Another Mendenhall Glacier Transport Question

MarieF4861

My daughter and I want to visit Mendenhall Glacier on our own for our upcoming cruise on the NCL Pearl this month (July). Our ship docks at 2pm. We would like to spend as much time as we like there and plan on going to Tracy’s Crab Shack for a bite afterwards.

Based on my research, our options for getting to Mendenhall are the Blue Bus, the White Bus, or a taxi. I am not interested in a public bus or renting a car. The cost of the buses is $30RT plus tax (which appears to be 5%) and the last bus back is at 6pm. A cab appears to be about $35. The bus cost includes the $5 admission fee. The cab does not.

Even though it appears to be slightly more expensive, I am leaning toward the cab because of the fact that I want to stop at Tracy’s Crab Shack on the way back and it seems to be a walk from the pier, which I assume is the area where the buses drop you off.

My questions are:

What is the difference between the white bus and the blue bus and do both leave and return you to the same area? I am not sure how to find out where the Pearl docks in Juneau and if one or the other would be closer.

Do you think I might be able to get the bus driver to drop me off near Tracy’s rather than taking us all the way back to the pier?

Or, maybe Tracy’s is not as far as I think it is – I am directionally challenged!

Thanks!

Edited by MarieF4861

The blue bus and the white bus pick up and drop off in the same place. You can board right in front of Mount Roberts Tram. In fact, I paid round trip for blue bus, but the white bus offered to take us back.

I just google mapped Mount Roberts Tram to Tracy's crab shack and it says it is a 2 minute walk .1 mile.

We will be 4 people going to Mendenhall,so a taxi will probably be cheaper.ALso we have a National Park pass so I think we do not have to pay $5 for entrance for 4 people.

Tracy's is a short, few minute walk from the tram parking lot. The Pearl, usually is at the AJ dock- which you get a shuttle from, to the tram parking lot. At the tram parking lot are the kiosks that sell the Mendenhall shuttle bus tickets and where you board the buses.

The different color buses, are simply, different vendors- going to/from the exact same place.

Thanks for the info. Good to know where the Pearl is likely to be docking and that Tracy's is so close to where the buses leave you. Although I don't have a National Park Senior pass, this may be the time/place to purchase one. I will factor that into my decision as to whether to take a cab there.