HAL Cutbacks

lgoldst801

Thanks for your replies John and chengk75!

On HAL, there are two Officers on the Bridge at all times. (That is my understanding.) The OOW is the Senior Officer. Does a Cadet Officer serve as the second Bridge Officer? Or, is there still a more senior Officier to the Cadet on watch?

On the Statendam, because of a special program that Captain Norman (or someother wise person) instructed to be presented to us guests, one of the 3rd Officers presented a natuical oriented program most days at sea that was extremely informative. He usually included both Deck and Engineering Cadets in his presentations. I was very impressed with the Cadets. Their ability to help the 3rd Officer answer our questions added to the program's presentation.

If HAL employs these young men and women, her ships will be in good hands, I believe.

I will answer one last time here, and then let the thread get back to its origins. If anyone has further questions about crewing or crew qualifications, please start a new thread. I usually find the titles where I can contribute.

No, the cadets are "supernumeraries" carried aboard for training. The two deck officers on bridge watch are usually the First Officer or a Second Officer, and a Third Officer for each watch. The First and Second Officers are Senior OOW, and the Thirds are Junior OOW. The watch officers are required by the legal certificate of manning, while the cadets are not.

I know, right?!? They have always had them on my HAL cruises, and I have always looked forward to them. And yet just this month cruisers are coming back from sailings saying that the Eggs Benedict bar has been removed! Some are saying that only Canadian bacon is available on the Bennies, some are saying Canadian bacon and one other thing. But no one has told me what that other thing is, or what the range of things are if it varies by day. I would love to hear that my eggs are freshly poached, and that I can still get crab or smoked salmon or spinach on my Eggs Benedict, even if on alternating days.

Off the Westerdam too in April and we had them, but it's June now. I missed those posts but I bet if you ask, you can get. Or go to the MDR and have breakfast - there are usually at least three choices on that menu (salmon and spinach at least if my memory serves)

One thing I thought really weird--I swear the shampoo provided in the showers is watered down to conserve product. I had to use what I normally would consider to be a ton of shampoo and I still wasn't able to completely lather my hair. Weird.

I believe that many cruise lines use low sudsing products to reduce problems in the sewage processing units on ships; sort of like if you are not careful and put too much detergent in your dishwasher/washer and have suds all over the place.

I have read elsewhere that it is not "suds/lather" that clean your hair it is the surfactants and detergents in the product and that lack of suds does not mean that it is not working properly as designed.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers