check In Time Vs Boarding Time in Miami

TwoDogs-niw

The online check in allows you to choose slots as early as 10:00. But if I am correct that is just to check in not to actually board. Boarding starts at some time later once the ship is preped enough to allow boarding.

About what time does boarding typically start? Why would you want to check in at 10 if boarding does not start til much later? Does it become a first come first served type of deal for those with no early boarding privileges?

This is our first cruise so I am just trying to figure out a good check in time.

Thanks....9 days & counting....

You are correct in that is does become a first come /first board.

The first passengers to board will be the wedding parties

Then diamond level guest, platinum level , FTTF (faster to the fun) and suites.

Everyone else is provided with a boarding zone number. So if you check in at 10am you will get a lower=earlier number than someone that checks in at 11am.

Have a wonderful cruise

Barring any delays with Customs, boarding typically starts somewhere between 10:30 - 11:00. So, if you have a check-in time of 10:00, you would have approximately a 1/2 an hour to an hour wait before boarding begins. The time you and your travel companions would actually board would depend on what boarding zone number you get, but I would think you'd be on board somewhere between 11:00 - 11:30. While you're sitting at the terminal waiting to board, you could sing the Carly Simon song "Anticipation".

"Anticipation, Anticipation

is making me late

is keeping me waiting." :D:D:D

Have a great cruise!

It's hard to predict what time actual boarding starts. Normally it should start between 11 and 12. First off, the ship has to return on time which they usually do but have been delayed for one reason or another. The ship has to be cleared by customs before any of the previous passengers can get off. Then you have to wait for all of the passengers to get off before they will let any new passengers on. Sometimes there are stragglers that delay the ship being cleared for the next cruise. There have even been times when things like computer glitches or power outages have delayed boarding.

Our last cruise out of Miami we checked in at 10:30, but never boarded until 1:30pm. The people at VIP check in had no clue what the hold up was. When they finally called for boarding, they had one woman there to control the crowd. She had no control and many Plats and Diamonds were shoved aside by people with high boarding numbers who had gone upstairs and were clogging the aisles. We are avoiding Miami, except to sail MSC.

She had no control and many Plats and Diamonds were shoved aside by people with high boarding numbers who had gone upstairs and were clogging the aisles. MSC.

Yep the later the boarding time the less people adhere to the levels/zones. Nobody checks what zone you're in on any of the cruises I've been on so its kind of the honor system which breaks down the longer people have to wait.

Yep the later the boarding time the less people adhere to the levels/zones. Nobody checks what zone you're in on any of the cruises I've been on so its kind of the honor system which breaks down the longer people have to wait.

Have you actually been at any of the ports that actually are utilizing the staggered check ins? I find it a little hard to believe that at noon for example if someone has a 1pm check in time they don't care and just let them in.

Have you actually been at any of the ports that actually are utilizing the staggered check ins? I find it a little hard to believe that at noon for example if someone has a 1pm check in time they don't care and just let them in.

Oh the staggered check in times are being enforced from what i've seen/heard, I was referring to the actual boarding when they start calling the zones. That becomes a madhouse imo.

And to the OP about why people show up at 10am - People pick early check-ins because they fly/drive in and don't have anything better to do. I know I've flown in on super early flights and I can sit at the airport or sit at the cruise terminal so I pick the early checkins.

They can't let people start boarding until everyone from the previous cruise is OFF the ship. When we sailed out of Miami on the Glory last summer, it seemed like people didnt' want to get off... we saw people still getting off at 11am. No kidding, just when we saw the last group, there would be another group coming walking down the ramp. They must have been hiding all over the ship and crew was having to round them up to throw them off. I don't think they let anyone get on before noon. Luckily, we were in group 1, but that meant we had been sitting there in lobby for 2 hours waiting.

Our last cruise out of Miami we checked in at 10:30, but never boarded until 1:30pm. The people at VIP check in had no clue what the hold up was. When they finally called for boarding, they had one woman there to control the crowd. She had no control and many Plats and Diamonds were shoved aside by people with high boarding numbers who had gone upstairs and were clogging the aisles. We are avoiding Miami, except to sail MSC.

The same thing happened to us this past January. We were in the Captain's Lounge waiting to board. When a woman came to take us to board the ship a whole bunch of other people joined us and nobody stopped them. Chaos!

No one really can say because each cruise is different, but Carnival has gotten rid of so many check in employees that it is a big giant cluster for sure. I wouldn't arrive much before noon; just pick a check in in that range and you shouldn't wait too long.

The online check in allows you to choose slots as early as 10:00. But if I am correct that is just to check in not to actually board. Boarding starts at some time later once the ship is preped enough to allow boarding.

About what time does boarding typically start? Why would you want to check in at 10 if boarding does not start til much later? Does it become a first come first served type of deal for those with no early boarding privileges?

This is our first cruise so I am just trying to figure out a good check in time.

Thanks....9 days & counting....

The earlier you check in the earlier you board the ship.

The earlier you check in the earlier you board the ship.

Technically correct, but Carnival has really gummed up the works by reducing the amount of employees and shifting the problem to the guests.