising on this ship with twins?

Thank you!

We are about to leave to go on the Ruby Princess cruise to Alaska. We have 11 month old twins. This is my first cruise, but my wife has cruised many times before.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if baby food is provided? Or can they puree food?

2. What type of crib is provided? Or is it a pack n play? I want to bring sheets from home for them, so it helps them ease into their new environment.

3. Should I bring a portable picnic blanket to lay out in various areas of the ship so the twins could crawl around a bit?

4. Does anyone have any tips for cruising on this ship with twins?

Thank you!

First, check out the family board there is tons of information there. There is also a lady who has been traveling single with her twins for many years. She, among man others, can give you great advise.

Yes, you can order baby food in advance. I believe it is Gerber. You can specify 10 bottles of fruit, 10 bottles of vegetables etc. The staff will do anything and everything you make their food possible.

If your kids are starting finger foods then when you go to the dinner let the waiters know and they will have that food sitting on the table when you arrive. It keeps them busy while you order. They will do their best to keep all of you happy and that includes your kids.

I believe it is a pack and play. If you are in a mini suite you will be able to put it in the closet area. You might even be able to get both in there (not sure about that). Yes, definitely bring your own sheets and blankets. The blankets they use are the same as for a bed. Same with pillows. Maybe their favorite stuffed (smelling) toy.

Cross pack your baby stuff like diapers. My DD used every single space in their suitcases to stuff diapers. Slap a label on a box as well. Make sure you bring one of those perfumed type bags for diaper disposal. No need for a smelly room or for the poor room steward to have to deal with it. There is also a washing machine on board.

Many will say to bring a small blow up pool. Those are for cabins that do not have tubs. They put them in the shower and bathe the baby that way. Also, if you have a balcony they put it out there for the kids to play. They fill it with water using the garbage can and empty through the drain (although I never remember seeing that drain). If not, you can scoop most of the water out using the garbage can again.

Personally, I've never understood those that say their 7 day cruise is ruined - ruined I tell you - because their toddler was disappointed in not being able to use the pool. I'm pretty sure it is not the kid and that you really can survive without it. Millions of toddlers all over the world survive without a pool for 7 days.

I would be cautious about them crawling around outside your cabin. You have about 3,000 other people walking around who might not be aware on the twins on the floor.

I assume since they are taking the time to ask they don't plan on being rude or inconsiderate. There is no problem putting it next to them when at the pool.

Since this is their first cruise with babies maybe they don't realize the linguistics of where a good place might be. I'm sure they have no intentions of letting the kids crawl just anywhere causing either their babies or others harm.

I have spent hours on the family board and I can't find up to date information to my questions for the Ruby Princess cruise regarding food and crib or pack n play. I have messages into the ship about this question, but no response yet.

I do plan on being cognizant of other passengers and it was never my intention to have them crawling around all over the floor. I was asking if there was a space that I could lay out a picnic blanket for them to play on the floor in that confined space. Yes, this is my first cruise. Thank you "notentirelynormal" for your response. They are full fare passengers who deserve a little 4 foot x 4 foot space for the two of them to play once in a while as well. I would think 2 adults would take up just as much space.

I have read at least a hundred posts from the mom of twins that is very active on this site and it has been helpful, but I was hoping for some up-to-date information specifically for the Ruby Princess. Her twins are older now and she doesn't seem to frequent Princess cruises much, so it's not 100% relevant to my questions and a bit out dated.

Thank you Paul929207. I tried calling that number but it's for a person on a different princess cruise ship. I have emailed the contact you provided as well.

We went on a 7 day Caribbean cruise - Regal Princess with my then 16 months old twin last year.

Try this email to order your baby food, dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com, they will send you two forms one for each to fill out of how many and what kind of Gerber you need, selection is very limited and double check the expiration date as I got some that was expired. When you get on the ship if your baby food is not here in the room call room service.

Don't bring double stroller, we bought two single Britax strollers and that was too big for our cabin door which was okay just take them out before you collapse the strollers. But I wanted comfy/good shade stroller while walking around in port so it was better than umbrella stroller option. They slept in it while we watch Movie Under the Star which was awesome.

Don't expect to do too much, don't set high expectation, we just enjoyed being together and we spend hours watching them play and run around in the Pelican club.

Make sure you bring more than enough diaper and wipes. I constantly clean their hands because I don't want them to get sick/norovirus..etc.

If I remember correctly is was Greco Pack and Play, we only got one not enough room for 2 set so one slept in the Pack and Play and one slept between us.

Edited by Mameow

I assume since they are taking the time to ask they don't plan on being rude or inconsiderate. There is no problem putting it next to them when at the pool.

Since this is their first cruise with babies maybe they don't realize the linguistics of where a good place might be. I'm sure they have no intentions of letting the kids crawl just anywhere causing either their babies or others harm.

I never thought that they would be rude or inconsiderate. Just that there are so many PAX on a ship that it is hard to find a space all to your self. One of the places that they may be able to crawl is in a lounge that is vacant.

I have read at least a hundred posts from the mom of twins that is very active on this site and it has been helpful, but I was hoping for some up-to-date information specifically for the Ruby Princess. Her twins are older now and she doesn't seem to frequent Princess cruises much, so it's not 100% relevant to my questions and a bit out dated.

Might need to look at Class for info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand-class_cruise_ship

Remember to store your stroller(s) in the cabin.

Edited by SadieN

Hopefully you'll be getting to your embarkation city (Seattle, Vancouver, Whittier/Anchorage?) at least a day ahead. Plan for a trip to a grocery store for the diapers, and other items you didn't want to lug onto a plane. Make sure to have any medications and diapers you might need -- the ship's store may not have infant/toddler supplies, or at least not the size nor brand you want.

FoodieMama,

Did you know you can take your twins to the Pelicans area any time it is open, as long as you stay with them? That might be a great place to let them crawl, play and safely explore. Here is a video of the area on the Ruby, fast forward to 3:30 to skip the boring interview part and take the 2 minute video tour.

On any Princess ship, including the Ruby, the dietary request for baby food is in the Personalizer online.

Edited by cherylandtk

We were on the Ruby in April with my two-year-old nephew. Although he's older than your twins, here are some suggestions that worked for my sister and brother-in-law:

Get traditional early dining. Our waiter had the high chair ready to go every night. There was no having to look for a high chair or wondering if one would be available.

Have the room steward make up the two lower beds as a queen and push it up against the wall, with the two nightstands against the other wall. This way if one of the babies is sleeping with you, they can be up against the wall side and they won't fall out.

Bring some of their favorite foods with you. My sister brought some of those squeeze pouches. Another big hit was a box of fruit loops from the breakfast buffet.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. :D

Bring the sheets from home and pack them in your carry on if your babies nap during the afternoon. On one of our cruises, they didn't make up the pack n play and planned to not make it up until bedtime It wasn't a problem since we carried our sheets onboard.

Go to the buffet and get a lot of fruit, yoghurt and boxed cereal to store in the room so you always have snacks on hand. Bring boxed cereals with you on excursions so your kids have snacks (fresh fruit is not allowed ashore). When your kids get fussy, let them choose a new cereal.

Also if princess no longer requires you to wear life jackets to muster drill (I can't remember which lines eliminated this) please check to make sure they put 2 kids life vests in your room. They've forgotten our sons on one cruise. Also if you are taking the babies on water kids get really cranky if their life vests are too tight.

Edited by kitkat343

I would be cautious about them crawling around outside your cabin. You have about 3,000 other people walking around who might not be aware on the twins on the floor.

I was once on a dance floor where a mom was allowing her child to crawl between the dancers. One by one the dancers left the floor in fear off tripping over her. Mom seemed pleased she cleared the floor and now the child had it all to herself. I'm sure the poster was not planning to do this but I mentioned it as an example of how inconsiderate some people are. By the way she was overheard saying, I paid for her, she has just as much right to the dance floor as anyone else.

I was once on a dance floor where a mom was allowing her child to crawl between the dancers. One by one the dancers left the floor in fear off tripping over her. Mom seemed pleased she cleared the floor and now the child had it all to herself. I'm sure the poster was not planning to do this but I mentioned it as an example of how inconsiderate some people are. By the way she was overheard saying, I paid for her, she has just as much right to the dance floor as anyone else.

Good thing I wasn't there. First, I would have said something. Then I would have said something like "well, I hope I don't accidentally kick her but I guess if you don't care if she's safe, neither do I, and if that didn't work I would have had a crew member remove her. If they didn't want to I would have escalated it to more senior management. I'm all for babies and kids cruising but I'm also for polite. That is UNSAFE people!

This is why you choose a line that is geared toward kids. DCL has toddler dance events and family dance parties, but after 9 pm all the nightclub areas are strictly enforced adult only.

I'm not implying that OP would be anything other than respectful of other passengers, but I can't think of a safe place for a toddler to crawl around on a ship other than in their cabin or in a designated toddler space.

You won't be tempted to use a blow up pool in Alaska. Don't bring one for that purpose (some people use them in the shower like a tub) but we always just showered with the babies when we were on vacation and it wasn't a problem. They never cried.

I'd recommend having a double (tandem) stroller because a side by side one won't fit through the doors. You can't park the stroller in the hall. When mine were younger they were in the stroller or a high chair in most areas. At 11 months- they are more apt to be walking or standing and holding on to the furniture. They probably won't be crawling. So I wouldn't bother with a blanket for the floor. You can always ask for an extra comforter or blanket for your room (from the steward).

Plan on doing a lot of walking with the kids. They will enjoy walking while holding your hands if they aren't walking on their own. There are many lounges onboard where they can toddle around. Just be prepared for them to head for the stairs. My boys loved climbing the stairs at that age.

Bring ALL the diapers you will need. There aren't really grocery stores in the ports of call. Juneau and Ketchikan may have little grocery stores but they won't necessarily have your size or brand. Skagway is really remote and I don't recall even seeing a convenience store there. ALSO bring bags to put the soiled diapers in (or your room with reek). The steward only visits twice a day to clean.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

You won't be tempted to use a blow up pool in Alaska. Don't bring one for that purpose (some people use them in the shower like a tub) but we always just showered with the babies when we were on vacation and it wasn't a problem. They never cried.

I'd recommend having a double (tandem) stroller because a side by side one won't fit through the doors. You can't park the stroller in the hall. When mine were younger they were in the stroller or a high chair in most areas. At 11 months- they are more apt to be walking or standing and holding on to the furniture. They probably won't be crawling. So I wouldn't bother with a blanket for the floor. You can always ask for an extra comforter or blanket for your room (from the steward).

Plan on doing a lot of walking with the kids. They will enjoy walking while holding your hands if they aren't walking on their own. There are many lounges onboard where they can toddle around. Just be prepared for them to head for the stairs. My boys loved climbing the stairs at that age.

Bring ALL the diapers you will need. There aren't really grocery stores in the ports of call. Juneau and Ketchikan may have little grocery stores but they won't necessarily have your size or brand. Skagway is really remote and I don't recall even seeing a convenience store there. ALSO bring bags to put the soiled diapers in (or your room with reek). The steward only visits twice a day to clean.

Thank you for the information and not just adding colorful commentary that is useless like implying how they would kick a child on the dance floor. :eek:

I am new to this site as I was looking for specific helpful information.

Bring the sheets from home and pack them in your carry on if your babies nap during the afternoon. On one of our cruises, they didn't make up the pack n play and planned to not make it up until bedtime It wasn't a problem since we carried our sheets onboard.

Go to the buffet and get a lot of fruit, yoghurt and boxed cereal to store in the room so you always have snacks on hand. Bring boxed cereals with you on excursions so your kids have snacks (fresh fruit is not allowed ashore). When your kids get fussy, let them choose a new cereal.

Also if princess no longer requires you to wear life jackets to muster drill (I can't remember which lines eliminated this) please check to make sure they put 2 kids life vests in your room. They've forgotten our sons on one cruise. Also if you are taking the babies on water kids get really cranky if their life vests are too tight.

Thank you for the useful tips and information!

As of December 2015, we DID have to bring lifejackets to the muster drill and put them on during the drill on the Caribbean Princess. I don't know whether this is fleet wide policy or not.

Yes, I've been on other lines where they are not required.

As of December 2015' date=' we DID have to bring lifejackets to the muster drill and put them on during the drill on the Caribbean Princess. I don't know whether this is fleet wide policy or not.

.[/quote']

Fleet wide on Princess.

Thank you for the information and not just adding colorful commentary that is useless like implying how they would kick a child on the dance floor. :eek:

I am new to this site as I was looking for specific helpful information.

Just a correction there. I NEVER said I would kick the child. I said I would try saying that to the mother in the hopes she would see how reckless she was being. I also would never be as ignorant as that mother and put my child - or the adults - in danger of getting hurt just because she paid for her child to be on a cruise. If you read the entire post you would have read that I would do whatever it took to get that child off the dance floor and safe.

I have added useful information to this thread about babies and how to travel with them. My children have been cruising since they were 7, long before children commonly cruised and certainly long before they had any children's facilities. My grandchildren have been cruising since they were very young as well. Six months, a year etc. My 11 YO grandson just completed his 6th cruise.

Sorry you were offended about my analogy. I will cease to offer my suggestions to you on how to cruise with small children. I've only done it over 15 times if you want to take each child as as a separate experience (since each child and cruise was a different experience).

I take it back. I will add one more thing. Discounting someone's advise because it is not this year's experience is not helping yourself. Cruise ships don't change that much from one year to the next nor do the procedures. While Mia's twins are older then yours, her experience with how to handle them on a cruise remains the same and many people find her posts valuable. She still had to feed them, bathe them and deal with them day to day. She still had to buy diapers and use a stroller. Mia travels often with her girls. Just last year she did a trip to Alaska so has experience there as well.

There are a large amount of people that travel with small children. You came on CC to learn from experienced cruisers but you don't seem to want to hear it. Even those without children or that travel without children have something they might be able to offer or they would not have taken their time to try to help you. Did you even know there were laundromats on the ship? Would it help in your planning to know there are ports in Alaska where you are not allowed to use them?