Star Class Service - tipping the Genie

So they get minimum wage plus tips? Our servers usually get ~$2 per hour (not sure about CA).

I don't think anyone should be rewarded for horrific service; I have never had horrific service. I can remember one time getting fairly bad service, and I left 10%, and I told the manager why.

Yes in Canada they get a reduced wage plus gratuity.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know people say tip what you feel the service was worth but I feel like people now a days did not get taught how to tip from their parents. People are always asking how much to tip. That could be because they haven't travelled very much or it wasn't in their culture growing up. I wish someone would have a minimum guideline

I was taught (keep in mind minimums)

$2 per bag (hotel, porter, etc)

$2 for your shuttle bus driver

$20 for your tour bus driver

Valet - tip nothing when dropping the car then min $5.00 when picking up

bartender - $1 per drink (minimum, unless its auto added)

servers - 20% if service is poor 15% remember

Cruises - always pay the suggested

hair/nails - 20%

To the OP, who said he couldn't imagine cruising without a genie. Sounds like the Genie made his cruise and was high value I would say $500 at the end of the cruise as I mentioned or at the very least $100 per person in the stateroom.

I guess my parents never informed me that I tip too much. :p For example, I give $5 when I drop the car off with the valet and $5 when I get it back.

I bet your post wasn't aimed at me, but to the general public. Some do know how to tip and some don't.

I guess my parents never informed me that I tip too much. :p For example, I give $5 when I drop the car off with the valet and $5 when I get it back.

I bet your post wasn't aimed at me, but to the general public. Some do know how to tip and some don't.

I don't tip when I drop the car off.

I've seen our older relatives tip the valet $1. That was probably generous 40 years ago.

yes, because servers make nothing

People usually become servers because there is an opportunity to make decent money depending on what type of restaurant you work at. Just like with any job in life, if you suck at it your best bet is to find a different occupation. I will not reward anyone regardless of how much an hour they make for doing a crappy job. I worked for a major restaurant chain for 7 years so I am well aware of what they make.

That being said I can only recall one time where I left zero tip because the server was just that bad due to behavior not related to anything else like a delay from the kitchen or the restaurant being busy.

People usually become servers because there is an opportunity to make decent money depending on what type of restaurant you work at. Just like with any job in life, if you suck at it your best bet is to find a different occupation. I will not reward anyone regardless of how much an hour they make for doing a crappy job. I worked for a major restaurant chain for 7 years so I am well aware of what they make.

That being said I can only recall one time where I left zero tip because the server was just that bad due to behavior not related to anything else like a delay from the kitchen or the restaurant being busy.

I was just sharing my opinion to the OP. I'm sure you are the expert on this yourself due to your 7 years in the hospitality industry.

Thank you for letting me know how wrong I am.

I was just sharing my opinion to the OP. I'm sure you are the expert on this yourself due to your 7 years in the hospitality industry.

Thank you for letting me know how wrong I am.

Ah passive aggressive. I love it. I simply stated my opinion, don't like it don't read it. Simple.

A genie with 4 Suites getting $500 in tips each week $2000 a week

$104k in tips a year + Salary.

Accommodation and food as well.

Pretty good 6 figure job I would say:D

Can bet you a few cruisers out there would not mind that salary.

Appreciate they do not work the full 52 weeks of the year, but a very nice position.;)

I would tip $100 per person for a weeks cruise, that would always cost me $300 per cruise, IMO I think that is a good starting point for services provided. If they go above and beyond the norm, would consider increasing.

I think 10% tip for the cost of a suite that I could already be paying $20K for, is a little too steep of a tip, regardless that I can afford it:D

And that the price of the suite is already inflated to cover the introduction of Star Class.

Happy Days!

So they get minimum wage plus tips? Our servers usually get ~$2 per hour (not sure about CA).

I don't think anyone should be rewarded for horrific service; I have never had horrific service. I can remember one time getting fairly bad service, and I left 10%, and I told the manager why.

Servers in Florida get a base $5.05 per hour. But a server in any state is guaranteed the regular minimum wage so for Florida for example that is $8.05 per hour. If a server does not make enough in tips to equal at least that $8.05 per hour the company is required to pay them the difference. It's a federal law.

Granted if you work somewhere that constantly has to make up the difference you probably won't be a server there for very long because this is tracked and they will assume you are crappy at your job and fire you.

From the comments I have read here and on other threads, there appears to be no consensus on what is an appropriate tip for the personal level of service provided by a Genie in a Star Class suite. The range of tips that have been suggested here varies widely. No doubt this diversity of opinions is as wide as our expectations for this more personalized and dedicated level of service. Unfortunately most of us commenting have yet to experience Star Class service for ourselves making it a challenge to place a value on it. Royal Caribbean has not been shy about what they bill as tips for its other employees (cabin attendants, dining staff, etc.) and their 18% gratuity added on drink packages, yet to date have remained totally silent on tipping for Genies.

Having said all that, I am curious if it is more appropriate to tip one's Genie based on a per cabin basis or per person? For example, should a family of 5, three of which being young children, necessarily tip more than a couple occupying a Star Class suite?

Granted if you work somewhere that constantly has to make up the difference you probably won't be a server there for very long because this is tracked and they will assume you are crappy at your job and fire you.

Yeah and I think it's pretty hard to not make minimum wage as a server. You'd have to be terrible. You'd probably quit before they had a chance to fire you.

My parents never taught me about tipping, but they did teach me it was vulgar so talk about money in the way that many here do.

Why are Americans so vulgar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the comments I have read here and on other threads, there appears to be no consensus on what is an appropriate tip for the personal level of service provided by a Genie in a Star Class suite. The range of tips that have been suggested here varies widely. No doubt this diversity of opinions is as wide as our expectations for this more personalized and dedicated level of service. Unfortunately most of us commenting have yet to experience Star Class service for ourselves making it a challenge to place a value on it. Royal Caribbean has not been shy about what they bill as tips for its other employees (cabin attendants, dining staff, etc.) and their 18% gratuity added on drink packages, yet to date have remained totally silent on tipping for Genies.

Having said all that, I am curious if it is more appropriate to tip one's Genie based on a per cabin basis or per person? For example, should a family of 5, three of which being young children, necessarily tip more than a couple occupying a Star Class suite?

Tipping the concierge has always been at one's discretion. Don't think it will change for Genies.

Since tipping concierges and Genies is at one's discretion, there will never be consensus. Even in the concierge tipping threads, people give different amounts. Some people think $100 at a minimum. Some people say nothing, he does nothing for me. I don't think you can put an exact figure on personalized service.

Like all tipping, the more generous tippers will make up for the less generous tippers.

My parents never taught me about tipping, but they did teach me it was vulgar so talk about money in the way that many here do.

I think it might be inappropriate to talk about tipping to your tablemates. But this is a message board, meant to be educational. People are asking questions about tipping because they want to be appropriate when the actual time comes.

So I don't think that wanting to be educated, so that you may properly reward someone, is vulgar.

Appreciate they do not work the full 52 weeks of the year, but a very nice position.;)

I would tip $100 per person for a weeks cruise, that would always cost me $300 per cruise, IMO I think that is a good starting point for services provided. If they go above and beyond the norm, would consider increasing.

I think 10% tip for the cost of a suite that I could already be paying $20K for, is a little too steep of a tip, regardless that I can afford it:D

And that the price of the suite is already inflated to cover the introduction of Star Class.

Happy Days!

I am going with $100 pp per week for the genie. If service is great then it will go up from there, and if it less than good it can be adjusted accordingly. Like you said to tip 10% of the cabin cost is rather excessive.

I am going with $100 pp per week for the genie. If service is great then it will go up from there, and if it less than good it can be adjusted accordingly. Like you said to tip 10% of the cabin cost is rather excessive.

I am guessing that genie tipping will tend to be recommended as around $250-$350 for a week. Some will think that is too much. Some will think that is too cheap. Just like concierge tipping.

No such thing as a restaurant being busy, a good manager knows how many seats there are in the venue, and therefore should schedule staff accordingly.

If they find themselves being busier than expected on a normal quite session, then they should politely decline to accept additional guests in order to ensure good service to those already at tables.

If I am ever told "sorry we are busy" as an excuse for poor service, my response is simple. "No, you are either understaffed, or your staff are under trained, either way it is poor management".

I would rather be honestly told "sorry we are understaffed" than hearing that customers are to blame for attending.

I personally would never pay any service charge or tip for poor service, and would happily have such a charge removed for poor service, whilst at the same time I tip generously for professional service that enhances my experience

I also sit away from the bar in order to be served my drinks by a drink server, and therefore justify any enforced service charge on drinks.

As for Genies, I personally would not know what to ask one to do for me, I rarely have requests for a concierge. However if I used a Genie in the way that I have seen others do, I would certainly tip a minimum of $100 per person on a 7 night cruise, and more if I was the demanding type.

And yes I do come from the hospitality industry, and therefore speak from experience. :eek:

............... or the restaurant being busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will correct your preconceived ideas about my parents, we never talk about money in "public".

If I am ever told "sorry we are busy" as an excuse for poor service, my response is simple. "No, you are either understaffed, or your staff are under trained, either way it is poor management".

I personally would never pay any service charge or tip for poor service, and would happily have such a charge removed for poor service, whilst at the same time I tip generously for professional service that enhances my experience

I agree that poor service due to a restaurant being 'too busy' is a management problem. I disagree that it should be reflected in the server's tip.

If I saw my server working, and being pleasant, and trying their best, I would tip them the normal amount (20%). But I would either not visit that restaurant again, or I would go during off-peak times in the future.

A restaurant with continually poor service will usually not survive very long.

Interesting read. We have a five day with Star service in July. There will be two of us. Depending on service, I'm thinking $300 to $400 for the five days? This will be our first experience with Star service so will see how it goes and will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tip 10% of what one pays for a "genie" cabin. Genies, according to their job description, do provide extraordinary service.

A tip of only $100 would be appropriate for a concierge who provided some services for you if you were staying in an inside, ocean view or balcony. A genie provides so much more for a Sky Suite guest than a concierge would be able to do.

If one can afford a Sky Class suite then one can afford a generous tip.

If you think I'm going to be tipping someone over 1000 dollars for my family to stay in a Star Class cabin then I need a swig of whatever you're drinking.

My plan is ( and you can call me cheap or whatever you want... go ahead- I can guarantee my wife calls me worse) since gratuities for Star Class guests are included, to take the amount I would have had to pay in gratuities and give a good chunk of it to the Genie- now for the 3 of us in our upcoming Star Class suite that is almost 450 bucks, so I'll likely reserve some of that for others onboard.

We travel NCL in suites alot who also have a butler and seem to do almost the same amenities as Royal. For a family of 3 we start our base tip at $300. Depending on if they did anything above and beyond the tip would go up from there.

Tip 10% of what one pays for a "genie" cabin. Genies, according to their job description, do provide extraordinary service.

A tip of only $100 would be appropriate for a concierge who provided some services for you if you were staying in an inside, ocean view or balcony. A genie provides so much more for a Sky Suite guest than a concierge would be able to do.

If one can afford a Sky Class suite then one can afford a generous tip.

Curious, when did Sky class start getting a Genie. Is this new:)

Also if staying in an inside, ocean view or balcony cabin, why would you tip a concierge? Surely you would not have access to concierge services staying in the cabins you listed unless you were pinnacle;)

If you can afford an inside cabin and get concierge service, then I guess a minimum of $100 would suffice for the concierge.

Happy Days!

Happy Days!

Agree totally, and I there is no way I will be tipping $1400.00 to the Genie on my next 7 day cruise on the Oasis . We don't tip the butlers that much on Celebrity, nor do we use them that much (Rarely). 10% of what you paid for the suite is just insane IMHO!