group discounts...

honeymoon4ever

So, when I booked with my travel agent, I asked about group booking rates and discounts. He told me that we would have to have eight cabins booked in a group before we received any type of perks.

I called Princess about something else, just happened to ask about group rates, and the girl on the phone mentioned something about having five cabins booked for a group discount.

I am confused. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject, or send me a link where I might find more info?

I have looked into this extensively. We are people who find awesome deals on our cruises and the deals are ALWAYS better than the group rate. I don't think there is much of a discount.

We booked 5 cabins on our upcoming cruise and there was no special perk and the booking agent told us that we would pay more if we went with the group rate. I called Princess myself and verified that this was indeed the case.

We are people who find awesome deals on our cruises and the deals are ALWAYS better than the group rate.

Would you mind starting a new thread as to how you find good deals? My DH and I are really just entering the "traveling portion" of our lives, and are kind of ignorant to the tips and tricks of more seasoned travelers. I suppose it all starts with a good travel agent.

We have a family of 16 going on a cruise in January (four families, 2 adult, 2 teens each). We booked with Princess and set up a group booking. The 16th passenger is free. So at 2 per cabin that would be eight cabins, exactly as your TA said. Everyone pays for their cruises like normal. Then once everyone has paid, Princess finds the lowest fare, in our case an inside for $669, and they credit that back. I asked for it to be divided as a shipboard credit among the four adult cabins. It's not the deepest discount in the world, but it's decent. We weren't originally planning on a discount at all, but every family was happy getting $167 back.

I have looked into this extensively. We are people who find awesome deals on our cruises and the deals are ALWAYS better than the group rate. I don't think there is much of a discount.

We booked 5 cabins on our upcoming cruise and there was no special perk and the booking agent told us that we would pay more if we went with the group rate. I called Princess myself and verified that this was indeed the case.

For a standard 7 night Caribbean, Mexico, or Alaska cruise it will be rare to find the cruise line offering minimum group sizes of less than eight cabins to get any additional perks.

But on longer sailings, for example a 14 night Baltic sailing, it's not unusual to find minimum group sizes of 5 cabins.

I would love to share the information on how we get great rates. I think it is against the rules of this board to promote it here.

I will tell you that last year we booked 8 people on NCL Spirit- 2 insides, 1 balcony and it cost us $3500 total.

This year our deal was not as impressive but we are still happy with it. We are on the princess star- 7 nights. Inside is about $525 a person (average PP, quad room) and our balcony is about $900 pp total. (with taxes and port charges)

A quick internet search of "cheap cruises" will bring up a number of online sites that can help.

Guest Host Tink
You could also consider setting up a CC group cruise. They offer very competive rates with some perks. People join or don't join the activities as desired.

This is an excellent idea and I can help point you in the right direction. :-) :D

Guest Host Tink
You could also consider setting up a CC group cruise. They offer very competive rates with some perks. People join or don't join the activities as desired.

This is a great idea and I can vouch for the good prices. If you want more info, let me know!

:D :D

Guest Host Tink

This is a great idea and I can vouch for the good prices. If you want more info, let me know!

:D :D

• 1 month later...

I seem to see the same results just by looking at some of the CC Group cruises and the prices available I have gone and found prices equal to or slightly better then the group rate although the group rate may come with some added perks. I think I know the Online agent(s) the above poster is referring to in their later post but would also like to know for sure.

So, when I booked with my travel agent, I asked about group booking rates and discounts. He told me that we would have to have eight cabins booked in a group before we received any type of perks.

I called Princess about something else, just happened to ask about group rates, and the girl on the phone mentioned something about having five cabins booked for a group discount.

I am confused. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject, or send me a link where I might find more info?

This can vary, in most cases 8-cabins or 16 full paying passenger and one bert is free. Depending on the sailing and cruise line they may reduce this number to 6 or 5 cabins. Its like anything else, if bookings are light the cruise line will offer incentives such as 5 cabins making a group.

In general the group discount, if any at all is very little usually around $50.00. The perks themselves also vary depending on sailing and how good booking are going. What the cruise lines do is give a number of points for the group depending on date and ship. The points are used for perks, for example 2 points used for a cocktail party. They supply a whole list of perks and the number of points needed for each perk.

Archived