Last minute questions about Royal Princess- alarm clock and formal attire

lauren75

We are leaving at the end of June on a 7 night med cruise on the Royal Princess. Do you know if I should bring an alarm clock? I have gone on various lines before and some have a clock in the room and others don't.

I guess there are 2 formal nights for a 7 night trip? Does my husband need a jacket or can he get away with just a collared shirt and khakis? And can an upscale sundress work? We are trying to pack light. :cool:

What's a sun dress? If it would look good in a nice restaurant, then it's fine.

One thing about Princess that we really love is that formal night is still treated as 'formal night'. Our home life is fairly casual and we both enjoy the opportunity to dress up for the MDR while cruising. A cocktail dress, heels (rarely worn at home) and nice jewellery for me and definitely a jacket, good slacks and polished shoes for my husband. As someone else said, if you don't want to dress up on formal night in the MDR that's fine. Just eat in the buffet or out on the pool deck.

You'll find pax on this site who follow dress codes & then other pax who refuse to follow any type dress codes & dress how they want & to hell with everyone else. Just read the responses. They're easy to spot.

If you go to a fine dining restaurant, what's the issue with long sleeves? I mean at a seaside clambake I could see the issue. When eating out, I always love watching my brother. It's a laugh. He gets more food on him, than in him! I lean forward a bit, and "come" to the food,he sits back & "brings" the food to him. His wife hates doing his laundry.

We actually don't eat at any expensive restaurants but here in Florida almost no one wears long sleeve shirts for just about any event. People wear long pants but I only dig them out of the closet when it's time to cruise otherwise it's shorts all year long.

Hubby and I are going to be on Royal Princess this Aug too and I have been following this thread with interest - as previously done Med with Celebrity and RC.

On RC disappointingly khakis and short sleeves with casual shoes were passed for MDR on formal nights but on Celebrity (before they switched to Evening Chic - we've not been with them since) we were turned away from MDR for hubby not having a DJ/suit jacket. The long sleeved shirt and smart dark suit trousers & shoes weren't enough.

I had thought Princess would be formal like Celebrity (or like they used to be), but not as stuffy as Cunard?

Though, I have now from posts such as this gathered that formal nights on the Med are more formal than what you would get on US sailings - for more UK traditionalists onboard? :)

I'd be interested to know if MDR staff is ok with your hubby's planned outfit or your sun dress which no doubt can be dressed up with various accessories. Keep us posted? Thx.

Hubby and I are going to be on Royal Princess this Aug too and I have been following this thread with interest - as previously done Med with Celebrity and RC.

On RC disappointingly khakis and short sleeves with casual shoes were passed for MDR on formal nights but on Celebrity (before they switched to Evening Chic - we've not been with them since) we were turned away from MDR for hubby not having a DJ/suit jacket. The long sleeved shirt and smart dark suit trousers & shoes weren't enough.

I had thought Princess would be formal like Celebrity (or like they used to be), but not as stuffy as Cunard?

Though, I have now from posts such as this gathered that formal nights on the Med are more formal than what you would get on US sailings - for more UK traditionalists onboard? :)

I'd be interested to know if MDR staff is ok with your hubby's planned outfit or your sun dress which no doubt can be dressed up with various accessories. Keep us posted? Thx.

Things do change from time to time but in general the suit jacket hasn't been a required dress item in over 10 years on Princess. Last year (Nov) I was turned away on the Royal wearing dark dress pants with a white Polo shirt and no jacket. I changed into my blue long sleeve dress shirt and they were fine with that. I sat down, rolled up my sleeves & all was well.

Later on the same trip there were plenty of guys in short sleeve dress shirts without jackets in the same DR on formal nights.

We actually don't eat at any expensive restaurants but here in Florida almost no one wears long sleeve shirts for just about any event. People wear long pants but I only dig them out of the closet when it's time to cruise otherwise it's shorts all year long.

We ate at this nice rest. in Hollywood, Fl. the night before our Feb. Regal cruise & most people had on long sleeve shirts. Many had suits as well(a pricey place)So at least there it was as I usually see people dressed like at home. Then again, you'd never see me in a place like Applebee's/Golden Corral etc.( I like gourmet food)

Cunard is NOT stuffy. We're traditionalists who like the way Ocean liner dress codes used to be! Each cruise line to a point has it's own "Shtick". That's why there are so many different lines. Let's use Carnival Corp. as an example. I liken them to General Motors..Chevrolet(Carnival)Pontiac(Princess)Buick(HAL)Cadillac(Cunard) A bit strange but think about it a bit & it kind of makes sense.

So if you know what the "Shtick" is on Princess and it doesn't fit into your idea or desire for tradition why do you cruise on them? And then complain about it and try to get others to confirm to what you want?

So if you know what the "Shtick" is on Princess and it doesn't fit into your idea or desire for tradition why do you cruise on them? And then complain about it and try to get others to confirm to what you want?

Simply, because we weren't able to cruise the line we wanted due to a scheduling conflict. We decided to try Princess. It was a decent cruise. Nice ship, pretty good food. You seem to be the one who likes to get "others" to confirm to your own standards. I follow the established cruise guidelines. You, on the other hand, follow no guidelines but your own. If the night says formal, that's what we follow. You don't. Your own posts indicate that. Let's not get into wasteful arguing, or this post will get locked as have others.

We are leaving at the end of June on a 7 night med cruise on the Royal Princess. Do you know if I should bring an alarm clock? I have gone on various lines before and some have a clock in the room and others don't.

I guess there are 2 formal nights for a 7 night trip? Does my husband need a jacket or can he get away with just a collared shirt and khakis? And can an upscale sundress work? We are trying to pack light. :cool:

You can program the phone for a wake-up call and there is a itty, bitty digital clock displayed on the phone as well. I always take a travel alarm clock - I have never regretted having packed it.

Simply, because we weren't able to cruise the line we wanted due to a scheduling conflict. We decided to try Princess. It was a decent cruise. Nice ship, pretty good food. You seem to be the one who likes to get "others" to confirm to your own standards. I follow the established cruise guidelines. You, on the other hand, follow no guidelines but your own. If the night says formal, that's what we follow. You don't. Your own posts indicate that. Let's not get into wasteful arguing, or this post will get locked as have others.

I do nothing to get someone to conform to "my standards". I just let people know what the reality is on Princess ships. And that is what irritates those who think it is there duty to force people to conform to " Guidelines" that even the ship does not enforce. If the night says fornal and Princess has redifined what they allow then that is their call not someone who pushes another lines "Shtick" on people. You do have an agenda to try and get other lines to conform to your precious Cunard line. If peopke wanted that "Shtick" then they would cruise that line. Apparently they do not.

I do nothing to get someone to conform to "my standards". I just let people know what the reality is on Princess ships. And that is what irritates those who think it is there duty to force people to conform to " Guidelines" that even the ship does not enforce. If the night says fornal and Princess has redifined what they allow then that is their call not someone who pushes another lines "Shtick" on people. You do have an agenda to try and get other lines to conform to your precious Cunard line. If peopke wanted that "Shtick" then they would cruise that line. Apparently they do not.

Every bloody post you make on threads about formal night is to get someone to dress your way!! :D Feeling lonely in the crowd of dressed up people?:rolleyes:

Every bloody post you make on threads about formal night is to get someone to dress your way!! :D Feeling lonely in the crowd of dressed up people?:rolleyes:

Potstech has never said he wants people to conform to his way of dressing. He only informs people of the actuality of dress on Princess's ships, nothing more. If I were a newbie & someone told me the truth as he does, I would be delighted to have known it rather than someone posting the "rules" that aren't enforced anyway. People should know both sides of the story & let them decide for themselves as to how they want to dress.

Thank you!!! I just feel pax need to follow guidelines as to what the cruiseline feels is acceptable. I do agree(Really???)about Postech saying about ships not enforcing their own dress codes. I've seen pax turned away one night & admitted the next. All depends on what Maître D is at what entry way. They really need to enforce across the line or come up with a better plan.

Potstech has never said he wants people to conform to his way of dressing. He only informs people of the actuality of dress on Princess's ships, nothing more. If I were a newbie & someone told me the truth as he does, I would be delighted to have known it rather than someone posting the "rules" that aren't enforced anyway. People should know both sides of the story & let them decide for themselves as to how they want to dress.

He does basically say ignore the codes & dress how you want & eat where you want. Post #24 pretty much backs that up. The cruiseline DOES need to have a uniform pattern of enforcement, or do away with the dress code entirely. I feel pax should follow the codes until the cruise line changes them. Would I want someone dressed in a t shirt & shorts at my table on formal night?? Absolutely not. If the cruiseline relents & says that's acceptable, then fine, but not until. I do like what they did on the RCL Breakaway. One of the restaurants is formal the others are not. Pax get turned away if they refuse to follow the dress code for that restaurant. If Princess did that I'd be quite happy with it. I enjoyed our cruise, but still prefer Cunard/Celebrity overall(yes, I know about Celebrity Chic night)We'll see how that turns out next Jan. The staff on the Regal were among the best we've EVER had anywhere. They would be a big reason to do the Regal again. We do prefer trad. dining times so we did & enjoyed the Allegro dining room.

First off, please proof read your posts!!(or get spell check. Worked wonders for me!) I will agree with you that Princess(and others) do a lousy job of enforcing dress codes. I just feel that pax should follow what the established guidelines ARE. When that officially changes, then fine, dress however you(or anyone chooses)Until that time however pax should make some attempt to dress according to the dress code established each night. Why do you say I HAVE such an agenda, when you obviously have your own? If you admit yours & I'll admit mine we'll have an understanding & can end this foolish feuding & agree to disagree.

:rolleyes: really? This is your favorite playground and you have sounded like him many times over the years. Now you are defending him. How rich!

Just read through this thread. I am getting very conflicting info here as to what is or is not the norm on Princess ships.

Does it depend where the ship is sailing from? No one wants to be 'the odd one out' in the dining room. We are happy to dress 'formal' in a dark suit and bow tie for him and cocktail or long dress for me. But if the majority are wearing casual clothes, the I don't think we'll bother.

Maybe he will take a dark pair of trousers ( we are from the UK ) and me, a few dresses. Nothing special.

We will be on Royal for 27 nights next year.Caribbean T/A and then the med for 1o nights. Packing light would suit us fine, taking formals and not needing them is a waist of weight.

What to do?

Edited by Suzez

:rolleyes: really? This is your favorite playground and you have sounded like him many times over the years. Now you are defending him. How rich!

I agree with most things he says, which are correct in my opinion. We do sound alike since we see things the same way. Cruises are for vacation to relax & not dress up trying to impress others. Maybe you see things differently, but that's what's so nice being on a ship that lets people choose their own style of vacation.

Just read through this thread. I am getting very conflicting info here as to what is or is not the norm on Princess ships.

Does it depend where the ship is sailing from? No one wants to be 'the odd one out' in the dining room. We are happy to dress 'formal' in a dark suit and bow tie for him and cocktail or long dress for me. But if the majority are wearing casual clothes, the I don't think we'll bother.

Maybe he will take a dark pair of trousers ( we are from the UK ) and me, a few dresses. Nothing special.

We will be on Royal for 27 nights next year.Caribbean T/A and then the med for 1o nights. Packing light would suit us fine, taking formals and not needing them is a waist of weight.

What to do?

Dressing casually on a formal night on the Royal, you will be among the minority since most people do dress up but wearing a pair of dress pants & a long sleeve dress shirt will work for your husband. There will be a dozen or more guys dressed the same.

For the women a pair of black slacks & any dressy top will do. They're much more lenient as to what isn't allowed. You can always put something together that will look good. (as my wife says)

Here is my 2 cents worth. We recently did a 31 day cruise. We were going to be in hot weather, cold weather. We wanted to limit ourselves to 2 suitcases and each a carry on. Clothes for formal night just take up to much room. Hubby had 2 pairs of dress slacks and a few nice button down shirts. I had 2 pairs of dress black slacks and a few dressy tops and they worked for all the formal nights we had. Why take so much stuff and then have to keep up with it all. We are just getting to old for that stuff. I do not go on a cruise to impress anyone but to have a relaxing vacation.

It worked out fine for us and will do that again with our next cruise in the

spring.

Rita

Nope not at all it seems everyone is dressed one way or the other. By the way it seems my way is also the Princesx way that they allow. Feel important that you can wrongly inform people of reality. Of course you do.

He does basically say ignore the codes & dress how you want & eat where you want. Post #24 pretty much backs that up. The cruiseline DOES need to have a uniform pattern of enforcement, or do away with the dress code entirely. I feel pax should follow the codes until the cruise line changes them. Would I want someone dressed in a t shirt & shorts at my table on formal night?? Absolutely not. If the cruiseline relents & says that's acceptable, then fine, but not until. I do like what they did on the RCL Breakaway. One of the restaurants is formal the others are not. Pax get turned away if they refuse to follow the dress code for that restaurant. If Princess did that I'd be quite happy with it. I enjoyed our cruise, but still prefer Cunard/Celebrity overall(yes, I know about Celebrity Chic night)We'll see how that turns out next Jan. The staff on the Regal were among the best we've EVER had anywhere. They would be a big reason to do the Regal again. We do prefer trad. dining times so we did & enjoyed the Allegro dining room.

Wake up as the cruise line, by their actual actions, has relented on those posted guidelines. Even you admit they have yet you still insist it be done your way. Where is anyone pushinf tshirts, shorts and sandals on ant night in the MDR? Nice attempt to twist mine and other peoples words. Bad but nice.

And I thank him for helping put out the correct information on the reality of dress for Formal nights in the MDR. Not what many want but what Princess allows. Might want to try it sometime.

Nope not at all it seems everyone is dressed one way or the other. By the way it seems my way is also the Princesx way that they allow. Feel important that you can wrongly inform people of reality. Of course you do.

They have a dress code. It seems to get enforced in strange ways. I saw one formal night in Allegro where formal dress was the norm. The next formal night(different Maître D)Shorts & the like were allowed. I do feel that we should follow the established dress codes. You feel different & someone in the Princess high command is laughing at all of us. At times it reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters are due on Maple Street". I'd be fine with the "Country Club Casual" style of Oceania if Princess went that direction.

And I thank him for helping put out the correct information on the reality of dress for Formal nights in the MDR. Not what many want but what Princess allows. Might want to try it sometime.

I respect the Princess guidelines. If I wish to dress casual and not participate, I eat elsewhere. That is what Princess requests in writing. It's the gracious and polite thing to do. :)