Cozumel/Key West

ferret

The pictures posted of the cruise piers in Cozumel show major damage. They (apparently) still don't have power and are only beginning to assess damage. While tendering might be used in lieu of piers, the whole infrastructure of the town seems to be very heavily damaged. The indications are that many lines will be substituting Costa Maya (undamaged) for Cozumel for some period. We had a port call at Costa Maya on the Mariner in late 2002. Brand new (at that time) port, but little development. Access to a couple of mid-sized Mayan sites. We went to Chacchobean {sp?} which was interesting enough. Unless they've done a lot in the last two years you can't expect the same variety of options as Cozumel.

Key West ought to be open for business.

We are booked on the November 21st Voyager cruise scheduled to visit Cozumel on November 24th - 25th. Not sure if we will make it or not. I heard that Cozumel is trying to open for cruise passengers by November 14th. However, passengers will have to be tendered in since the cruise ship piers are either gone or damaged. That is all I know. I have read that Cozumel is a mess but trying very hard to get to a stage that cruise passengers can come. Not sure what Radisson will decide to do about Cozumel. I heard most the beaches have lost their sand and palapas. The beautiul national park Chankanaab Park is totally gone but the Dophins were rescued. I am sure that the shore excursions will have to be revised if we do go to Cozumel. Very sorry for the people of Cozumel and Cancun and the entire region. I think that Grand Cayman is ok and Key West will be back up by both of our cruises. Don't know if you are scheduled for Grand Cayman and Key West.

Good luck,

Adelle

Costa Maya is better than Cozumel if you are interested in archeology.

I've been to Costa Maya and Cozumel and I did like Costa Maya better. Cozumel is too "Americanized". The major difference between it and a frat party is they have tequila instead of cheap beer.

I'm obviously not taking this cruise for the ports of call, because they are not that interesting, but I'm still curious where we'll go.

ferret-a short luxury cruise to Mexico and Key West right before the holiday madness sounds great.

I think so too!

the best time to cruise is that time of year. You miss hurricane season (I will never book in the caribbean during hurricane season again!) and there are great deals because nobody wants to travel them (too busy, I guess?)

I can't wait to try Radisson. It's time to move to a higher level of service.

Heard from my Travel Agent this afternoon to inform me that Radisson said there would be NO CHANGES to our itinerary. Therefore we are going to Key West, Cozumel and Grand Cayman as planned. I read on tripadvisor.com that Cozumel is working very hard to be ready for the first cruise ships since the hurricane on November 15th. Still don't know if we will be able to dock or will have to anchor and tender. I think our cruise will be the first Radisson cruise ater hurricane Wilma to go to Cozumel. I will let you know how it goes.

Adelle

• 2 weeks later...

I received a call from John at RSSC today with the following new itinerary for the voyager cruise over Thanksgiving:

11/21 Fort Lauderdale

11/22 Key West

11/23 Cruising the Yucatan Strait

11/24 Belize City

11/25 Roatan Island, Honduras

11/26 Grand Cayman

11/27 At sea

11/28 Fort Lauderdale

Cozumel will have to wait until next time. Now I have to research two new ports!

Found out that we will have a change of itinerary for Thanksgiving cruise on Voyager and am very happy with the changes. We get to visit Roatan, one of the best dive locations, but unfortunately only for about 4 hours there. Supposed to be a lovely island. Excited about Belize. Must look up all the possibilities there. We have 10 in our family group. Unfortunately the children may be too young to tube down the river on Belize. They have rain forest and Mayan ruins and nice beaches. Should be an even better cruise than originally planned. Very happy with Radisson decisions. Only thing we had already booked was a private charter of a boat on Grand Cayman to see Stingray Sandbar, snorkel the reef and have lunch and beach time at Rum Point beach. That is still a go. Can hardly wait for this cruise and it has only been three weeks since we returned from our last cruise.

adelle

• 1 month later...

Archived