Civitavecchia to Cinque Terre by Train?

eel

The luggage is the main issue. If the train station at Civitavecchia had an elevator we probably could make it work. But with two suitcases each plus backpacks I don't think making it up and down stairs would work. I also have some back and knee issues so no point ruining a great vacation through an injury.

Price is a wash as our rental car only costs about 140 euros for 4 days and the train would have been close to that for the two of us. Of course we still have to pay for gasoline. The hotel we found in Cinque Terre has free parking. Driving has it's plus and minuses. I have driven in Italy before but only in the northern part of the country.

Our trip is in October. I will post here when we get back about how the driving went.

Have a great vacation. I saw Villa Steno had parking and great reviews. Did you book there? I sent them an online inquiry.

Have a great vacation. I saw Villa Steno had parking and great reviews. Did you book there? I sent them an online inquiry.

We are staying at Hotel 5 Terre in Monterosso al Mare.

Your place looks great but no availability for our dates.

Edited by eel

We are staying at Hotel 5 Terre in Monterosso al Mare.

Your place looks great but no availability for our dates.

I couldn't get that place either. ;) In any case, I learned that many places have a three day minimum. We decided to book early and are just staying two nights post cruise at Hotel La Villa Degli Argentieri.

• 2 months later...
The luggage is the main issue. If the train station at Civitavecchia had an elevator we probably could make it work. But with two suitcases each plus backpacks I don't think making it up and down stairs would work. I also have some back and knee issues so no point ruining a great vacation through an injury.

Price is a wash as our rental car only costs about 140 euros for 4 days and the train would have been close to that for the two of us. Of course we still have to pay for gasoline. The hotel we found in Cinque Terre has free parking. Driving has it's plus and minuses. I have driven in Italy before but only in the northern part of the country.

Our trip is in October. I will post here when we get back about how the driving went.

I must report that driving was absolutely the best choice for us when visiting Cinque Terre post-cruise. Basically anyone with more than maybe 30 pounds of luggage per person should avoid using the train between Civitavechia and Cinque Terre. Driving was not too bad and we enjoyed the scenery along the way.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For the second time . La Spezia Centrale has lifts linking the paltforms to the subway (Sottopassagio).

Monterosso el Mare . A couple of steps down from the arrival platform to street level .

RULES OF PACKING for Overseas travel :

ONE medium size case each + 1 piece hand luggage per person.

Put out what you think you need. HALVE everything and pack that . You will still come home with items you have NOT worn . I travel Europe for 4 weeks each year on 15kg maximum for the case .

Edited by kuldalai

For the second time . La Spezia Centrale has lifts linking the paltforms to the subway (Sottopassagio).

Monterosso el Mare . A couple of steps down from the arrival platform to street level .

RULES OF PACKING for Overseas travel :

ONE medium size case each + 1 piece hand luggage per person.

Put out what you think you need. HALVE everything and pack that . You will still come home with items you have NOT worn . I travel Europe for 4 weeks each year on 15kg maximum for the case .

Your "Rules of Packing" made me smile (and a bit jealous). There is no way that DW and moi head off on a 2 month trip (most of our trips to Europe are about that length) with that amount of luggage. But guess I can dream :).

Hank

I am even stricter than Kuldalai. Pre-kids we were almost always carry-on only. Recently did a 2 week European trip with 2 kids with 1 checked bag total. This was a multi-city land trip, would double the luggage for a cruise. Know yourself though you might need to walk to get to your hotel and if that doesn't sound appealing don't do it. Taxis or porters might not be an option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some people enjoy travel while packing light and some people enjoy bringing what they want and not doing laundry in their sink all the time. Different strokes for different folks. We would never survive on just a carryon bag and why spoil our trip if we won't enjoy it!

The point is for people that pack heavy (I was going to say "normal" but don't want to start a war!) is that you can do Cinque Terre quite easily with 80 kg of luggage if you rent a car. And for our two month trip including 3 cruises and stops in the Netherlands, Italy, Paris and Barcelona this is the right approach for us.

Also it is NOT just a few steps down from the train platform to street level in Monterosa. And there is NO elevator at the train station in Civitavecchia where we would have started from. Whatever is available at La Spezia is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by eel