Anthem to New England/Canada

I booked a cruise to New England/Canada on Anthem for next June, 5 nights with a friend. Now my friend said 5 nights is too short and is thinking of going on NCL Gem instead, 7 nights for $400 more and 2 extra stops. I like new and big which is what Anthem is. So now I don't now if I should switch to the 7 day on an older, smaller ship and pay the extra $400 or stick with the Anthem. I saw there were some 9 night on Anthem but its too long for my dog to be in a kennel. :( any opinions?

I booked a cruise to New England/Canada on Anthem for next June, 5 nights with a friend. Now my friend said 5 nights is too short and is thinking of going on NCL Gem instead, 7 nights for $400 more and 2 extra stops. I like new and big which is what Anthem is. So now I don't now if I should switch to the 7 day on an older, smaller ship and pay the extra $400 or stick with the Anthem. I saw there were some 9 night on Anthem but its too long for my dog to be in a kennel. :( any opinions?

I was just gonna say Anthem does 9 day Canada/NE cruises, we just booked for late Sept. of 2017. We did a 9 day Canada/NE on Explorer and it was the greatest cruise of our lives. I LOVE history and this gives you history and more. Yes the crowd was a bit older but we loved that too. The passengers were full of history and great stories. So we loved this cruise so much we are doing it again. I also understand your problem, I HATE leaving my doggy, but he stays with my mom not a kennel so its a bit different. Good luck on choosing.

Edited by JAMESCC

We did the 5 night Bermuda itinerary on Anthem and did not think it was too short. We were able to fit in almost everything that we would ordinarily do on a 7 night cruise, so it's not like we felt deprived or gypped. Of course, a longer cruise is better, but if 5 nights is what best works into your schedule, then go for it.

It depends on what is important to you: the ship or the port stops. We have done a five day with two stops and loved the cruise but we were interested to see more of Canada and so we have followed up with several 7 day cruises to Canada which we like better. The seven day cruises took us down the Saint Lawrence River and we got to visit Montreal as well as Quebec. I would not do a five day Canadian cruise again even though it gave us a good introduction to Canada

Have you looked into places that do cageless boarding? The dog stays in a small room with a bed, TV usually, and a dutch door, no cage. They also get more attention that at the regular kennel.

My dog is not actually in a cage when I board her. She's in a small 8 x10 room with a doggie door so she can walk outside but I just feel bad being away so long. On my last cruise in April my son was available to watch her at my house and she had a seizure the second day we were gone. When she gets stressed, she has seizures so I worry about her missing me.

As for the cruise, when I go to the Caribbean I go for the ship experience because I've been to every island more than once, but for Canada since its the first time going by ship I'm leaning more towards the port experience even though Anthem sounds like fun. I did love Allure and didn't think it too big. So right now I'm going back and forth with my decision, but think I'm leaning towards the Gem for more ports.

We are doing a 9-night NE/Canada on Anthem in October, which we picked specifically for the ship. I figured the 3 sea days would give us plenty of time to check out everything there is to do on this ship. We didn't really want to go that long, since we also have 2 labs. Fortunately, I have a young adult neighbor who lives at home with her parents, and she stays at the house with them while we're gone.

Our last 4 cruises have been on NCL, and they were all fantastic. So this is definitely about the ship! I don't think I'd switch :)

My dog is not actually in a cage when I board her. She's in a small 8 x10 room with a doggie door so she can walk outside but I just feel bad being away so long. On my last cruise in April my son was available to watch her at my house and she had a seizure the second day we were gone. When she gets stressed, she has seizures so I worry about her missing me.

As for the cruise, when I go to the Caribbean I go for the ship experience because I've been to every island more than once, but for Canada since its the first time going by ship I'm leaning more towards the port experience even though Anthem sounds like fun. I did love Allure and didn't think it too big. So right now I'm going back and forth with my decision, but think I'm leaning towards the Gem for more ports.

Your a good mommy to your dog, that is very nice and I understand completely.