missed port for medical emergency/credit?

eepellet

As I've said I really don't mind missing ports and understand them trying to get a guest to proper medical staff hopefully in time to save them. But I like going against Carnival/cruise groupies that defend them to no end and stating what normal people think. I would say 2000ish guests are thinking like the OP and me and are expecting something in compensation, whether it is in the contract or not. Most big companies in America tend to try keep people happy and giving some OBC is a good way to at least stop the majority of the complaining.

and this is where the problem comes from.

All I can say is that I work in a hospital and we can literally save someones life and they will still complain about the food and expect us to compensate them somehow so perhaps I am a bit jaded when it comes to "customer service."

If you deal with people who expect to be compensated like that then you should be more understanding. You really did come across as heartless. You didn't say how old your boys are but that could have been an opportunity to teach them a lesson that sometimes things happen to disrupt your plans but there are other people worse off than yourselves.

Why does it seem that people want something because they miss a port. Does no one read the cruise contract they agree too?

Port are never guaranteed. If a certain port is that important to you, WHY DON'T YOU FLY THERE?

You say that you don't want to sound callous, but what I got was. "Some person died and my vacation was changed to something I didn't care for and now I want Carnival to do something for me that they really don't have to do. Shame on the person for dying and ruining my trip"

See how bad that sounds?

Why does it seem that people want something because they miss a port. Does no one read the cruise contract they agree too?

Port are never guaranteed. If a certain port is that important to you, WHY DON'T YOU FLY THERE?

You say that you don't want to sound callous, but what I got was. "Some person died and my vacation was changed to something I didn't care for and now I want Carnival to do something for me that they really don't have to do. Shame on the person for dying and ruining my trip"

See how bad that sounds?

Funny how each person interperates a post. I read it as an inexperienced cruiser who had read things about compensation and wondered if it applied in this case.

There have been a few times over the years that we have missed a port. The only time we ever received compensation was when it was due to a mechanical issue with the ship. When we have missed ports due to weather or medical emergencies, we only received a refund of port fees and excursions.

OP-

I understand that you were not trying to be harsh against the family, and that you feel very disappointed that you missed Cozumel. On my first cruise, we in fact missed Grand Cayman - due to weather. As many others have noted, that is a very common port to miss and lucky that you got "2" stops there to really better explore the island. I was SO upset because I really was looking forward to taking my boys to swim with the sting rays. The difference between us is that (after I sulked while we sailed away) I was fortunate enough to then turn to my family and say, well, I guess we will be cruising again next spring break and taking another shot at Grand Cayman.

We did and were successful. But that however, is not my point (and neither is the fact that I am fortunate enough to be able to vacation multiple times a year). My point is that I chose to cruise again, knowing now that missing ports was a very real thing. I chose a cruise that included Grand Cayman, because if we missed it again, we still had a great vacation, and Grand Cayman wasn't SO important that I wanted to spend a week there. Basically I decided was getting to Grand Cayman by cruise or not at all.

Cozumel or Cancun however are a different story and it would be easy to spend 4-7 days in these places. There is such a wide variety of things to do from snorkeling (open ocean, shore or cave) to swimming with dolphins or whale sharks, to cultural excursions like cooking or tequila or Mayan ruins. We have been lucky enough to go to Mexico more times than I can count - all on cruises - and I do not get bored of it. I plan a 4-5 day land vacation to take hubby swimming with the whale sharks for his 50th birthday - sooner than he would like to admit!:eek:

That's a long way of saying that if Tulum is on your "bucket list" then it is worth saving and making Cancun or Cozumel that your next vacation...even if it is a few years down the road. Consider all the factors - like stay away from hurricane season which could blow (excuse the pun), and look for value seasons like May. Price it out now, and set a budget. Like I said, we are fortunate enough to be able to vacation multiple times a year but that still takes planning and budgeting to stay within our finances and I recognize there are people even more fortunate than I - ahh to be the person who can take a world cruise, sigh;).

What's done is done and the best thing you can do now is plan the best vacation - whenever it may be - so you can see this beautiful place!

Tulum is a 45 minute rough ferry ride, over an hour in a bus, it's HOT (110 degrees when i was there), not such a great site other than where it is perched on a cliff, another bus ride back and another rough ferry ride back. There are much better ruins elsewhere.

If you'd like to see countries and have no one's pesky death hamper your vacation paid for with money saved over many years then go to EPCOT.

Start in the World Showcase and work your way around. Go counter-clockwise to avoid the crowds.

Sheesh...

Totally Agree! The selfishness and self-centeredness of some people is simply appalling....and the begging for more! READ the contract before you sail, and get down on your knees and be thankful that all your party was intact!

Just back from a 5 night cruise on the Paradise. We left our first port, Grand Cayman, on time. About 5 hours later they announced that due to a medical emergency we had to turn back. About 2 1/2 hours later they announce that we aren't going to the next port, which was Cozumel. We just spent another day in Grand Cayman.

The next day we heard from a couple we met on board that an assistant cruise director told them that the woman who had a heart attack unfortunately passed away on the tender going back ashore. While my heart goes out to the woman and her family, what they were told next is what bothers me. According to them the assistant said that the only reason we didn't go on to Cozumel was because Carnival was not willing to pay the airfare for the woman's family and her casket to go home. Obviously I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. They also said they were told that each person would receive a $60 credit.

We got our excursion fee refunded, but did not see any other credits.

I don't mean to sound callous because obviously they did the right thing getting this woman care as fast as possible, but we had to save for several years for this trip and the only reason we chose the Paradise was because of the Cozumel stop. Both my husband and I and our two teenage boys were really looking forward to the Tulum/snorkeling excursion.

I saw on another posting on this site that another Carnival cruise earlier this year got into port late due to an emergency and each person received a $25 credit and 20% off on a future cruise.

If we manage to save money for another vacation in a few years I don't see why Carnival wouldn't do something to something to encourage us to cruise with them again as opposed to just going somewhere and staying at a resort, or going on another cruise line.

Has anyone had experience communicating with Carnival for issues like this? Any success?

Thanks in advance.

You sound a little callous. Even if Carnival did offer future compensation, there is a time limit and a few years would be too late, anyway.

Ok, so you feel like you are entitled to something else? We were on Magic last year and missed Roatan because of high wind. I overheard a woman tell an officer in front of GS that she had saved for years to go on a cruise that went to that port, my opinion is if you saved for years to go to ANY ONE port, you better fly there, because there are many circumstances that can prevent a port call. :D:D

We missed Calica on our first cruise because of T

thruster problems. The next year we missed Belize because of winds and they took us to Calica. I had booked Belize exclusively for the Cavetubing, so, the next year I booked the same cruise and got to go cavetubing.

Nothing is guaranteed. They do the best they can do under existing circumstance. You just need to shrug it off and book another cruise, or like stated earlier, book a flight to the port of interest.

Back in 2009, we missed both ports when CCL decided not to dock in Mexico due to the recent spread of the swine flu. They did take us to key West, FL where we spent about 10 hours. We were told we'd get back both missed port charges, which we did. Months later, much to our surprise, we got a call from CCL saying they were going to send us a voucher for 50% off a future cruise. We decided not to hold our breath about that but sure enough they sent one. The only stipulation was that one of the original cruisers had to use it. So my hubby stayed home and I took our daughter on her first cruise later that year. I think we got lucky to have received that.

Just back from a 5 night cruise on the Paradise. We left our first port, Grand Cayman, on time. About 5 hours later they announced that due to a medical emergency we had to turn back. About 2 1/2 hours later they announce that we aren't going to the next port, which was Cozumel. We just spent another day in Grand Cayman.

The next day we heard from a couple we met on board that an assistant cruise director told them that the woman who had a heart attack unfortunately passed away on the tender going back ashore. While my heart goes out to the woman and her family, what they were told next is what bothers me. According to them the assistant said that the only reason we didn't go on to Cozumel was because Carnival was not willing to pay the airfare for the woman's family and her casket to go home. Obviously I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. We got our excursion fee refunded, but did not see any other credit.

I don't mean to sound callous because obviously they did the right thing getting this woman care as fast as possible, but we had to save for several years for this trip and the only reason we chose the Paradise was because of the Cozumel stop. Both my husband and I and our two teenage boys were really looking forward to the Tulum/snorkeling excursion.

I saw on another posting on this site that another Carnival cruise earlier this year got into port late due to an emergency and each person received a $25 credit and 20% off on a future cruise.

If we manage to save money for another vacation in a few years I don't see why Carnival wouldn't do something to something to encourage us to cruise with them again as opposed to just going somewhere and staying at a resort, or going on another cruise line.

Has anyone had experience communicating with Carnival for issues like this? Any success?

Thanks in advance.

It is not Carnival's responsibility to pay for airfare to ship the casket and family home. That's what insurance is for.

The next day we heard from a couple we met on board that an assistant cruise director told them that the woman who had a heart attack unfortunately passed away on the tender going back ashore. While my heart goes out to the woman and her family, what they were told next is what bothers me. According to them the assistant said that the only reason we didn't go on to Cozumel was because Carnival was not willing to pay the airfare for the woman's family and her casket to go home. Obviously I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. They also said they were told that each person would receive a $60 credit.

We got our excursion fee refunded, but did not see any other credits.

Thanks in advance.

First of all I don't believe for a minute that the ACD said that was the reason for not going to Cozumel, and as always when a port is missed everyone says that port was the only reason they took the cruise, I say hogwash, had they missed a different port that port would have been the one they took the cruise for. The only thing they have to and will give back to all guests is the port fee taxes, read the cruise contract you signed, they do not need to do anything more. If it had been one of your loved ones you would feel differently and be mad at anyone that grumbled like you are doing now.

Last time our ship (on Holland America) needed to cancel the Grand Cayman port for safety reason (not safe for tender due to strong wave), every one got $50 credit back plus port charges and taxes, plus a glass of champagne. Every one was happy.