Using Carnival Gift Cards

RumpunchGirl

You didn't have to join AARP to get the gift cards.

I'll post when I see the cards come up. :)

Oh, well, it will be useful in other ways.:)But, The cards were up for the last 3 days. My question was really, just to ask if they take them on and off. If they do, then I should buy more while I have the chance.:confused:

Oh, well, it will be useful in other ways.:)But, The cards were up for the last 3 days. My question was really, just to ask if they take them on and off. If they do, then I should buy more while I have the chance.:confused:

I just found out the answer to my own question. I went back to the site and they are no longer available. Drats! I would have gotten more if I had realized it was a limited time frame.:(

I just went to my Verizon account to check out these gift cards, had never heard of them before, and both the 100 and 500 cards show sold out. Is this something they do periodically or do you just have to be lucky enough to see it before everyone else does?

I'd like to know the same thing. I've seen the discounted cards on the Verizon rewards site and AARP. In both cases they were sold out. It just bought a gift card at full price at Lowes (hardware).

I just found out the answer to my own question. I went back to the site and they are no longer available. Drats! I would have gotten more if I had realized it was a limited time frame.:(

I'd like to know the same thing. I've seen the discounted cards on the Verizon rewards site and AARP. In both cases they were sold out. It just bought a gift card at full price at Lowes (hardware).

The cards will be back. I plan on buying more myself.

Just check the site occasionally. Good luck!

There are threads for both the Verizon and AARP gift cards. If you subscribe to them, someone is normally good enough to post when they become available.

They are available until they are sold out and there is no predicting when they become available. I have noticed that over the last few months or so, they will become available every couple of week (give or take a few days).

As for the kiosks, I've never, ever been able to apply them there. I've tried on every cruise since I started purchasing them: Freedom, Conquest, Splendor, Sunshine, and Vista.

When it doesn't work (either by swiping or trying to key in that long string of numbers), I've gone to the service desk and had them applied. When I tell them I tried to use the kiosk, I've been told that it doesn't work.

Maybe I've just been on the wrong ships, but it has never worked for me and it's frustrating to stand there swiping and typing in those numbers multiple times only to have it refuse to take them.

At least I'm Platinum and don't have to waste much more time standing in a long line.

There are very long threads about the Verizon and AARP cards. Someone always updates those when they're available (they sell out very quickly). Subscribe to those and you should see when they're available and may be able to get some at a discount. I can also purchase full-price at my Kroger and get big fuel points, so I've done that when I needed one quickly.

Since the money was already spent, like the others, I went ahead and paid off my 2017 cruise. I is nice to go every now and then and check my cruise manager and see "paid in full" in the amount due section. Also like NCTribeFan I have kept several to apply to my SS card. I did think ahead and drew a line across the ones I applied with magic marker to keep from trying to use them. Not even sure why I am saving them though. Just habit I guess.

I was told to save the cards, if something happened they would credit back to the cards that were used.

I have and will use Gift Cards. You have to remember that if you plan to use them on the ship, use them as payment asap. All the lines have a minimum $$ amount that once your bill reaches that $$, they automatically send it to your credit card that you give them when you board. Used to be $500 on Carnival. I asked elsewhere, anyone know of a source for NCL gift cards?

I was told to save the cards, if something happened they would credit back to the cards that were used.

Not true. The cards are not reloadable, so that can't do that. They will refund with a new card.

I was told the same thing as jandjtexas.

I was told the same thing as jandjtexas.

I know that they are saying this. In fact, my PVP told me the same thing when I had to cancel DD from our cruise last year. What they are trained to say is "it will be refunded back to the card you used to make the reservation." What that phrase is referring to is a credit card.

Here is the language from Carnival's website:

https://www.carnivalgiftcards.com/FAQ.aspx

Q: What happens when the total card value is used? Should I throw the card away?

A: Once you run out of funds on the Carnival gift card, you may not add additional funds. The card may then be discarded.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account

Carnival Gift Card: If the guest uses a Carnival Gift Card for their Sail & Sign deposit, any refundable overages will be refunded in the form of a new Carnival Gift Card.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/~/carnival-gift-cards---frequently-asked-questions

Q: Can I add funds to my Carnival Gift Card online?

A: You may not add funds to your gift card online as the gift card is not reloadable.

Q: What happens if I cancel my cruise which was paid with a Carnival Gift Card? How do I get refunded?

A: If the booking is cancelled, the refund will be processed and a new gift card will be issued. The new gift card will be sent to the address listed on the booking profile. If the booking was made through a travel agency, it will be mailed to the travel agency listed on the booking profile. This is an automated process - allow 5-10 business days to receive the new gift card.

I don't see what the big deal is just to hang onto the cards until the trip is over.

I cancelled an excursion purchased with gift cards. Something I've done a few times before. With this one instance, I kept waiting for the refunded gift card. Finally my TA asked me if I had the card used to purchase it and if so, to check the balance. Sure enough, the money had been put back on that card.

So just keep them just in case something quirky happens. And write down what you use them for.

I have and will use Gift Cards. You have to remember that if you plan to use them on the ship, use them as payment asap. All the lines have a minimum $$ amount that once your bill reaches that $$, they automatically send it to your credit card that you give them when you board. Used to be $500 on Carnival. I asked elsewhere, anyone know of a source for NCL gift cards?

If you have both credit cards and gift cards funding your S&S, then the gift cards will be used first. This is what I was told was the order in how they determine which funds are used first.

Non-refundable obc

refundable obc

gift cards

cash

credit cards