OK independant travelers - need advice?

sprinkles

Hello all,

Thinking about doing southbound Whittier to Vancouver May 22 2006 (a Monday). DH and I always prefer to make our own arrangements and have never done Alaska. We have to make our vacation sign-ups at work in the next month and are trying to decide really how much time we need to sign up for. I am thinking of passing on Denali and just doing a day tour to Kenai Nat park (if I'm not mistaken it looks like you can take a day rail/boat tour from Ancourage). Is it reasonable that we could fly out of Los Angeles Friday night, rest Saturday, take the day tour to Kenai on Sunday (and back to Ancourage Sunday night), then arrange for our own transportation to Whittier on Monday morning? Keeping in mind that we condiser ourselves the Griswolds (we spent 24 hours in Paris and had a blast), or is this just too much?

I haven't spent alot of time looking at Vancouver yet, but we would have six days to play around with at the end of our cruise. I keep hearing about Victoria being a great place to go visit.

Help suggestions advice? We could take another week vacation at the begining of the cruise, but would rather save it for another vacation later in the year.

Thanks,

Tammy

I never recommend Seward as a day trip. If this timeframe is your only option, I instead suggest you overnight there and make direct travel arrangements to Whittier. That would give you at least another morning for touring Seward, since you wouldn't have to be in Whittier until evening. If you do have another week, I would suggest at least 3 days interior Alaska and 3 out of Vancouver, Victoria (not a day trip either in my opinion).

With a rental car, head north to Talkeetna, with plenty of stops along the way, Eagle River Nature Center, Hatcher Pass, Eklutna Spirt House tour, etc etc etc, see Anchoage. Then train to Seward- superior scenery. Then next day to ship via the Seward Highway so you experience both. Contact PJ's Taxi perhaps for tranfer information Seward/Whittier?

Thanks Budget Queen,

I hadn't thought about heading out to Kenai Saturday. How would we be able to get to Whittier directly from Seward (I'm guessing Kenai is near or in Seward)?

Thanks,

Tammy

For clairfication there is the reference of the Kenai Peninsula which is the whole area and the city of Kenai - no where near Seward, on the Cook Inlet. As I mention, I would contact PJ's Taxi in Seward- I would not consider going to Seward and then taking your too short time and backtracking to Anchorage. http://www.pjstaxi.com/

And for ultra double clarification, Kenai Fjords Nat Park is indeed best reached from Seward. Most of those tours are by boat, (use a toursaver for a killer deal) and can last up to 9 hours (just took one - it was awesome). However, you can also visit exit glacier in Seward, drive up and walk around the glacier area on foot, and this technically is also a small corner of Kenai Fjords Nat Park. Seward is a 2 hour drive from Anchorage, and about the same from Whittier. Also in Seward: the sea life center. And if you like Puffins, you'll like Seward.

thomas

And for ultra double clarification, Kenai Fjords Nat Park is indeed best reached from Seward. Most of those tours are by boat, (use a toursaver for a killer deal) and can last up to 9 hours (just took one - it was awesome). However, you can also visit exit glacier in Seward, drive up and walk around the glacier area on foot, and this technically is also a small corner of Kenai Fjords Nat Park. Seward is a 2 hour drive from Anchorage, and about the same from Whittier. Also in Seward: the sea life center. And if you like Puffins, you'll like Seward.

thomas

It is usually more than 2 hours Seward/Anchorage, I would suggest you allow 3, 125 miles and not a marathon trip. :)

Since your cruise departs May 22, coming a week early puts you in Alaska awfully close to the beginning of the season, and the weather may not be too conducive to trekking around. Better to spend it in Vancouver at the end, and enjoy your second vacation later. IMO, that is...

BTW, flying out of LA on Friday night means you arrive in ANC at 1 in the morning, best case. I wouldn't over-schedule yourselves too much for Saturday.

One recommendation I could make would be to take a flightseeing trip on a float plane from Lake Hood in Anchorage on Saturday afternoon, rather then fussing with cars and all that. You could overfly some spectacular scenery and not have to pack, drive, bivouac, etc. You might find you begin the cruise more relaxed and having had a great experience, rather than driving behind some arbitrary RV on the Seward Highway for several hours.

My first Alaskan cruise was Vancouver round trip. Spent 3 days precruise in Vancouver/Victoria. My second Alaskan cruise was southbound. Spent 5 days precruise touring interior Alaska by rental car. It was fabulous - Alaska is truly God's country and early-mid May would be spectacular touring with lots of snow in the mountains. I much prefer spending my time in Alaska and in fact hope to spend 3 weeks there next year (without cruise). Laurie

OK thanks everyone, you've convinced me to take it easy in Anchorage. Now another question (I've tried searching for this but I'm still confused), how does an independent traveler get from Anchorage to Whittier?

Tammy

OK thanks everyone, you've convinced me to take it easy in Anchorage. Now another question (I've tried searching for this but I'm still confused), how does an independent traveler get from Anchorage to Whittier?

Tammy

As above there is the Alaska RR, but also cruiseline contracted bus and rail, one way car rental with Avis, independent bus- Magic Bus as well as others.

Archived