Dress down casual dining rooms now?

conwakr

Again, you assume things I never posted. I never said I wasn't happy with Carnival. It is my favorite line. Concerning this one subject, I wish they had a more stringent dress code in the MDR

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Okay, I don't want to assume, so explain to me why you wish that?

I see all these posts about the dress becoming more casual on elegant night and I must just pick the right cruises because I have not seen a change. Almost everyone dresses up and I see a lot of long dresses, not too many tuxes but a lot of suits and at the minimum ties. I enjoy that part of the cruise the most it is just the ambiance. The tables whether they have tablecloths or not does not matter to me. Maybe it is because we only do 7 night or more, I can imagine the shorter cruises being more casual. Just my experiences the last 2 years.

Our first few cruises we took a garment bag with a couple long dresses for me, and a full suit/shirts for DH, and dress shoes (packed in another suitcase) but we quickly tired of dressing up, and as the years have gone by we see fewer people dressing up like that and with the airlines charging for bags we stopped taking the fancy dress clothes.

Now, for regular nights in the MDR DH will wear khaki slacks and a polo shirt or Hawaiian type floral button up shirt. I wear slacks and a nice top. For cruise elegant nights he wears dress pants with a buttoned shirt (no tie) and I wear dressy slacks and a sparkly top.

What others wear has never concerned me and I wouldn't wish they would go to the buffet if they choose not to dress up even a little. I pay attention to my own tablemates and enjoy a nice dinner and conversation.

So from the sound of it, on elegant night my husband could get away with nice dress shorts and a button down collared shirt and me a long skirt and top and still get into the MDR? We used to dress up all the time but with 2 small kids and only bringing 2 suitcase (we are flying) space is very limited for "extras"

I believe your husband will need long pants for elegant night not jeans or shorts. Go to Carnival's website and read the FAQ's for the dress codes. I usually notice people do make an effort to dress up, not very many are formal but nicely dressed. Some people on here make it sound like everyone's dressed like a slob just to push their agenda. Do some maybe get past the MD without following the dress code? Sure, but from what I've observed they are the exception not the rule.

So from the sound of it, on elegant night my husband could get away with nice dress shorts and a button down collared shirt and me a long skirt and top and still get into the MDR? We used to dress up all the time but with 2 small kids and only bringing 2 suitcase (we are flying) space is very limited for "extras"

It depends on the MDR. We saw someone turned away for sweat pants but multiple people were wearing shorts and not turned away on elegant night. I even saw short shorts with halter tops on elegant night. So IDK....

I think it's pretty clear what you can't wear to the dining room on Carnival on any night.

No cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I think it's less clear what to wear on what they are "calling cruise elegant". So I asked. They ought to just call it "dress-up" night and be done with it.

I believe your husband will need long pants for elegant night not jeans or shorts. Go to Carnival's website and read the FAQ's for the dress codes. I usually notice people do make an effort to dress up, not very many are formal but nicely dressed. Some people on here make it sound like everyone's dressed like a slob just to push their agenda. Do some maybe get past the MD without following the dress code? Sure, but from what I've observed they are the exception not the rule.

The fun times on the ships do allow jeans. The website is out of date. Check the fun time from any ship on elegant night for the past year

The fun times on the ships do allow jeans. The website is out of date. Check the fun time from any ship on elegant night for the past year

I just looked up a review with funtimes in march, and there isn't anywhere on the funtimes themselves with the dress code. However, there is an insert with the dress code for both cruise casual and cruise elegant nights. It still says for cruise elegant night that you can't wear jeans, shorts, swimwear, baseball caps, flip flops, men's sleeveless shirts or t-shirts. Maybe I'm missing where that info is on the funtimes that is different. They definitely aren't enforcing it, but some people may want to know what the dress code says.

I just looked up a review with funtimes in march' date=' and there isn't anywhere on the funtimes themselves with the dress code. However, there is an insert with the dress code for both cruise casual and cruise elegant nights. It still says for cruise elegant night that you can't wear jeans, shorts, swimwear, baseball caps, flip flops, men's sleeveless shirts or t-shirts. Maybe I'm missing where that info is on the funtimes that is different. They definitely aren't enforcing it, but some people may want to know what the dress code says.[/quote']

On the fun times we had this past week...it is listed under the dining times. It says either "cruise casual" or "elegant" and it says what is not allowed. Like flip flops, athletic shorts etc.

I just looked up a review with funtimes in march' date=' and there isn't anywhere on the funtimes themselves with the dress code. However, there is an insert with the dress code for both cruise casual and cruise elegant nights. It still says for cruise elegant night that you can't wear jeans, shorts, swimwear, baseball caps, flip flops, men's sleeveless shirts or t-shirts. Maybe I'm missing where that info is on the funtimes that is different. They definitely aren't enforcing it, but some people may want to know what the dress code says.[/quote']

Look by the dining times. Regular jeans are fine on elegant night. Just pointing out the website and what they actually say on ships don't match

See this thread. It says cut off jeans on the Funtimes. That doesn't mean all jeans.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49907836&postcount=3