Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

But will the Brita Filter kill any viruses/bacteria that may be introduced to the water by people placing dirty bottles against the dispenser spout? If so then this will work for many as an alternate, but if not it's a "no go" for me!

you could always use ask a bartender to get you water in a plastic cup and pour in. It's the most sanitary way to do it no matter what water bottle you have. You're always going to have SOME risk of viruses/bacteria, even with the bartender pouring you the water in a plastic cup, but to me, for those who need filtered water instead of tap and don't want to pay a lot for bottled water, this is what I would do - I love that the bottle has lines to tell you how much water you have drank as well - really helps with my hydration. And I like it because it fits in the side of my cruise backpack really good, the water bottles were always kind of precarious because they were really too small to go in there.

Edited by aubreyc1988

you could always use ask a bartender to get you water in a plastic cup and pour in. It's the most sanitary way to do it no matter what water bottle you have. You're always going to have SOME risk of viruses/bacteria, even with the bartender pouring you the water in a plastic cup, but to me, for those who need filtered water instead of tap and don't want to pay a lot for bottled water, this is what I would do - I love that the bottle has lines to tell you how much water you have drank as well - really helps with my hydration. And I like it because it fits in the side of my cruise backpack really good, the water bottles were always kind of precarious because they were really too small to go in there.

On the Escape last fall I was snapped at by more than one bartender with either a "go to the buffet and get it" or "you'll have to wait" when asking for a cup of water. In several instances my request was unfulfilled and I was roundly ignored. On that cruise I had a beverage package that I PAID FOR, inclusive of an 18% tip, so it wasn't like I was trying to freeload. I don't drink pop, and don't want alcohol 24/7. The convenience of bottled water helps avoid the surly bartender issue as well as the potentially virus ridden buffet water dispenser issue. I typically avoid the buffet in general as to me it is the prime breeding ground for the spread of Norwalk type viruses.

On the Escape last fall I was snapped at by more than one bartender with either a "go to the buffet and get it" or "you'll have to wait" when asking for a cup of water. In several instances my request was unfulfilled and I was roundly ignored. On that cruise I had a beverage package that I PAID FOR, inclusive of an 18% tip, so it wasn't like I was trying to freeload. I don't drink pop, and don't want alcohol 24/7. The convenience of bottled water helps avoid the surly bartender issue as well as the potentially virus ridden buffet water dispenser issue. I typically avoid the buffet in general as to me it is the prime breeding ground for the spread of Norwalk type viruses.

WOW, that is just crazy! I got the BEST bar service ever on the Escape, EVERY SINGLE BARTENDER was amazing about making sure I always had a glass of water when I wanted it.

I guess you could take a buffet cup, hold it with a napkin, fill it up, and then pour it in waterbottle. But to be perfectly honest, the water station at the buffet isn't your biggest concern. It's what people do when getting out of the bathroom without washing their hands...the things I have SEEN! Now I just washy washy a bunch and pray to the Sanitary Gods I don't get Noro. So far, that has worked for me.

Cruiselines, airlines, sporting events , theatre's ALL only carry limited brands/packages.

You don't think people have to adjust then?

Cruise = 7+ days (vacation)

Airline = 1 - 4 hours (not a vacation)

Event = 2 - 5 hours (not a vacation)

Theatre = 2.5 hours (not a vacation)

One of these things is not like the other for more than one reason.

Edited by triptolemus

We are talking 1 weeks vacation! Calculating it to a year shouldn't/doesn't even belong in the picture.

Also don't think the majority of people can afford to spend over 100,000 to cruise a year, which is exactly what your statement would equate to.

My statement only refers to the price of the booze. Don't be silly.

4 beers. 94 dollars. yea :confused::confused:

If a person only has 4 beers in 1 week on a cruise they shouldn't have UBP. There are other perks to choose from.

And for those that do take it and drink so little NCL thanks you!

On the Escape last fall I was snapped at by more than one bartender with either a "go to the buffet and get it" or "you'll have to wait" when asking for a cup of water. In several instances my request was unfulfilled and I was roundly ignored.

I imagine my wife going 0 to 60 in about 1 second flat if she were spoken to like that, if you know what I'm saying. Heaven help that bartender...

Cruise = 7+ days (vacation)

Airline = 1 - 4 hours (not a vacation)

Event = 2 - 5 hours (not a vacation)

Theatre = 2.5 hours (not a vacation)

One of these things is not like the other for more than one reason.

True but space isn't unlimited on a cruise ship to carry everyone's preferred brand either, and that is the same as all the others.

I'm not exactly sure how the ship's cargo capacity relates to folks carrying on their own crap (the subject of the thread) but...whatever.

It's relative to people wanting to carryon "Their" brand of things. And NCL carrying on X,y,z brands.

True but space isn't unlimited on a cruise ship to carry everyone's preferred brand either, and that is the same as all the others.

it's less about space and more about logistics, existing contracts, pricing, etc. You can't please everyone.

My statement only refers to the price of the booze. Don't be silly.

I love when people use math to prove a point and then when someone rebuts them with the same kind of math they shrug it off as not applicable.

If you think the 18% tipping fee is too much then don't get the UBP. It's as simple as that. If we weren't required to pay the 18% upfront I bet a bunch of people would actually spend more than ~$94/person tipping for alcohol over a weeklong cruise. I guess I'm in the minority that I tip my bartenders when I'm on shore... I know I'll drink way more than $94 worth of booze over a week long cruise so it's a no-brainer.

WOW, that is just crazy! I got the BEST bar service ever on the Escape, EVERY SINGLE BARTENDER was amazing about making sure I always had a glass of water when I wanted it.

I guess you could take a buffet cup, hold it with a napkin, fill it up, and then pour it in waterbottle. But to be perfectly honest, the water station at the buffet isn't your biggest concern. It's what people do when getting out of the bathroom without washing their hands...the things I have SEEN! Now I just washy washy a bunch and pray to the Sanitary Gods I don't get Noro. So far, that has worked for me.

I was on the transatlantic from Southampton to Miami and many of the bartenders seemed less than thrilled to be there, not sure why.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I love when people use math to prove a point and then when someone rebuts them with the same kind of math they shrug it off as not applicable.

If you think the 18% tipping fee is too much then don't get the UBP. It's as simple as that. If we weren't required to pay the 18% upfront I bet a bunch of people would actually spend more than ~$94/person tipping for alcohol over a weeklong cruise. I guess I'm in the minority that I tip my bartenders when I'm on shore... I know I'll drink way more than $94 worth of booze over a week long cruise so it's a no-brainer.

Not sure how you attribute that quote to me. Actually that was stated by Swedish weave.

I'm agree 100% with what you stated!

But will the Brita Filter kill any viruses/bacteria that may be introduced to the water by people placing dirty bottles against the dispenser spout? If so then this will work for many as an alternate, but if not it's a "no go" for me!

If you want safe water....turn it into beer.

That's how we make water safe AND tasty.

Not sure how you attribute that quote to me. Actually that was stated by Swedish weave.

I'm agree 100% with what you stated!

It didn't copy like I was hoping it would. I meant that he tried to assume that everyone spends money on alcohol every week like on a cruise. Then you threw down the $100k number like everyone would spend every year as a rebuttal. I agree with you that it's a valid argument and that it's dumb to assume that it equals out to ~$5K a year.

Not only is Norwegian willing to risk the health of it's passengers with this new ban on bringing onboard water bottles, it's greedy practices putting the health of it's "guests" in peril, will probably affect it's stock price once Congress reacts to it's poor health practices.

As someone has previously posted: penny wise, pound foolish. Bravo, Norwegian!