Roll-on Eyeshadow

Baxter

i have a few, not expensive brands, but they are ok. nothing special. the roller gets clogged very easily and i just do not prefer it. i like it in a normal powder better, then i just wet my brush a bit and it pumps up the color!

there are some brands at the drugstore to try!

Hi:)

I have a differening opinion. I use Roll On Shadow and I love it.

No, it is not expensive but for me, it goes on really easy and no powder

excess.

I use Maybelline. I have no idea what other brands make their shadow

in this form.

During the day for work the only make up I wear is shadow and mascara.

I don't care about spending a lot of money for shadow and it works

great for me:)

The roller has never gotten clogged here.

Ok, what COLOR eyeshadow do you wear? I'm 54, I have dark auburn hair, hazel eyes, am fairly fair-skinned, and I'd like to go back to wearing eyeshadow. But I DON'T want to look like I'm trying to be 17! So....what color is appropriate for someone my age???

Anni

Ok, what COLOR eyeshadow do you wear? I'm 54, I have dark auburn hair, hazel eyes, am fairly fair-skinned, and I'd like to go back to wearing eyeshadow. But I DON'T want to look like I'm trying to be 17! So....what color is appropriate for someone my age???

Anni

Anni, I think this would be a great topic for a new thread.

Anni

Hello Anni,

I have nearly the same coloring as you do, but my eyes are a dark green.

I would suggest a neutral color, like a light brown with perhaps a coral undertone to bring out the green in your eyes without looking like "HI! I'm Anni's eyeshadow!" :D It would also go well with your hair.

I would stay away from yellow based colors, but I can't be certain about what undertones you have in your skin so I could be way off.

For an evening look you can try a light taupe color, or an eggplant shade.

After I apply shadow, I use a brush applicator to blend in the edges for a more natural look.

You can get some relatively inexpensive shadows and try out which ones you like best. IMO playing around with the colors and techniques is the best way to find out which looks you like, and which aren't "you". Try some matt colors if you want to stay with a natural look.

Best wishes,

~e

I use Revlon EyeGlides, available at the drugstore....

It's actually a creme which comes in a twist-up tube, not a powder. I really like it because it is easy to apply where I want, and doesn't spill everywhere.

I use Revlon EyeGlides, available at the drugstore....

It's actually a creme which comes in a twist-up tube, not a powder. I really like it because it is easy to apply where I want, and doesn't spill everywhere.

Does it crease in your eyelids? And does it last? I work 12 hour day/nights, and by the time I shower, get to work and get back home after work, I could have my makeup on a good 15 hours. By that time, normal eyeshadow is gone, and what is left on my eyes is creased up in my eyelids.

I haven't tried roll-on eyeshadow before. I know Oprah likes nice things, so I think she probably has chosen a fairly good product. I'll have to give it a try, if I can find out the brand she uses. The one thing I don't like about a creme eyeshadow is that you have to use your fingers to blend, I prefer using my brushes for that.

But, I have mature skin, get up very early and know what it's like to have your eyeshadow disappear on you. By far, the best eyeshadow I've found has been Chanel. Their powdered eyeshadow is different than any other I've used before. It's not so powdery, more creamy and goes on very smooth, then stays on until I take it off. I's a bit expensive, but lasts a very long time and you need less of it than other brands.

I'm an eyeshadow/lipstick junkie and have tried every brand out there. Most of them I throw out, mainly because they are just too dry for my skin. I just got rid of several Mac shadows, beautiful colors, but not long lasting and they don't go onto mature skin very well at all. Lancome comes in at second place for me, but I never buy it, always get it as a sample for buying my favorite mascara and lash conditioner.

Anni L, I would try green and eggplant colors with your coloring, stay away from brown. Brown tends to just look dirty on most people. I do wear some brown shadows at times (only daytime), but I always pair them up with another color, usually green or eggplant close to my lash line. Charcoal can look nice, but it takes a long time to blend it just right. Make an appointment at a fine cosmetics counter, they can help you with color (you don't have to buy!). I'm a bit obsessed with eyeshadow and use a different color every day of the week.

Thanks SO much for the suggestions!!! I really appreciate it, and I'll have to go look at my cheap place so that I can play - and try a roll-on one as well - and then maybe go hit a nice department store.

And yeah, I don't handle guilt very well, so I WOULD have to buy! <G>

Thx again!

Anni

You guys I love these threads - I would have never thought to try a roll-on eye shadow, now I feel like I must go out and get some. I have two daughters who love all of my 'cast off' makeup, so it really never goes to waste if I don't like it.

Thanks for all of the good ideas!

Kim

Does it crease in your eyelids? And does it last? I work 12 hour day/nights, and by the time I shower, get to work and get back home after work, I could have my makeup on a good 15 hours. By that time, normal eyeshadow is gone, and what is left on my eyes is creased up in my eyelids.

I've not had a problem with it creasing, as long as I don't put on too much. It lasts very well -- still there at the end of the day (the color maybe isn't quite as intense).

I like being able to use the tip of the applicator to blend, rather than my fingers....I hate walking around with sparkly fingers!!

Baxter - What brand did Oprah recommend?

Lois - what brand do you use? Is it a liquid that turns to powder or does it roll on as a powder? I've never heard of roll-on eyeshadow and the thought of it is intriguing.

Anni - I agree with you that I don't go to dept store counters for "free" makeovers unless I know beforehand that I'm planning on buying. These people work on commission and expect you to make a purchase after they've spend 20 minutes to half an hour making you up. However, if you have a Sephora near you, you're in for a treat. You can wander around and try on many different brands with no sales pitches and people tellling you why their product is better than another's. Also, their make-up artists are not pushy and WILL help you without high expectations of a sale.

I don't have any recommendations of colors for you, only to stay away from iridescent shadows. If you're new to eyeshadow and/or have some wrinkles on your lids, it's not the best choice, IMO.

Kathy - I agree. Chanel's eyeshadow's are the best. They go on smoothly and stay on well. One eyeshadow quad lasts me over a year with sometimes having to buy a second unit of the base shadow.

Jane

Hi Jane:) I use Maybelline. It goes on just like a roll on....no liquid or

powder involved.

I still have other shadows but really prefer this one. I have quite a few

colors and got mine at Walgreens.

Hi Jane,:) I saw you use Chanel. I have never tried them. Then again,

I haven't tried many brands.

When you posted how long it lasts you.....well that is interesting to me.

Maybe I ought to try one.

Oh, you had asked me on another thread if I use Sunscreen. I never sit

out in the sun. Yes, I know, I live in Florida but I am rarely outside.

In the middle of summer it is too hot...the humidity here in North Fl

is awful.

And the rest of the year, if I am outside it is not for long. When I am on

a cruise I do bring it with me. But here at home, if I told you I used

it on a regular basis I wouldn't be telling the truth.

Oh, you had asked me on another thread if I use Sunscreen. I never sit

out in the sun. Yes, I know, I live in Florida but I am rarely outside.

In the middle of summer it is too hot...the humidity here in North Fl

is awful.

And the rest of the year, if I am outside it is not for long. When I am on

a cruise I do bring it with me. But here at home, if I told you I used

it on a regular basis I wouldn't be telling the truth.

Lois,

You MUST wear your sunscreen in Florida! You run the risk of not having nice skin and getting skin cancer. Even if you're only out for a few minutes and driving to work.

WEAR IT!

Love

"Mom" LOL!!! :)

Lois, Lubriderm has a body lotion that has an spf of 15, I use it all year round. I like it because it isn't thick, or smell, like most other sunscreens. Jane is right, you need sunscreen even if you aren't in the sun but for a few minutes. The facial moisturizer I use has an spf of 25, it's Clinique's Superdefense, the first sunscreen I've found that doesn't make my rosacea flare up. They also have another type (Clinique does) that has an spf of 15.

I should have put this in the thread for beauty secrets, but I thought I didn't have any!

I wish I could loan you all my Chanel counter lady, she is the sweetest, kindest cosmetic person and does not put any pressure on me to buy anything. I even stop to visit her at the counter when I'm not buying anything at all!

Lois, Lubriderm has a body lotion that has an spf of 15, I use it all year round. I like it because it isn't thick, or smell, like most other sunscreens.

I was just going to post a question about finding a good body lotion with sunscreen!

Wow...on this board you get answers to things you haven't even asked yet :eek:

Thanks Kathy!

~e

Hi Kathy:)

I appreciate all the "SunScreen Advice".....though when I leave for work

in the morning the sun has not even come up yet. 6:30am......

Anyway, If I want to start using lotions and things I will know where

to come for advice;)

Archived