Ideas for Split and Kotor

We are booked on a cruise that has the above referenced ports of call. Any ideas of things to do on these port days? Any recommendations of tour companies would be great too as we have never been to these ports.

TIA.

Kim

We are booked on a cruise that has the above referenced ports of call. Any ideas of things to do on these port days? Any recommendations of tour companies would be great too as we have never been to these ports.

TIA.

Kim

We did a tour to Krka National Park, breathtaking. We had enough time when we returned to walk around the town. Check out photos on Trip Advisor. I think we did a ships tour, but I am sure there are some private tours.

TIA.

Kim

We stop in Kotor in August (0830-2300) so we have plenty of time. Rather than the free excursion Viking is offering, we're using a local company to Perast & Our Lady of the Rocks, walking tour of Kotor and then a drive up Mt Lovcen (27 switchbacks on the road!). 10 hr tour - reasonably priced.

Hi, Kotor port- old town is beautiful. To explore old town you need at least an hour and half but I have suggest you to take a private tour and visit Budva old town, Perast town and others spots most see in Montenegro. I can recommend http://www.monttravelers.com as a one of the best company there. Hope you will enjoy. Cheers!

I agree with the recommendation Toured with them last year for a half day tour. Very friendly, great English, considerate and knowledgeable. Very reasonable! Lots of photo opps too!

Will be using them again next spring!

If you want to explore outside of Kotor than you will definitely need a guide/taxi. If you choose the guide/taxi route then I would recommend Milo from toursbymilo.com. Milo will provide you with that added touch and not much more than the cost of a taxi.

We used him as well as numerous friends and family.

He is truly passionate about his Country and very knowledgeable.

http://www.toursbymilo.com

Frank

TIA.

Kim

Hi Kim

We just did this at those lovely ports. If you want to go into Diocletian's Palace (Split) you'll need a bit of local currrency from the bureau de change just outside it, and walking up to the fort (Kotor) costs about €3. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DzbACT0KV-M[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]fUzQl8KA2Uk[/YOUTUBE]

Split is a charming city and it is very easy to do on your own. The old city is entirely built within the walls of the "retirement palace" of a Roman Emperor, from around 300 AD. You can still visit several buildings that were part of the palace, as well as their basements, which give you a good idea of the structure. You can do all this on your own or take one of the walking tours that start periodically in the courtyard area.

You can also walk around the entire old city and see the Roman walls and gates, all still existing. There is also an archaeological museum.

It's also a nice place to grab a lunch al fresco at one of the many restaurants and just people watch, or do a little shopping.

Finally, the palace sits right on the water, but there is a narrow strip in front where there are many open air bars with tables -- good views and good place to grab an aperitif or glass of wine before heading back to the ship.