Can I buy bottles of Wine easily in Rome?

whitestash

We are staying in the Trevi area of Rome the night before the cruise. We were hoping that it would be easy to find a liquor store where we could buy the 2 bottles that we are allowed to bring onto the ship in Rome. Otherwise we have to check it in our lugguage and with weight allowances this would put us over. Any insight into whether it is difficult or rather easy to find would be great. Thanks

Since you did not give the name of your hotel, simply as them at the front desk for the nearest wine shop. Last time in Rome we purchased our wine just before getting on the train to Civitavecchia. Packed it in our carry-on. Fortunately for us this shop was between the hotel & train station. You should have no issues in finding wine in Rome unless it's on a Sunday. We enjoyed a super trip on Celebrity, with great weather.

Happy travels, John

Thank you for the information. We are actually arriving on a Sunday...what is the issue on a Sunday?

Shops closed. Not sure if there is actually a law forbidding Sunday opening but shops in Italy are generally closed on Sundays. Some may be open in the morning.

That said, you certainly can gets wines at Rome Termini. I did for the night train to Munich last November.

There are a fair number of small "supermarkets" (by Italian, not by US, standards) in the historic center of Rome, but you have to look for them. They are often tucked into small spaces and you almost wouldn't know it's a grocery store unless you look carefully. These are almost all open 7 days a week and they usually carry a good if somewhat basic selection of wine.

Chains to look for include Despar (one of these is just steps from the Pantheon), Carrefour (several in the historic center), and Conad.

There are a fair number of small "supermarkets" (by Italian, not by US, standards) in the historic center of Rome, but you have to look for them. They are often tucked into small spaces and you almost wouldn't know it's a grocery store unless you look carefully. These are almost all open 7 days a week and they usually carry a good if somewhat basic selection of wine.

Chains to look for include Despar (one of these is just steps from the Pantheon), Carrefour (several in the historic center), and Conad.

I'll add that I'm often surprised at what very good wines I find in small local supermarkets. Always worth checking!