Help! Newbie on Riviera in Nov.

ethelmaepotter

I'm booked on the Riviera for the Adriatic Gems cruise in November 2016. Have very limited cruise experience--one Atlantic crossing, and one Alaska, both on HAL. Have never visited Europe except in summer. What is the weather likely to be? I'm a Floridian and will need to get new stuff if much warm clothing is needed. Also, for dining, do I need "fancy" clothes? Would never do shorts, etc., but what type of clothing would "fit in"?

I'm nervous (can you tell?) and hoping all you good folks can get me from nervous to super-excited about the cruise.

Thanks!

I am on the Nov. 2nd cruise. You do not need to buy fancy clothes. What you would where to a nice restaurant will be fine. As far as the weather goes it`s hard to tell. Look at the weather charts online before we leave and you will have a better idea. This will be my 2nd time on the Riviera and she is now my favorite ship. ( Have done 50 cruises with other lines ) Happy to answer any questions. We don`t book shore excursions through the ship. I do my research and we book our own. You will be so spoiled with the food and service on Oceania !

I'm booked on the Riviera for the Adriatic Gems cruise in November 2016. Have very limited cruise experience--one Atlantic crossing, and one Alaska, both on HAL. Have never visited Europe except in summer. What is the weather likely to be? I'm a Floridian and will need to get new stuff if much warm clothing is needed. Also, for dining, do I need "fancy" clothes? Would never do shorts, etc., but what type of clothing would "fit in"?

I'm nervous (can you tell?) and hoping all you good folks can get me from nervous to super-excited about the cruise.

Thanks!

We've cruised the Med a number of times in November and have done land trips...it's a month that works well for vacation time with my work schedule.

Your itinerary is mostly south...expect moderate temperatures at that time of year (on average what you might expect to find in Atlanta in early November, a bit warmer south and a bit cooler in the northern itinerary cities). You might see a bit more rain than at other times of year...but our trips have never been a washout, only a day here and there where we had to fight some light rain for part of the day. Seas may be a bit higher than usual in the Med portion of the cruise. One concern will be Venice and acqua alta. It frequently floods a bit in November and sometimes very significantly. The city will probably have the elevated walks in St. Marks. We had some puddles, but visited the city under beautiful blue skies.

One advantage you will have is there will be fewer crowds at the sites. There was no significant line at St. Marks when we were there. Since you are starting there you should be able to time a visit appropriately to miss the crowds. Positano (Naples/Amalfi) was quiet and peaceful with no hoards.

Dress on the ship is country club casual for the MDR and specialties. Terrace Cafe, the buffet, is casual.

Have fun planning...but, you really won't need to do much shopping.

We were in the Adriatic last November. Venice was overcast and cool - I wore a raincoat. But agree, no crowds so we loved it! We then lucked out with warm sunny skies as we traveled down the Adriatic coast! Be prepared for both kinds of weather. Global warming makes it all unpredictable [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 4Lakes Lady

I don't know how long you have lived in Florida, but the typical Floridian will find it quite cool in that part of the Mediterranean in November.

RVA161102.jpg

You'll start off in the mid sixties in Rome, and that will increase to the mid 70' or low 80's in Naples and Greece, but then it is likely to turn much cooler as you head north along the Dalmatian Coast.

I've been to Kotor several times, and found it cool even in August, particularly near the bay which is very deep and very cold.

Kotor-Montenegro_cs.jpg?fit=min&q=40&sharp=10&vib=20&w=1470

The average high temperature in Venice is only 52 degrees in November.

Layering is always advisable, but I do think that you'll need to pack your woolies!

I don't know how long you have lived in Florida, but the typical Floridian will find it quite cool in that part of the Mediterranean in November.

RVA161102.jpg

You'll start off in the mid sixties in Rome, and that will increase to the mid 70' or low 80's in Naples and Greece, but then it is likely to turn much cooler as you head north along the Dalmatian Coast.

I've been to Kotor several times, and found it cool even in August, particularly near the bay which is very deep and very cold.

Kotor-Montenegro_cs.jpg?fit=min&q=40&sharp=10&vib=20&w=1470

The average high temperature in Venice is only 52 degrees in November.

Layering is always advisable, but I do think that you'll need to pack your woolies!

Sounds like good advise. A little too cold for me, even though it could get a little cold here in Fl. for a few days in the winter. Like it a bit warmer when I go on vacation.

I'm booked on November 2 also. Glad to know that I won't have to bring a tiara! I know a couple who will be on the cruise who, like you, are very experienced travelers. They also book their own excursions. I may join them for some, but beyond that I'll probably take the easier (but maybe less interesting) route of booking the ship's excursions. Anything that you particularly recommend, whether private tour or through the ship?

Sounds like good advise. A little too cold for me, even though it could get a little cold here in Fl. for a few days in the winter. Like it a bit warmer when I go on vacation.

I've lived in Florida since 1974, so I'm definitely not great with the cold! Layers, layers, layers--got it! Thanks!

We are also on the November 2nd cruise traveling with another couple. Can't wait. Will join roll call. We will mostly do independent tours so look forward to suggestions. Wondering what country club casual is......we live in San Diego where everything for the most part is casual.

Re weather hoping for the best. Not a rain fan but good reminder to bring an umbrella.