Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

can you tell me if Norwegian provides a liter size bottle of water in the rooms, and if so, what the cost is? or do I have to purchase a larger amount at high prices. I have mostly cruised Carnival in the last 16 years, and appreciated them lowering the cost of their bottled water when they banned brining it on.

Thanks

I haven't cruised since the fall but there has always been a large bottle in the room with a little tag on it with the price-3.50 maybe?

Just got my " Important Information from Norwegian Cruise Line regarding Beverage Policy " . Thanks NCL .

Hey man... people that smuggle alcohol on board (successfully) don't do it using soda and water bottles.

Your argument is without merit.

The argument is even more foolish when you consider how many have the "free" drink package . No need to smuggle .

I also noticed how Doughboy mentioned bottled but not canned drinks . If it was just about preventing smuggling , bottles could be banned not cans .

Love how some always blame those getting hosed instead of the hosers .

Edited by richstowe

This will impact my willingness and interest in cruising with NCL. We have booked our first (and now our last) cruise with them leaving in 1 month. My husband is a Coke Zero drinker and a Red Bull and Vodka drinker. I am a bottled water drinker with a strong brand preference. I'll admit to being pretty picky about bottled water. I know we can buy Red Bull on the ship, but they charge almost $5 PER CAN. That's prohibitive. We cannot buy Coke products on the ship. I haven't found the pricing for the water online yet, but what I've seen in this thread shows that price to be absolutely ridiculous. If it wasn't too late to change, we would cancel and book with another line. I booked based on the dates we had available and the itinerary to Alaska. However, in looking at other cruise lines, I agree with some of the other posters that NCL has a LOT of extra fees that other lines don't charge. All of these things will factor into our decision making process in the future. Hopefully, they are listening to what the people who are paying to travel with them are saying.

:mad:DYou nickel and Dime'n again??? Time to move on. Nine trips on NCL to the Bahamas and Bermuda in 8 years? Champagne welcome on board, Gone, Chocolate Buffet, Gone, Lobster, gone. Now your telling me I can't bring my Diet Gosling's Ginger Beer on board, and my wife can't bring water?? The straw that broke the Camels Back. All the little thing's that made a big difference, Gone. All the extra money your saving I would like to see it put into hiring certified Life guards. Hello MSC. :D

, but I swell like crazy on a ship, whereas I do not on vacations to other hot weather destinations. There is definitely a difference. I used to be on the "drink the water from the tap" side of the argument, but no longer.

This is me also...!!!!:eek:

NCL needs a reality check on what they are. I understand they now think they want to be a luxury line and want to chase away the cost conscious cruisers. NCL at it's best can hope to compete with RC. Beyond that, not a chance.

This move certainly fits with that theme. Especially given the outrageous pricing of bottled water from NCL.

Also seems to me as a future first time NCL cruiser that they are in conflict with their goals. The entire reason I booked with them WAS the value they offered. They were considerably cheaper than comparable lengthy and itinerary sailings from RC and CCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG just saw this thread sorry I don't have time to read back right now. I always bring caffeine free diet coke now I can' bring this???Do they even have caffeine free diet pepsi ugh? Is there a email anyone can share where I can voice my complaint? I still have plenty of time to cancel my NCL cruise I may just do that and go back to other lines that will allow this.

Simple:-

Take an empty plastic bottle each on board at embarkation

Fill up each morning before you go ashore

Drink during the day

Empty any excess down a drain before re-boarding

Take the bottle back on board

Repeat daily till debarkation

That doesn't work well for people drinking carbonated water/drinks.

You can certainly put your vodka in a water bottle or your rum in a coke bottle of you like. You will be caught.

It doesn't matter anyway. This change in policy has nothing to do with a handful of people smuggling booze.

It has a little to do with smuggling as NCL basically claims it is spending too many resources screening bottles for it. I would be fine with a bottle ban if they either make the UBP cover water bottles (both still and carbonated) or provide it at a reasonably price. I personally don't care about the soda but have a die-hard Coke brother who brought a case on our last cruise. So I can't see how cans will slow the scanning too much - until people start to hide beer in the case of soda cans. That doesn't seem too big of a concession. Then all they would have to check in "security" is cans of non-Pepsi products. Otherwise, if the policy stands without change it is a money grab.

OMG just saw this thread sorry I don't have time to read back right now. I always bring caffeine free diet coke now I can' bring this???Do they even have caffeine free diet pepsi ugh? Is there a email anyone can share where I can voice my complaint? I still have plenty of time to cancel my NCL cruise I may just do that and go back to other lines that will allow this.

Here you go...

(Our email has already been sent. Tweets will be later!)

In light of the "no more soda/water allowed to be brought on", I wanted to comment about complaints.

IMO, complaining among ourselves will not do much good; yes, venting may help a bit. I donWhat happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.'t believe that NCL will the read hundreds of posts about the new carry on policy. They know it won't be popular and are expecting backlash.

I am of the belief that energy/time would be better spent taking your opinions to social media and contacting NCL. Facebook, Twitter, email, and snail mail are some options. Andy Stuart has a Twitter account: AndyStuart@nclandy. NCL is on Facebook with many followers.

I have contacted the woman listed below before with some concerns. She may suggest a better contact for your complaints or questions.

One thing I don't do is embellish, dramatize, exaggerate, nor threaten to leave NCL. Threatening, IMO, is counterproductive almost as bad as cursing!

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

There is a consumer advocate type website done by Christopher Elliot that has a wealth of info regarding complaints. There is even contact in for NCL. Google is your friend.

Whilst I agree that this change isn't great and I agree the NCL reasponse is a joke.

Some of the CC posters need to take a lie down. [emoji23].

'Soda fix'

'If I could cancel I would'

'Enough is enough'

Talk about drama. It's a vacation. Who decides what vacation to go on based on whether or. It they can take some bottles of water with them?

Edited by NCLfamily

Whilst I agree that this change isn't great and I agree the NCL reasponse is a joke.

'Soda fix'

'Enough is enough'

Talk about drama. It's a vacation. Who decides what vacation to go on based on whether or. It they can take some bottles of water with them?

Rose colored blinders on?

The soda/water carry on is one part of a larger problem. Go back and read the thread.

Hi All,

Since we cant bring any bottled water on our cruise with NCL effective 7/15/16 sailings.....is Bottled water now going to be included in the UBP? or is NCL going to just reduce the price of a case of water from $78.00 down to the normal $2.99 per case?

Maybe this FDR decision was started to alleviate the passengers from having to travel with or buy our own cases of water at the ports...maybe NCL is looking out for us as weary tired travelers and are happy to take this burden off of our plate...im sure there is NO financial motivation whatsoever...

They should increase there helicopter pads on the ships due to people dying of dehydration cause they dont want to pay $78.00 for a case of water...more older people will be visiting the infirmary...this is a sad day for NCL past passengers...

NCL has received so much slack for the nickel and dime. It's stuff like having an Ultimate BEVERAGE Package and then realizing that you don't even get a bottle of water with it that lends to the label. It really is misleading to call it the UBP and should be renamed the Ultimate alcohol and fountain soda package. Reading posts about how a person can't even get a non alcoholic version of a coffee alcoholic beverage seems absurd.

I don't even care if they increase the UBP package by a considerable amount per day to make up for the additions. Including water bottles and specialty coffees at minimum. To be in line with other programs it should also include canned soda.

I'm really hoping that is the next change and is announced soon.

I just do not understand NCL thinking....!

How can a "ultimate beverage package"....NCL named it....NOT include bottled water....expresso/ Lattes at a $ value like $78 a day

Then it Not be part of the kids "soda package" program.....? Children should just drink fountain soda for a week in the heat, sun etc.

Now as of July 15th you can not even bring your own now on board....But you can buy a case of liters for $70! Yikes

This is extremely unhealthy and dangerous....the medical staff better get ready for Many more patients....Passengers will think they can just keep drinking alcohol....and become so dehydrated they pass out all over the ship....

I have been on about 57 cruises and counting and thought we would come back to NCL again but after paying the price we did...then add the tips.... then this nonsense I feel we are heading back to a couple other cruise lines......

I look to enjoy a vacation which we will I'm sure but these issues are causing some of the fun and excitement to be taking over with frustration.

Just my 2 cents on the subject....Bon Voyage....!

'Soda fix'

'Enough is enough'

It's the principle of it, for me. I prefer bottled water; I have a brand preference, but I'll drink other brands. I don't mind paying for bottled water (I would pay for what I brought on the ship), but I do mind paying $40 for 12 bottles of water. In addition, my husband is not a coffee drinker. He is a Coke Zero drinker. He doesn't care for Pepsi products. We made these plans and spent a lot of money thinking we were going to be able to have what we like on vacation. Now we are a month out and we are learning that we can't. It's irritating. Will it ruin our vacation? No. But it'll make us think twice about where we book next time.

It's the principle of it, for me. I prefer bottled water; I have a brand preference, but I'll drink other brands. I don't mind paying for bottled water (I would pay for what I brought on the ship), but I do mind paying $40 for 12 bottles of water. In addition, my husband is not a coffee drinker. He is a Coke Zero drinker. He doesn't care for Pepsi products. We made these plans and spent a lot of money thinking we were going to be able to have what we like on vacation. Now we are a month out and we are learning that we can't. It's irritating. Will it ruin our vacation? No. But it'll make us think twice about where we book next time.

I have just drank 1l of bottled water before bed, so I get it. I prefer bottled. But I don't even consider taking it on a ship, but I get that others might want to.

So I understand that it might annoy those who would. But if that's what makes you consider sailing this cruise line next time, then there must be other things at play.

My post was more about the typical CC reaction to any change.

Like NCL making a change any time they feel, we can simply bombard NCL with complaints on Twitter and Facebook, all their social media sites.

Maybe they will realize how important this issue is to their fellow cruisers and listen to our needs.

Just like when they reversed bringing food to your cabin.

Power of the voice!!!

Out of all the cruise lines I have sailed on NCL so far is the worst...I doubt very much I will cruise again with them after my Nov cruise. :cool:

At least when Carnival did this, they made 12pk's of 1 liter water bottles affordable at $2.99 if purchased prior to cruise or still a very reasonable $4.99 if ordered once onboard. Dumb move NCL.[emoji857][emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just do not understand NCL thinking....!

How can a "ultimate beverage package"....NCL named it....NOT include bottled water....expresso/ Lattes at a $ value like $78 a day

Then it Not be part of the kids "soda package" program.....? Children should just drink fountain soda for a week in the heat, sun etc.

Now as of July 15th you can not even bring your own now on board....But you can buy a case of liters for $70! Yikes

This is extremely unhealthy and dangerous....the medical staff better get ready for Many more patients....Passengers will think they can just keep drinking alcohol....and become so dehydrated they pass out all over the ship....

I have been on about 57 cruises and counting and thought we would come back to NCL again but after paying the price we did...then add the tips.... then this nonsense I feel we are heading back to a couple other cruise lines......

I look to enjoy a vacation which we will I'm sure but these issues are causing some of the fun and excitement to be taking over with frustration.

Just my 2 cents on the subject....Bon Voyage....!

Totally disagree with you post. People need to have self control to avoid dehydration. However, water is available all over the ship for free. In the buffet, at any bar, restaurants or stateroom. You can still bring a sports bottle and keep it filled. So I really don't understand why its a detriment to the passengers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My post was more about the typical CC reaction to any change.

When NCL makes a change that's in the customer's favor (hell even a neutral change), then look for a different reaction. With the years of fare increases, fee increases, and take-aways, and cut-backs, what reaction do you expect?

It seems you, and many others, are intent on ignoring the big picture and would rather focus on a bottle of water.

All cruise lines have fare increases, sure. But only NCL makes sweeping policy changes 14 days before sailing... WELL BEYOND final payment. Once again, what was promised when final payment was made is not what is going to be delivered.

Edited by triptolemus

Please come back and let us know how you made out with the request for a refund.

I'm not asking for a refund....you just made that up

My suggestion is that if a holder of a cruise next doesn't like the changes that they should ask for a refund

If every cruise next holder asked....I.e. Demanded a refund then Ncl must listen up

If someone holds a cert and is unhappy with the changes...being a holder of the cert and asking g for a refund is just ammo

Btw if you buy a cert you do have 30 days to cancel it

If you charged it more than 30 days ago you can dispute it on your credit card....why you ask? Because it's not the same product anymore. You bought that cert under a certain set of rules....and now Ncl has changed those rules

I know posters live to be warm and fuzzy....but seriously....don't confuse that with being walked all over

If the water thing is that important to you and you hold certs....then use that to your benefit and demand a refund or dispute your credit card....

You will win....because Ncl is not delivering on their promise

Of course the Ncl email does pull the safety and security of our pax thing....probably to cover them from pax wanting refunds....so to that my argument would be....

Well Ncl since you so apparantly have safety concerns....well so do I...and therefore do not want to cruise your ships due to these concerns that you have now communicated to me and I expect you to honor my request for a refund due to yours as well as my safety and security concerns

While it might not work after final payment it should be enough of a valid argument for them refunding your certs if they were bought more than 30 days ago

Just fight fire with fire and play the same game with Ncl that they play with their pax

Of course we all know this water thing has nothing to do with safety....if it did it would be in effect immediately not 2 weeks from

Now

Edited by luvtheships