Oasis Ocean View Balcony surprise!!

kc13

So, after debating long and hard (with myself, haha!) I decided to upgrade my husband and I to a Superior ocean view balcony guarantee! I was struggling with if I wanted to spend the money or not.. But I pulled the plug and did it. Now I'm trying to decide if I can keep it a secret from dh til our September Sailing! Since I didn't get to pick the room I'm crossing my fingers we get a decent one. Anyone have good luck with the guarantees? We have never done a guarantee before.

This is also our first time sailing with Royal Caribbean! I feel like this cruise is going to blow our past 5 out of the water! 89 days&counting!

So, after debating long and hard (with myself, haha!) I decided to upgrade my husband and I to a Superior ocean view balcony guarantee! I was struggling with if I wanted to spend the money or not.. But I pulled the plug and did it. Now I'm trying to decide if I can keep it a secret from dh til our September Sailing! Since I didn't get to pick the room I'm crossing my fingers we get a decent one. Anyone have good luck with the guarantees? We have never done a guarantee before.

This is also our first time sailing with Royal Caribbean! I feel like this cruise is going to blow our past 5 out of the water! 89 days&counting!

Check your reservation in Cruise Planner on the RCI site frequently to see if you've been assigned a cabin. If you're not happy with your location you should be able to change....within the same category....if there's another location you like better. Congratulations and enjoy!

We book nearly all guarantees -- usually inside. We haven't yet been assigned a bad cabin. On our upcoming Allure cruise, we were assigned a cabin on deck 8 very near Central Park, score!

We are rarely upgraded to a better cabin class; however, we have been upgraded to oceanview a couple of times and a Royal Promenade view once. In fact, we rarely were "stuck" on the bottom deck in the lowest cabin class.

So we are advocates for guarantees, but we are flexible. We are perfectly happy to be in the bottom-of-the-line cabin class that we paid for. A oceanview balcony guarantee could net you a partially obstructed balcony (if they exist on the Oasis, I don't know if they do). Whatever you get, I've heard on these boards that you could request another cabin within the same class (we never had cause to do this).

I've found that balconies are really heavily dependent more on the neighbors than the location. That's the luck of the draw, even if you picked your own.

The first time I upgraded from an inside to a balcony I kept it a secret from my husband too. It wasn't easy, but I did it. Once he asked me what our cabin number was. He had never asked this before and I had to lie and say I forgot. I was afraid he would go online and realize we were in a balcony cabin. I also had to keep the luggage tags hidden from him.

He didn't realize we were in a balcony cabin until we were walking down the hall to the cabin and he realized we were in an even numbered cabin and that all the even numbers were on the outside. He is afraid of heights so be stopped in the middle of the hallway when he realized that we had the balcony. He ended up loving it and we have had many more balcony cabins since then.

Edited by rncruiser

Thanks guys!! I'm glad you all have had pretty good experiences with the guarantees. I will be checking non stop because I can't stand not knowing haha. We've only ever had a balcony one other time when we were in a suite but we shared it with family. I already told hubby too because I couldn't contain my excitement lol!

We booked a guarantee for a September cruise on the Oasis and we were assigned a cabin on deck 6 aft right above the life boats. It didn't look like a good cabin - the ocean was obstructed by the life boats. When I called to request to be put back into the pool for a guarantee they said they cannot do that. We had to take the 6th floor or we can upgrade for a fee. My sister booked a guarantee and got the 10th floor first time cruisers. I ended up using reward points to book an upgrade on the 10th floor forward. I won't book a guarantee again - don't want to get stuck in a cabin no one else wants.

We booked a guarantee for a September cruise on the Oasis and we were assigned a cabin on deck 6 aft right above the life boats. It didn't look like a good cabin - the ocean was obstructed by the life boats. When I called to request to be put back into the pool for a guarantee they said they cannot do that. We had to take the 6th floor or we can upgrade for a fee. My sister booked a guarantee and got the 10th floor first time cruisers. I ended up using reward points to book an upgrade on the 10th floor forward. I won't book a guarantee again - don't want to get stuck in a cabin no one else wants.

Truly hope this doesn't happen to us!! :/ I guess atleast we would still get to hear the water. Haha

We've been really fortunate with GTY cabins on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

We just finished our first Alaskan cruise on Explorer of the seas and we had 3 GTY staterooms. We knew that it was going to be nearly impossible to be anywhere close to one another. We were thrilled when we were all assigned staterooms on deck 9. Two were on the port side and one on the starboard side. All 3 were close to the elevators as well.

If the price difference is too much, we always go for the GTY. Fortunately we've never got a deck lower than deck 8