Asking those who have done New England in october

San Diego Ellie

Our only October cruise was round-trip from New York City to New England and Canada. We had great weather except for a rainy day in Newport. But even then, the seas were not too rough. I think one reason is that the ports are fairly close together.

They were close together for my cruises also :D

We were on the Regal last October, out of NY. Weather varied greatly and was perfect until just outside Bar Harbor. It was sunny and dry, but very windy. The Captain announced that our hours ashore would be cut back due to approaching weather. Tender ride back to ship in Bar Harbor was interesting. Fortunately DH and I do not get seasick. Next day was scheduled to be Saint John, was cancelled due to high winds so we had another sea day (no complaints here!) Final port was Halifax, still a bit windy, weather was sunny and dry, beautiful day. We headed south back to NY after that and weather calmed down after 12 hrs or so. If your friend is that sensitive, maybe it's not the cruise for her.

Will be on the Crown Princess in October, Quebec to NYC. Will definitely be wearing my "Reliefband." Don't want to get off topic as these are covered elsewhere on Cruise Critic but couldn't help bringing up this wonderful way to prevent seasickness.

We have booked two consecutive weeks and I am not the one bothered by rough seas. We have done everything from TA's to Antarctica, and have had all kinds of seas. But my friend is thinking of booking one of the weeks with us, and she gets quite seasick in rough seas, so I told her I would be honest about all the information I can get. Thanks for the information you gave. I should have mentioned that this is Regal, round trip New York.

DH and I are booked on the same cruise leaving October 14. Thank you for posting this because I was thinking the same thing.

No matter what each person says about their experiences you may or may not encounter bad weather. Each cruise has its own unique set of circumstances. Odds are it will be fine but there is a chance of encountering rough weather doing that cruise at that time of year.

• 2 months later...
DH and I are booked on the same cruise leaving October 14. Thank you for posting this because I was thinking the same thing.

Same here. Same cruise, same question. Thank you for the answer!

We were on the Emerald Quebec to Ft Lauderdale in 2012 when Superstorm Sandy hit the east coast. Fortunately, the Captain was able to substitute and rearrange ports but we had a cruise that was nothing like what we scheduled to have but we had a great anyway. Since we missed Sandy we had calm weather going down the East Coast.There were several hundred passengers who had embarked in NYC(they marketed a variation of the cruise) and were to disembark there but the Coast Guard closed the port. So we did stop in Boston but only to get those folks off the ship and bussed to NY, we were not allowed off the ship. So just be aware things do happen especially that time of year.

We have sailed New England twice. Once many years ago aboard the old Regal. We hit a wind storm sailing out of New York. We skipped Newport, RI to sail around the storm. I didn't get sick, but seas were pretty rough the first couple of nights.

Last year we sailed from Quebec to New York in October aboard the CB. Weather and seas were fine. We did get some rain in Bar Harbor, but the seas were fine.

As Pam and others have posted - weather happens.

So far, the weather hasn't been a huge factor in making or ruining our New England cruises in October.

I have done NEw England in October twice and it was beautiful. The weather was cool and the foliage was amazing. On one trip we could not get into St. John and opted for another port, but it was no big deal. New England is one of my most favorite trips by cruise ship