Star Class Service - tipping the Genie

Ah passive aggressive. I love it. I simply stated my opinion, don't like it don't read it. Simple.

Correction, you didn't "simply" state your opinion.

You put my post in quotes and attacked my opinion and said I was wrong because you worked at a restaurant for 7 years. If you call that sharing your your opinion then.... :eek::confused:

My parents never taught me about tipping, but they did teach me it was vulgar so talk about money in the way that many here do.

Why are Americans so vulgar?

Because we are citizens of the best country in the world. Everyone wants to come and live here there are waiting lists of people that want to be US citizens.

Correction, you didn't "simply" state your opinion.

You put my post in quotes and attacked my opinion and said I was wrong because you worked at a restaurant for 7 years. If you call that sharing your your opinion then.... :eek::confused:

Please point out where I said you were wrong. Good luck because that was never said.

And I did state my opinion that I won't reward crappy service. And when I said I worked for a restaurant chain I said that saying that I am well aware of what they make.

Great job creating imaginary comments. No worries though, I can see you are the type to create drama where there is none.

Because we are citizens of the best country in the world. Everyone wants to come and live here there are waiting lists of people that want to be US citizens.

And this comment is a prime example of why people dislike Americans. To imply that every other country is somehow less is just pure arrogance and not true.

Even after years of participating in message boards I can still be amazed at the things people come up with. Thankful for a block user option.

Genie, college grad, officer status, on salary, part of guest services

Please explain a little more unless it is just me that needs it. Are you saying the genies are officers, etc.?

I was about to ask how RCL selected "genies" and the requirement therefor.

Curious, when did Sky class start getting a Genie. Is this new:)

Also if staying in an inside, ocean view or balcony cabin, why would you tip a concierge? Surely you would not have access to concierge services staying in the cabins you listed unless you were pinnacle;)

If you can afford an inside cabin and get concierge service, then I guess a minimum of $100 would suffice for the concierge.

Happy Days!

I corrected myself (post 15) saying that Star Class gets a genie.

If you are Diamond, Diamond Plus, or Pinnacle you have access to the Diamond Lounge (D, D+, PC), Concierge Lounge (D+, PC) and Suites Lounge (PC) all of which have at least one concierge.

Edited by beachnative

I corrected myself saying that Star Class gets a genie.

If you are Diamond, Diamond Plus, or Pinnacle you have access to the Diamond Lounge (D, D+, PC), Concierge Lounge (D+, PC) and Suites Lounge (PC) all of which have at least one concierge.

Sorry, did not see your corrected post:) my apologies.

But 10% tip, little steep even for those well of folk, I could book an inside for a B2B2B with a genie tip at that rate:eek:

Probably a B2B2B2B even

You mentioned Concierge, not Diamond Lounge

Only D+ and P have access to CL for now anyways.

Edited by PompeySailor

Sorry, did not see your corrected post:) my apologies.

But 10% tip, little steep even for those well of folk, I could book an inside for a B2B2B with a genie tip at that rate:eek:

Probably a B2B2B2B even

You mentioned Concierge, not Diamond Lounge

Only D+ and P have access to CL for now anyways.

The only reason I mentioned tipping a concierge is because I actually enjoy visiting the Diamond Lounge as much as the Concierge Lounge and Suites Lounge (but love Coastal Kitchen:) ). If I need some help I just ask the concierge in the lounge where I happen to be at the time.

I TOTALLY agree with you about being able to get more bang for the buck by doing a B2B2B in a stateroom that is not a Star suite….especially if giving a generous tip to a genie.;)

There's a snowball's chance in hell I'll tip 15% for poor service.

Poor service might not get any tip.

Good to excellent service is tip generously. Poor service is not.

I don't understand tipping for poor service. Do a good job, get the tip. Do a poor job, too bad for you

The only reason I mentioned tipping a concierge is because I actually enjoy visiting the Diamond Lounge as much as the Concierge Lounge and Suites Lounge (but love Coastal Kitchen:) ). If I need some help I just ask the concierge in the lounge where I happen to be at the time.

I TOTALLY agree with you about being able to get more bang for the buck by doing a B2B2B in a stateroom that is not a Star suite….especially if giving a generous tip to a genie.;)

All Good Gail :)

Agreed nice having the flexibility of CL, DL SL and CK

Think $100 pp per week is a nice baseline for Genie JMO:)

Happy Days!

First thanks to all who posted on this thread. Seems my wife and I are a bit of Guinea pigs for the Genie service so I'll share my thoughts given some of the feedback and my experience with concierge service previously.

When I've gotten decent concierge service, I've usually tipped about $100 -150 for a 7 day cruise. If service was spotty or not used much I might drop that to $50 - 70 or roughly $10/day.

Genie service is way beyond this. Our Genie literally is taking care of three cabins and that is it. I think he only has 6 or 8 people. There are three Genies on the Ovation for this cruise so service is highly specialized. Our guy will try to fulfill any request. My wife is a martial artist and he constructed bastions (clubs) so my wife could practice while we cruised. That's above and beyond.

While 10% of the cruise amount would be ridiculous ($14k for a 12 day cruise), I don't think $500 is unreasonable. If I had to gauge, I'd use $15/person/day as a baseline and go up from there depending on the service and use of the Genie.

For anyone considering upgrading to Star Class suites, the new perks are fantastic. Getting the Ultimate Package for drinks for two people is huge (about $1,400 worth just for that). You also get all specialty restaurants included. It's worth the extra spend.

I'll post another thread on the Ovation and this Asia trip later. As a teaser, while similar to Quantum, there are some distinctions. Still a lovely ship, but a very different type of cruise.

First thanks to all who posted on this thread. Seems my wife and I are a bit of Guinea pigs for the Genie service so I'll share my thoughts given some of the feedback and my experience with concierge service previously.

When I've gotten decent concierge service, I've usually tipped about $100 -150 for a 7 day cruise. If service was spotty or not used much I might drop that to $50 - 70 or roughly $10/day.

Genie service is way beyond this. Our Genie literally is taking care of three cabins and that is it. I think he only has 6 or 8 people. There are three Genies on the Ovation for this cruise so service is highly specialized. Our guy will try to fulfill any request. My wife is a martial artist and he constructed bastions (clubs) so my wife could practice while we cruised. That's above and beyond.

While 10% of the cruise amount would be ridiculous ($14k for a 12 day cruise), I don't think $500 is unreasonable. If I had to gauge, I'd use $15/person/day as a baseline and go up from there depending on the service and use of the Genie.

For anyone considering upgrading to Star Class suites, the new perks are fantastic. Getting the Ultimate Package for drinks for two people is huge (about $1,400 worth just for that). You also get all specialty restaurants included. It's worth the extra spend.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.