Under what circumstances would you switch cabins?

Many years ago, we had booked an obstructed ocean view cabin on a NCL cruise. It was our very first ocean view cabin after cruising in interior cabins. Was so excited for it, even though it had a somewhat obstructed view. About 2 weeks before the cruise, we got a phone call from our TA, that someone wanted that cabin badly. We couldn't understand why, but they offered us half off the cost of our cruise. Well, we really couldn't resist, so we accepted the deal and settled on an interior cabin. The cabin we received was right under the stage of the theater, plus right next to a stairway that lead to the stage. Heard lots of running up and down on the steps and could hear the dancers doing their tapping when dancing. A little annoying, but worth the savings. I really don't think I would change cabins again unless it was done before getting on the ship, like before. Unless, it was an upgrade, of course. ;)

Gwen [emoji924][emoji631]

Regarding assignment of accessible cabins....they will not book you into one unless you certify that you need it. At a certain point, which can vary according to bookings, they will offer it to sale to anyone, but they usually will include a notice that you may need to be reassigned, if they subsequently need it for a disabled person.

Certifying the needs that the passenger requires the features of an accessible cabin only applies to cruises embarking from a USA. Since the USA Department of Transportation Law regarding the booking of accessible cabins on ships embarking from a USA port went into effect 1/1/2012 purposely booking an accessible cabin by the abled bodied has greatly reduced. However sadly there some individuals that will falsely certify the need to book the accessible cabin for the space so they don't have purchase a larger standard.

I may be wrong but I thought the accessible cabin's were ones that RCI could require you to change from if you booked it :confused:

You're correct to point. For cruises embarking from a USA the cruise will only attempt the change if it can prove that individual falsely certified the need for an accessible cabin which is very hard to prove since USA Privacy laws restrict the information that the cruise line is allow to ask. Also suggest you read my other replies in this post.

If I was booked in a handicapped room and a handicapped person needed it, I would switch. Barring that, I would say no.

I handpick my room and put a lot of thought into it and would be annoyed that someone who did less planning ahead than me now wants me to accommodate them.

I read the post about the guy with the guarantee room and understand that he didn't know what it was, but really...read the description under the room, don't just look at the price, it's not as if that was a really random mistake that was out of his control; he just didn't take the time to read what he was buying. I feel badly for him because he does seem understandig that it's his own fault and is ok if it doesn't get resolved, but I wouldn't want to be asked to move on his behalf.

Actually the guy technically was not in error. He booked a guaranteed room. Yes when the cabin was actually assigned one would think that the individual would have checked it out on line to see but it appears the case you sited that did not occur. With that said for all cruises embarking from a USA Port the cruise lines have the right to release all unsold accessible cabins as well as assign accessible cabins to a guaranteed booking after the final payment. If the accessible cabin was booked by an abled-bodied person or assigned by the cruise line as a guaranteed booking to an abled-bodied person after the final payment period the passenger as well as the cruise line are under no-legal obligation to relinquish the accessible cabin.

However if an abled-bodied individual falsely attested to having the need for to book an accessible cabin for any cruise embarking from the USA not only can the cruise line move the passenger to a standard cabin the passenger can actually be evicted from the cruise was falsifying the documents that most cruise lines require those booking accessible cabins should complete.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Over the past 10 years my brother has booked interior GTY's and gotten accessible cabins 3 times on 2 different cruise lines. He's NEVER asked for an accessible cabin and has no need for one.

By the time they give an accessible cabin to someone who booked a 'Guarantee', it is apparent that no handicapped person is interested in booking it, so it is fair game for anyone.