Astoria - Is this a crazy idea?

Hello!

Is it crazy to think about renting a car in Astoria and driving to Portland? I know there's a lot of cool things to do in Astoria and we'd probably try to stop by Cannon Beach either the way in or out, but being so close to Portland is super tempting....

According to google maps it's about a 2 hour drive - any idea what rush hour traffic is like?

Appreciate all your help!

Not sure if you have something particular you'd like to see in Portland. If you rent a car, I would drive down to Cannon Beach and Seaside then spend some time in Astoria, you have plenty to do in that area. You can even drive over across the bridge (on 101) to the Washington side and check out the Long Beach area and Cape Disappointment State Park. We just came back from a road trip up Oregon Coast, absolutely beautiful!

That's 4 hours of driving without any issues.

How long is your port stop? Need to be onboard at least 30 minutes beforehand. Dropping off the rental and shuttle will take at least 30 more minutes. Getting there and doing the paperwork at least another 30 minutes. Now looking at at least 5.5 hours before you get to Portland. Assuming a 9-5 port stop you'll be in Portland for 2-2.5 hours. Only you can decide if that's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What day of the week are you in Astoria. We live in Portland and it would be a bit of a risk. There are several ways to do it but if there is an accident anywhere and traffic is backed up you may be adding a lot of stress to your vacation. It may work and it might not. If you would only be in Portland for a couple of hours you will be doing a lot of driving. If your ship offers an excursion I would do it with them. When we have driven over to Astoria for the day it is pretty much an all day affair! Rush hour traffic can be awful!

Edited by mauimary

I'd do a long weekend in Portland instead. It's only a 5.5 hour drive from Vancouver, assuming no wait at the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Short version - yes, you're crazy!

Long version - we love Portland so much we bought an apartment there: +1 to doing (at least) a long weekend instead!

There's more than one sensible route but on both the roads are narrow enough that slow drivers looking at the views, RVs, and farm machinery cause tailbacks while trying to overtake - and when you do hit PDX, it depends where you're going but you will probably have at least one major bottleneck for traffic - a bridge or tunnel - that will become a serious delay any time beyond mid-afternoon. Even if you get in and out before rush hour, there's not even close to enough time to do PDX justice.

You could spend an hour queuing for Voodoo Donuts alone (usually the #1 tourist stop - frankly Blue Star knocks the pants off Voodoo, but it's also well-known enough to be very busy).

Astoria has plenty to see and do for a day - we've done this day trip in reverse, as well as longer coastal roadtrips, and unless you have a pathological hatred of beautiful coastal scenery you can easily enjoy the day cruising up & down 101 even if nothing in Astoria itself entices you...

When I drove from Portland to Seaside, it took an hour longer than what google maps showed because there were several stops due to logging and road work. There's no way around that type of stuff. I would never risk driving back and forth on a cruise ship stop.

I agree with RO Cruiser

If Astoria does not fill your needs, rent a car & go to Long Beach, Washington. It is an easy drive. If you like beaches there are 20+ miles of beach from Long Beach to Ocean Park heading north. Or drive from Long beach back to Ilwaco about 3 miles & explore the harbor & fishing fleet. From there you can go to the lighthouse at Cape Disappointment & also enjoy the state park. There are many things to do along this route. Locals are friendly & can supply you with much information.

Portland wastes too much of your valuable time for the short window you have at the port of Astoria. Further Portland is a nightmare to drive in & around. It has many one-way streets, buses only lanes, full time busy streets, busy freeways & light rail. Even the locals pick & chose the best time slots & it's still busy. To me just not worth the frustration for a couple of hours in Portland.

Happy Travels, John ( lived in Portland for 48 years )

• 2 weeks later...
For all those familiar with the area... Does someone offer a "Goonies" tour. My niece is a big fan & wanted to surprise her. Thanks.

Not to my knowledge, but the coordinates of the key sites are readily found online, so with a hire car you could DIY a tour - but personally I'd just visit the Oregon Film Museum to see the many exhibits, especially since the biggest draw (the Goonies house) is now no longer accepting visitors on the street, let alone their actual property (they went so far as to hang tarps to block views from the street at one point). It can be seen from a distance of course.

Not to my knowledge, but the coordinates of the key sites are readily found online, so with a hire car you could DIY a tour - but personally I'd just visit the Oregon Film Museum to see the many exhibits, especially since the biggest draw (the Goonies house) is now no longer accepting visitors on the street, let alone their actual property (they went so far as to hang tarps to block views from the street at one point). It can be seen from a distance of course.

Thanks for the info. We do plan on stopping at the museum.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello!

Is it crazy to think about renting a car in Astoria and driving to Portland? I know there's a lot of cool things to do in Astoria and we'd probably try to stop by Cannon Beach either the way in or out, but being so close to Portland is super tempting....

According to google maps it's about a 2 hour drive - any idea what rush hour traffic is like?

Appreciate all your help!

I'm with the others, having driven that route from Portland several times. Why not enjoy Cannon Beach (Ecola state park is beautiful and right off 101), maybe some time in Seaside, and save Portland for when you can drive down and overnight, at least? Lots to see and do in Portland!

I'm with the others, having driven that route from Portland several times. Why not enjoy Cannon Beach (Ecola state park is beautiful and right off 101), maybe some time in Seaside, and save Portland for when you can drive down and overnight, at least? Lots to see and do in Portland!

Totally agree. Oregon, unlike Washington, allows public access to its entire coastline. This makes a big difference in touring the Oregon Coast. There are many scenic viewpoints, pull-outs, trails to the beach, day use state parks, overnight state parks, beach town boardwalks, tide-pool access areas, and so on. Seaside has a great beach boardwalk, Cannon Beach is definitely a local favorite, and Fort Stevens State Park near Astoria even has an offshore historic shipwreck. The drive along coast highway 1 is a "not to miss" in touring the pacific northwest.