NCL update news

VideoTech

Travel magazine interview with Andy Stuart, president of NCL.

Interesting to read his comments that "Freestyle" was confusing to customers and they had to constantly explain it.

I have to agree with him on confusing to customer. Freestyle in the beginning was eat when you want, where you want and with whom you want, basically getting rid of the fixed dining times and assigned seating. Over the years, it morphed into do what you want, where you want, etc. Even on this forum many think it has something to do with the cost of things - FREEstyle, which it does not, so in MHO Mr. Staurt is 100% correct.

I have to agree with him on confusing to customer. Freestyle in the beginning was eat when you want, where you want and with whom you want, basically getting rid of the fixed dining times and assigned seating. Over the years, it morphed into do what you want, where you want, etc. Even on this forum many think it has something to do with the cost of things - FREEstyle, which it does not, so in MHO Mr. Staurt is 100% correct.

Not only that, but the concept of Freestyle was trying to co-exist alongside the concept of reservations. It doesn't make sense. How many posts here asking about whether or not reservations are needed for the MDR, for example.

Not only that, but the concept of Freestyle was trying to co-exist alongside the concept of reservations. It doesn't make sense. How many posts here asking about whether or not reservations are needed for the MDR, for example.
For me it co-exists. I get to eat when I want and where I want, I just like to plan ahead.

For me it co-exists. I get to eat when I want and where I want, I just like to plan ahead.

Yeah, like Andy said, people who have sailed NCL before get it and the two concepts can co-exist. For folks new to the brand, the whole thing can be confusing and in need of explanation.

No mystery to the availability. It's something NCL does with TA's to finish booking out a ship close to cruise dates. See below:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-vies-for-more-OTA-business

Not just with TA's and close cruise dates - - currently on NCL website the "X" guarantee staterooms for inside, oceanview , balcony and mini-suites on many sailings come without any promo perk. Sometimes there is so little $$ savings it wouldn't make sense to risk booking a guarantee but for close in sailings the savings can be worthwhile.