Eagle viewing area in Ketchiken?

jean-lynd

Has anyone been to the "Eagle Viewing Area" by Silver Lining Seafood? It looks like it is very close to Pier 4. Supposedly the eagles roost in that area because of the waste water from the canning facility. I was just wondering if anyone had been there and if they thought it was worth seeing.

Thanks!

That area is absolutely stunning in June. Lots of baby and adult eagles. But by August, they are all gone. This is my experience, and yours may vary.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That area is absolutely stunning in June. Lots of baby and adult eagles. But by August, they are all gone. This is my experience, and yours may vary.

Thanks cvpends - we will be there next week so it sounds like we have a good chance to see them!

Thanks cvpends - we will be there next week so it sounds like we have a good chance to see them!

Perfect! When there in June two years ago we took the Duck tour and saw dozens of eagles from the water. I do recommend getting out on the water, one way or another.

Figure 20 minutes, walking, from the Visitor Center. Significant- you verify low tides as that is when you want to consider. I wouldn't give this area any priority over other tours, or in lieu of. OK- to consider if you have a long port time and nothing else to do. A benefit- if going to Totem bight via city bus, just get on/off the bus, near there, and walk only in one direction.

Edited by Budget Queen

Figure 20 minutes, walking, from the Visitor Center. Significant- you verify low tides as that is when you want to consider. I wouldn't give this area any priority over other tours, or in lieu of. OK- to consider if you have a long port time and nothing else to do. A benefit- if going to Totem bight via city bus, just get on/off the bus, near there, and walk only in one direction.

We have a short port tome and no other plans. We love bald eagles so we were hoping we could check this spot out. Are you saying that there won't be any eagles there except at low tide? Low tides are at 4am and 4pm so we won't be there then.

Thanks!

I don't quite understand your response, BQ. OP wants to see eagles. Do you know a low budget way to see them? I would like to know also, since I will be in Ketchikan in early July.

I don't quite understand your response, BQ. OP wants to see eagles. Do you know a low budget way to see them? I would like to know also, since I will be in Ketchikan in early July.

There really aren't specific "eagle areas" where you will always see them., but good chances in multiple areas. All you have to do- is LOOK up- all the time. :) They can be anywhere. An eagles, a few weeks ago, were on the dock coming into Juneau and Hoonah , as example. Easily seen, but had to be pointed out to a lot of people, who didn't notice them in the trees.

IF you happen to be taking a whale watch out of Juneau- having your return at low tide, is a pretty sure eagle viewing opportunity.

You don't need any "budget", frankly. If you make some effort- have, a lot of, outside viewing and a good pair of binoculars you'll see some.