Dance Hosts

cpc3639

I have recently returned from a lovely voyage aboard QV. My only negative observation I am sad to note was the quality of dance hosts. I do not dance very often and I certainly am no expert, but even I could recognise that the dance hosts new little more than myself. If I was disappointed by this, I would dread to think what a dancer with more experience would feel? I do hope that this was a one off experience and not one I will also have on board QM2 next month.

I am an experienced dancer and I have been on a number of cruises. Your experience was quite typical. A good dancer as a Dance Host is someone to be excited about, rather than someone to expect. Cherish the good ones and put up with the mediocre or worse. It's still better than just sitting.

The dancing ability of Cunard's dance-hosts has been covered before on numerous occasions and the reality is that their capabilities vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. If all the hosts on your Queen Victoria cruise were very poor dancers then you were a little unlucky.

Earlier this year we did two lengthy sectors of the world cruise on Queen Victoria and one dance-host was a really excellent ballroom dancer who knew how to lead, another couple of hosts were satisfactory and the other three (putting it kindly) left much to be desired.

That's the way it is with Cunard and not much has changed since Queen Mary 2 was launched in 2004. Maybe you will have better luck next time.

Sixth Star in Ft Lauderdale used to have the contract for hosts on QM2. I checked them out years ago, all they wanted was an audition video, very worried about appearance but the total dancing was "some patterns". No surprise the quality is so dismal. On another thread, Bell Boy says Danceafloat from the UK is now providing hosts. From their web site, they do demand hosts be able to dance. As far as I know, Compass Speakers, also Ft Lauderdale, has the QV/QE contract. How Danceafloat fits into all this I don't know. Perhaps some UK lady could call and see what information she can pry loose?

Hi Dancer Bob, As I understand it Danceafloat has a contract to provide Gentlemen Hosts only from the UK , not too sure about those on the other side of the pond.

I know quite a few of the UK guys who go through Danceafloat and I've even looked into my self. I visited their headquarters in Ipswich a few months ago and from what I understand they require the Gentlemen to be able to dance a choice of at least Five dances 'reasonably well' .;)