First Timer Questions

Jack E Dawson

My wife and I are making an east to west TA crossing on the QM2 next May. This is all very new and there seems a lot of information to take in. However, there are a few issues I cannot get clarity on from the Cunard website. The community's help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is the food in Golden Lion's Pub, Veuve Cliquot Bar, Carinthia Lounge, Sir Samuel's, Commodore Club and King's Court buffet included in the fare?

2. If we bring wine on board can we consume it outside of our cabin in open areas such as on the promenade deck or sports deck?

3. Is a la carte dining available in the Britannia Club restaurant?

4. Is breakfast available on the last morning before disembarking?

5. Is the menu basically the same each night in the Britannia restaurant?

6. Do you clear U.S. Customs on the boat before docking?

Thank you for your help.

Harold

My wife and I are making an east to west TA crossing on the QM2 next May. This is all very new and there seems a lot of information to take in. However, there are a few issues I cannot get clarity on from the Cunard website. The community's help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is the food in Golden Lion's Pub, Veuve Cliquot Bar, Carinthia Lounge, Sir Samuel's, Commodore Club and King's Court buffet included in the fare?

Hi Jack E Dawson,

All food is included... with the exception of lunch and dinner in the Verandah (aft end Deck 8) and the speciality restaurants that set up each evening in the Kings Court (Deck 7).

2. If we bring wine on board can we consume it outside of our cabin in open areas such as on the promenade deck or sports deck?
I have in the past with family (champagne at sailaway parties near the stern), there was no issue with crew. However, I believe the rules state "in your cabin".

3. Is a la carte dining available in the Britannia Club restaurant?
I understand that the choices in Britannia Club are from an expanded Britannia Restaurant menu. If "a la carte" is important, I think you have to book the "Grills".

4. Is breakfast available on the last morning before disembarking?
Yes, of course. My serious advice is to avoid the Kings Court at all costs on the last morning; make for your usual restaurant. The menu there may be slightly limited compared with other mornings, but you'll avoid the zoo that the Kings Court becomes when everyone descends all at once, fighting for a table. I used to go to the Kings Court during my early trips and still have the bruises to prove it.

5. Is the menu basically the same each night in the Britannia restaurant?
The menu will change every night during the crossing. Remeber that salmon, chicken and steak are always available if there is really nothing on the menu you fancy (in all my trips, I've only taken this option once). The last "formal night" (usually the second night before the end of the voyage) is usually an "enhanced" menu, if you are thinking of trying somewhere else to eat one night, I'd choose another evening rather than miss this evening in Britannia.

6. Do you clear U.S. Customs on the boat before docking?
No this is done in the terminal building in Redhook, Brooklyn.

I hope this helps. There are many photographs taken during several crossings on QM2 (both good weather and bad), both interior and out on deck, via the link below. A couple of my crossings were west-bound in May, they were amongst the best I've taken.

Have an amazing crossing on the stunning QM2. Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

There is a small a la care menu, along with the Britannia menu, in Britannia Club.
Thank you cruiseluvva, I've learnt something this morning, thanks to you :) . Not a grade I've any experience of (the upgrade fairy has never been that generous :( ).

Best wishes.

Thank you Pepperrn. Your answers gave us the exact clarity we was looking for. Especially appreciate your added advice about the last formal night. We feel there is just so much that we don't know that we don't know but it will be an adventure finding out.

Thank you Pepperrn. Your answers gave us the exact clarity we was looking for. Especially appreciate your added advice about the last formal night. We feel there is just so much that we don't know that we don't know but it will be an adventure finding out.
A pleasure Jack E Dawson,

A couple of other things I've thought about.

Breakfast on the last morning is much earlier than usual.

During sailaway parties there is champagne for sale (in small and normal size bottles). Because of the two stern pools they use plastic "glasses"; if you do end up taking your own to drink, you could ask very nicely for a couple of "glasses" to use.

There are many helpful, informed and friendly people here; please ask away if you've further questions, someone is almost certain to know the answer.

An early Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Peppern just a quick question if your able to help?

Clearing customs in NY at the terminal (thought it would have been done on the ship as it did in NZ)[emoji20]...how long does it take normally as we wanted to get off at and cram as much in as possible as I've not been before [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Peppern just a quick question if your able to help? Clearing customs in NY at the terminal (thought it would have been done on the ship as it did in NZ)...how long does it take normally as we wanted to get off at and cram as much in as possible as I've not been before
Hi pmqua1,

I've not been "in transit" in New York as you will be in November, so other helpful members may be able to give you a better idea. However, I have been through immigration at Redhook a few times, so my observations may help.

You'll not have luggage, so should be able, as "in transit" passengers, to leave QM2 as early as you wish (note that breakfast is served esp early that morning).

Friends told me that they went ashore with the "self-disembarkation" passengers. Look for the overhead signs in the terminal so that you go to the correct desks. Immigration processing is fairly swift; don't be put off by queues, the snakes move along quite quickly. As I said, not having luggage will assist you greatly. My friends were given special instructions, before arrival, as "in-transit" passengers, I believe.

On returning, if taking a taxi back to the Redhook Terminal, make sure the driver KNOWS where he is going before getting in the taxi, in my (admittedly limited) experience, some don't. (One time, crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, my driver suddenly announced "I don't know where I am going" I pointed down river to the huge, gleaming QM2 towering over everything. "Head for that!" I said :D ).

See you both, and the others on the roll call in November :) . I hope my flight to New York arrives on time.

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you made us feel happier. I'm sure all will be ok and your flight will be on time. Now packing for a little cruise from Venice on Saturday keep the cruise addiction going [emoji3][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you made us feel happier. I'm sure all will be ok and your flight will be on time. Now packing for a little cruise from Venice on Saturday keep the cruise addiction going
Lucky you :) I'm not jealous at all (says he, lying!). Have a superb time, I've sailed in and out of Venice, amazing.

All best wishes :)