2 Jul - Train or Drive to Terminal Southampton

Hi, we have friends with us who are travelling to Southampton on 2 Jul. They could take the train, or we could drop them of at the terminal. There are 4 ships in port that day including Independence. What would you recommend, is the traffic likely to be bad near the port due to roadworks?

Many thanks.

Hi

I`m also from Stafford and love cruising !!

I have always travelled down from Stafford to Southampton by train, direct from Stafford station to Southampton Central... journey takes about 3 hours and 15 mins on cross country trains - its a long journey but if are in a group I`m sure you will entertain yourselves.

Cant speak for traffic at the port as I dont drive and can honestly say I`ve never noticed the traffic but I can imagine with there being 4 ships in that day including the Indpedence it will be VERY busy - think of 4 ship loads of people with cars getting OFF the ships and 4 ship loads of people with cars getting ON the ships....

Cruisefan2012

Edited by cruisefan2012

As cruisefan2012 states, with 4 ships in that day I would come down by train. No worrying about traffic holdups on the day until you are actually in Southampton.

I would have alerts set up for the train journey though, and allow at least 1/2 hour-1hr from getting to the station to boarding time.

We are on the Aurora 2nd July. We are staying overnight in Southampton prior to our cruise. In my opinion I would use the train. I would never drive to Southampton on the day of the cruise. So much could go wrong re traffic jams, I know from past experience that a journey that should take 2 hours can take twice as long, if not more. That is before you get to Southampton, which can be VERY busy.

We live in Stone, Staffordshire and have always driven down and even when there is more than 4 ships in dock we have never had any great trouble with traffic in Southampton. Give yourself plenty of time and if you are early park up and go for a coffee in Ikea or in West Quay. Would not even consider travelling by train if I was travelling on the day of the cruise.

I'm a bit further north than you in Lancashire. We always drive down and stay over in Winchester the night before to start the holiday a bit earlier. Nice spa hotel with a pool and they do a deal with a meal and cocktail in the restaurant which is lovely. I think it was about £140 for two of us with dinner, bed and breakfast and use of the spa. And Winchester is beautiful,for a wander around and only about 15 -30 minutes to the port.

I took the train last month and coming back on the Saturday it was packed ,fortunately we were in first class but lots of people came into first class and paid the supplement rather than stand. Our train started in Manchester and went to Southampton central, the taxi to Ocean terminal was just over a fiver for 3 of us with cases and took about ten minutes, I usually drive but its the same time and no parking fees.

We are in Lichfield Staffordshire and to get the train down on the same day is virtually impossible with the timetables. Plus lugging the cases on and off is a hassle . We always drive down on the same day , allowing loads of time for delays and as majortom10 states, park up have a meal and chill .

I took the train last month and coming back on the Saturday it was packed ,fortunately we were in first class but lots of people came into first class and paid the supplement rather than stand. Our train started in Manchester and went to Southampton central, the taxi to Ocean terminal was just over a fiver for 3 of us with cases and took about ten minutes, I usually drive but its the same time and no parking fees.

In my previous job I used to travel by train frequently, this Southampton train was often overcrowded as it stopped at most of the big university towns. It's not much fun when it's standing room only with luggage, gone are the days when anyone will give up a seat for someone who may need it more.

We are going down by train tomorrow and have booked and paid for our seats in advance. We have done this twice before and find it a more relaxing start to our journey than driving :)

Same for us this coming Saturday, we also live in Lichfield and to be honest there is a train every 30 minutes from New Street direct to Southampton straight out the station to the taxi rank works for us. We just came back from Cornwall on Friday and the journey home in the car was horrendous took almost six hours with traffic and road works on the M5 :eek:

Regards.

Paul

Train for me, your holiday starts when you get on the train, we have a packed lunch with a couple of bottles of wine (small ones) driving the holiday for me doesn't start until you board the ship if you drive and it can be a frustrating/stressful journey.

Going home eat a good breakfast before leaving the ship, grab some butties and wine (yes again) at the shop and have a snooze on the train and then home.

That is my recipe for stress free travel to and from Southampton!!!