GTY question- room assignment final?

Lucinarei

I am sailing on the Gem next month and originally booked an Oceanview. I called a few days ago just to see how much it would be to upgrade to a balcony room and was given a complimentary upgrade to a Balcony GTY. I've never done a GTY before, but was super excited for a balcony room (never had one before!).

I was on NCL.com tonight and noticed that our cabin had been assigned. I don't know anything about it (8042), but I'm so excited for a balcony! :D Does anyone know if this is a final room assignment, or if may change? It doesn't matter either way- I just want to know if I should print out my luggage tags or if I should wait until closer to the sailing date.

Incidentally, the other couple we're traveling with called to see about an upgrade and ended up with a complimentary balcony upgrade as well (:D)- but instead of a GTY, they were immediately assigned a cabin. Anyone have any idea why we would get a GTY and they got an immediate cabin assignment? Just curious... :confused: :D

Thanks in advance for any answers! ;) Can't wait to relax near the pool!

I was on NCL.com tonight and noticed that our cabin had been assigned. I don't know anything about it (8042), but I'm so excited for a balcony! :D Does anyone know if this is a final room assignment, or if may change.

Incidentally, the other couple we're traveling with called to see about an upgrade and ended up with a complimentary balcony upgrade as well (:D)- but instead of a GTY, they were immediately assigned a cabin. Anyone have any idea why we would get a GTY and they got an immediate cabin assignment? Just curious... :confused: :D

Thanks in advance for any answers! ;) Can't wait to relax near the pool!

What type of OV cabin did you have to begin with? Was it an OX, which is an OV GTY or did you have one of the more expensive cabins that came with one of the promotions? If so, you may have been hoodwinked and you lost your UBP or UDP for the "free upgrade". If you went from an OV GTY (OX) to a balcony GTY (BX), then you made out and got a real free upgrade. The cabin assigned to you at this point, 8042 will probably be what you'll get but there is still a chance it could change because NCL retains that right to change it if they wish to.

The deal about the couple you're traveling with may have to do once again with what type of OV cabin they had. If it had one of the promos attached to it, then it's not really an upgrade to go to a BX, because you would lose your promotion.

When they give you a free upgrade, it is just random. You will most likely keep that cabin, it is possible they could change both cabins bc it was free but it is very unlikely in my experience.

OX and BX are not guarantee categories, they are just regular cabin categories that happen to be the lowest meta categories in those main categories and therefore used for GTY bookings once the real cabins in those categories are sold out.

So OX/BX does not necessarily mean the same as oceanview/balcony GTY. Any meta category can be booked as guarantee, I for one have booked OA GTY once.

OX and BX are not guarantee categories, they are just regular cabin categories that happen to be the lowest meta categories in those main categories and therefore used for GTY bookings once the real cabins in those categories are sold out.

So OX/BX does not necessarily mean the same as oceanview/balcony GTY. Any meta category can be booked as guarantee, I for one have booked OA GTY once.

While it's true that the OA GTY you had placed you in an OA category or better, when you go on NCL.com and book an IX, OX, BX or MX cabin, they all do not come with any of the current promotions and they are all GTY cabin assignments. This was just verified by two different mock bookings I just made. I think it's just a matter of semantics.

While it's true that the OA GTY you had placed you in an OA category or better, when you go on NCL.com and book an IX, OX, BX or MX cabin, they all do not come with any of the current promotions and they are all GTY cabin assignments. This was just verified by two different mock bookings I just made. I think it's just a matter of semantics.
It's not just semantics, because as you explained, if someone says they booked a "Balcony GTY", it makes a big difference under the current promotion whether they mean that they booked category BX (whose descriptive name according to NCL is "Guarantee Balcony", although in some rare cases you can book an X category and pick a specific cabin that actually belongs to that category), or if they booked a higher balcony category as a guarantee.

But in the OP's case, I'm not sure it matters, because upgrades after final payment are not generally handled as rebookings. So you don't lose the perks associated with your originally booked category, and you don't receive the perks that come with the new category.

Once they give you the actual cabin # it's pretty much final. I was able to get one changed once because we were traveling with my dad who had his own cabin & I wanted to make sure we were all at the same muster station.

But in the OP's case, I'm not sure it matters, because upgrades after final payment are not generally handled as rebookings. So you don't lose the perks associated with your originally booked category, and you don't receive the perks that come with the new category.

This seems to be the case here, as we didn't lose any of the promotions we had received when we initially booked, and we didn't gain any new promos either.

What type of OV cabin did you have to begin with? Was it an OX, which is an OV GTY or did you have one of the more expensive cabins that came with one of the promotions?

We originally had an OA booked, with the free beverage package promo. I've never booked a GTY before, which is why I was curious about how it worked. Seems like the room we have been assigned will be the room we get- which is great! :) The couple we are traveling with also booked an OA cabin (they were originally next to us in a connecting room), but they booked a few months after we did- don't know if that made a difference. Either way, I'm happy. I've never been in a balcony cabin before, so this is exciting! :)

Once they give you the actual cabin # it's pretty much final. I was able to get one changed once because we were traveling with my dad who had his own cabin & I wanted to make sure we were all at the same muster station.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Lucinarei