Pickpockets in Loire Valley and Lille?

Bowie MeMe

Just wondering if the pickpockets and other assorted thieves have moved out of Paris with the increased security/police/ and cameras since the bombings and other troubles. Planning a visit to Loire Valley Chateaus and Castles along with St. Michaels (day before Tour de France start) and Lille on the night of the semi final soccer championships. (Sure glad I got my rooms way last August). Any reports of increased crime/thieves? Any suggestions for protecting the rental car -- Mercedes C class. Plan to pay for parking from hotels.

Certainly the Loire Valley isn't known for pickpockets. And there's not really busy congested streets to suit their operation. It's certainly as safe as anywhere else.

Lille I don't know well, it's a regular commercial city but the soccer will increase the chances of petty crime. Possibly also soccer-related violence depending which teams are playing.

As others have posted, Mercedes is bread-and-butter in Europe. You'll want CDW, but check the excess - it can be as high as 1,000 euros. Rental operator can insure you against that but for a fat fee. You can get cover for the CDW excess on the Internet for pennies, but in the case of damage you pay the excess to the rental agency and reclaim it from the Internet insurer. Have done that on several occasions but never had to test it.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

John Bull

I bought an annual insurance for car hire and had to claim on it a few weeks ago. Very pleasantly surprised as they didn't charge me any excess. The company was car4less, part of Direct Line group. I even got a discount by buying via Quidco

I have a Capital One credit card for travelers with a fairly high limit. According to what is stated under the benefits we are covered for CDW and if we buy NO OTHER insurance the credit card insurance is good. If we buy from the rental agency any additional insurance it voids the credit card benefit. I am not at all sure but I am trying it. About the same ranking as our other trips with "self-insurance". I am carrying a copy of the credit card policy to prove that I have CDW coverage -- some countries don't allow to rent unless have that.

There is no issue with this in the Loire Valley, generally pick pocketing is mainly opportunistic where people are carrying too much or drawing attention to their wealth in poor areas. With sensible awareness there is no issue, do not carry passports, nowhere in Western Europe do you need it with you, equally bulging pockets of cash , or high value jewellery/ watches.

There is no issue with this in the Loire Valley, generally pick pocketing is mainly opportunistic where people are carrying too much or drawing attention to their wealth in poor areas. With sensible awareness there is no issue, do not carry passports, nowhere in Western Europe do you need it with you, equally bulging pockets of cash , or high value jewellery/ watches.

Have to carry passport -- moving hotels many times so no safe until we hit the cruise.\

I always carry my passport with me. In the UK we are not required to carry ID, but it is compulsory in most European countries.

We travel to France frequently and take the car. We have often commented that it is rare to see the Gendarmerie on French roads apart from around Calais. However, this time we got stopped by the police on a country road in the Champagne area about three weeks ago.

I gave the policeman all my documents and he pretended to read them all, but as he didn't speak English I think it was just for show. As we had everything in order he waved us on our way.