Must do bio bay! Help

mitsugirly

We are flying in to SJ 2 days ahead of our cruise just so I can experience this. I know it's weird, but in my college writing classes, we had to do a descriptive essay on something we have done before and for some reason I just did it on bio bay because I thought it would make for a neat report. :D

I did a lot of research about the bay, what it is, what causes it and the kayaking experience. I took information from online, blogs, tripadvisor experiences and so on. By the time I was done with my paper, I felt like I had actually already done this trip before. :)

We booked our first cruise out of San Juan, just so that I could actually get the chance to experience this miracle. I'm very aware that that the hype of the glow might not be what you experience and there are many factors that go into your experience (moon, weather and so on).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So....I know that you do not want a lot of moonlight. I checked the moon phases schedule for the days we are going to be there and this is what it shows:

moon_zps0nxxrl6w.jpg

Obviously not the most perfect conditions, but at least it's not a full moon right?

Any thoughts on what it will be like with this type of moon night? I have read people state that some vendors will bring tarps to put over everyone so that it becomes dark enough to see. Thoughts on this? I mean "hey, whatever it takes" right? or no?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next...Although I did my paper on going there by kayak, sigh, I just don't think this might be the best for us, especially with an 8 year old (although she would be up for it because she'll do anything and is actually pretty good at kayaking and loves it)....however, the reports I have read about the craziness of people that don't know how to kayak or control their boats, hitting people with their oars, running into each other, tipping...um NOPE, I think I'll have to pass on that one with a young child in the middle of darkness.

So, obviously I need to take a tour by motorboat. Anyone with suggestions? I started trying to read up on vendors that others have used and got frustrated when I looked up a few given names and that vendor didn't mention doing the tours (which maybe they stopped?) and so on.

Do these vendors provide transportation? How does it all work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have yet to pick a hotel to stay at, but...was thinking of maybe staying at one in the Isla Verde area. While I know it's still pretty far away, (but not as far as SJ) do any of the vendors pick up from there and drop off and provide a transportation package? If not, do I just contact a taxi to see if they would do it? Any hotels that might offer this excursion that I should look in to? I don't think we would consider renting a vehicle. I just don't like the thought of driving somewhere that I'm not familiar with the area and where I'm going. So probably not an option? :confused:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anything else you want to share about the bio bay is always appreciated. :)

If it's a cloudy night you probably won't have much moonlight. I have always gone on nights when there wasn't much of a moon, though. I checked the moon calendar before making travel plans.

In March 2015 we went on an electric boat with Bio Island to tour biobay in Fajardo.

http://bioislandpr.com/about_us.html

It was wonderful! It's a small quiet boat, with a captain who steered the boat, and a tour guide who gave a very good commentary. There were about a total of 6 passengers including my 14 year old son and myself.

There is a very long narrow mangrove channel to get into the bay, and it would have been stressful for me to have had to kayak in the dark in single file. It was very crowded that night, and there were a constant stream of kayaks rowing closely one after the other, so rowers have to focus to keep from bumping into other kayaks

For me, it was much better to be able to relax in the boat and listen to the commentary. The guide pointed out plants and animals with flashlights in the mangrove. When we got to the bay, all the kayaks had left, and our boat was there alone. We were able to put our hands in the water and given sticks to stir up the luminescence.

To get there from San Juan, I rented a car and we stayed in Fajardo 1 night.

If it's a cloudy night you probably won't have much moonlight. I have always gone on nights when there wasn't much of a moon, though. I checked the moon calendar before making travel plans.

So like I said above, it looks like there's a 1/2 moon, do you think that will be ok? Obviously you can't predict the clouds, but just wondering.

In March 2015 we went on an electric boat with Bio Island to tour biobay in Fajardo.

http://bioislandpr.com/about_us.html

It was wonderful! It's a small quiet boat, with a captain who steered the boat, and a tour guide who gave a very good commentary. There were about a total of 6 passengers including my 14 year old son and myself.

There is a very long narrow mangrove channel to get into the bay, and it would have been stressful for me to have had to kayak in the dark in single file. It was very crowded that night, and there were a constant stream of kayaks rowing closely one after the other, so rowers have to focus to keep from bumping into other kayaks

For me, it was much better to be able to relax in the boat and listen to the commentary. The guide pointed out plants and animals with flashlights in the mangrove. When we got to the bay, all the kayaks had left, and our boat was there alone. We were able to put our hands in the water and given sticks to stir up the luminescence.

To get there from San Juan, I rented a car and we stayed in Fajardo 1 night.

You are so right about relaxing and being able to enjoy the ride instead of trying to control the kayak in a mangrove with a bunch of others in there in the dark. :eek: I think you have convinced me that it's best to do the boat. Where you impressed with the bay when you went? Did you feel it was worth the money?

Any suggestions or advice on a good place to stay in Fajardo that you would recommend?

Some of the operators used to not go out if the calendar showed a bright moon so if all the groups are going out, there must be something to see. Many people go when conditions are less than ideal and still enjoy the experience. I've only been when moon was mostly dark so I can't comment.

I have been 3 times. Twice by kayak and once on the boat. They are both good experiences but in different ways. You can see more from the boat because you're higher up (saw a stingray!) but the kayak is fun because it's like being in a bumper boat.

My son and I loved it!

The crew was very personable, joking and laughing with the passengers, but they also gave us good information about the phosphorescence and the eco system. Going through the mangrove, they know where certain animals usually hang out. They shone a flashlight near birds, turtles, and a boa. They were looking for a monkey, and they thought they spotted him, but it was hard to see.

We stayed quite a long time in the bay as the only boat. It was magical! They let us play with the water, stirring up the glowing organisms with our hand and sticks for as long as we wanted. We saw several glowing flying fish!

The stars (so amazing for us New Yorkers) were out and it was so peaceful and beautiful. The crew quizzed us on the stars and galaxies and we got it all wrong, haha.

While the boat was waiting for the last 2 passengers, we saw kayakers go by. They seemed to be having a lot of fun, so I think either way would be a great experience, just different, as the previous poster said.

We stayed just one night in Fajardo, at Casitas. It's a huge complex, with several pools (one inifinity), a tram to the marina, and boat to a private island beach. While it was very nice, I thought it may have been better to stay at a smaller place since we just had 1 day.

Some of the operators used to not go out if the calendar showed a bright moon so if all the groups are going out, there must be something to see. Many people go when conditions are less than ideal and still enjoy the experience. I've only been when moon was mostly dark so I can't comment.

I have been 3 times. Twice by kayak and once on the boat. They are both good experiences but in different ways. You can see more from the boat because you're higher up (saw a stingray!) but the kayak is fun because it's like being in a bumper boat.

I have been reading about how the tour operators are taking a tarp to put over the kayaks and boats so that it makes it dark just in case.

So I'm still wondering...with the moon as I posted it above, will I be able to see anything? (Half moon)?

My son and I loved it!

The crew was very personable, joking and laughing with the passengers, but they also gave us good information about the phosphorescence and the eco system. Going through the mangrove, they know where certain animals usually hang out. They shone a flashlight near birds, turtles, and a boa. They were looking for a monkey, and they thought they spotted him, but it was hard to see.

We stayed quite a long time in the bay as the only boat. It was magical! They let us play with the water, stirring up the glowing organisms with our hand and sticks for as long as we wanted. We saw several glowing flying fish!

The stars (so amazing for us New Yorkers) were out and it was so peaceful and beautiful. The crew quizzed us on the stars and galaxies and we got it all wrong, haha.

While the boat was waiting for the last 2 passengers, we saw kayakers go by. They seemed to be having a lot of fun, so I think either way would be a great experience, just different, as the previous poster said.

We stayed just one night in Fajardo, at Casitas. It's a huge complex, with several pools (one inifinity), a tram to the marina, and boat to a private island beach. While it was very nice, I thought it may have been better to stay at a smaller place since we just had 1 day.

Oh gosh, it sounds like I need to brush up on my stars. :p

Yea, I did consider Casitas in Fajardo, but that would be a place I would only book if we planned on staying only at the resort to enjoy it. I have too many things I want to do, so it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks so much for the advice and info. I think we will enjoy it either way.

Well it looks like we will be coming in even one day earlier than expected. :D (Which means there's even a greater chance for less of a moon the day before).

My question is...We have flights that are supposed to arrive around 12:50pm. By the time we rent a car and then drive to the hotel (no arrangements yet but still considering a place in Isla Verde), you don't see any problems with being able to do a tour that night right? I know it's about an hour drive away from that area. Coming in at 12:50 should give us plenty of time to get settled in, eat and make the drive....I'm hoping.

What do you all feel is the best time to pick for the trip?

6:00 p.m. 7:15 p.m. 8:30 p.m.

The advantage of doing the earlier times is you get a chance to see the mangroves. Once it gets dark you really can't see much of the forest.

The disadvantage of going early is you may have to wait for it to get dark before you see the glows so you spend time on the water waiting for it to get dark if you go during the summer. Since you're driving (our tour picked us up), you can get there early so you can see the lagoon and then take the later tour. I think there's some kind of trail, so let me see if I can find the info on it. I never had time to do it.

There are also food vendors at the lagoon, but I think they don't serve until dark and they may only be there on weekends. I was able to grab fish kebabs after one of the tours. Very tasty.

I am very interested in this thread. We will be going to SJ in October. Our flight arrives at 3:45 p.m. on October 29th which is showing excellent moon phase for the Bio Tour. We will be staying at the Caribe Hilton.

After doing research, I am leaning toward the motor tour vs. the kayak tour. Does anyone have recommendations on a motor tour? Also, do any of the tour operators pick up at the Caribe Hilton? With a 3:45 flight arrival, does this give us time to do this tour is we pick a late departure Bio Tour?

Any help you can give, will make me one happy little girl!

Thanks

The advantage of doing the earlier times is you get a chance to see the mangroves. Once it gets dark you really can't see much of the forest.

The disadvantage of going early is you may have to wait for it to get dark before you see the glows so you spend time on the water waiting for it to get dark if you go during the summer. Since you're driving (our tour picked us up), you can get there early so you can see the lagoon and then take the later tour. I think there's some kind of trail, so let me see if I can find the info on it. I never had time to do it.

There are also food vendors at the lagoon, but I think they don't serve until dark and they may only be there on weekends. I was able to grab fish kebabs after one of the tours. Very tasty.

I have read that when you are going through the mangroves that the excursion people will have lights and point out the animals and things for you to see. :confused:

I know that there are the 3 different times to take the tour. If you are on the early tour and it's light out, then you said that you may have to wait around in the lagoon for it to get a little darker to see. I'm having a hard time picturing this happen since each tour is scheduled for a certain amount of time (1 hour 15 min) and I wouldn't imagine they would extend the time for the first group. :confused:

What is there to do at the lagoon? (Since you mentioned getting there early and seeing it. Is it just the trail? Where does the trail go? What do you see along this trail? If you find the link, please let me know.

Vendors at the lagoon...nice. That would be great. Do you remember about what they charge? It would be a perfect way to end the day.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

In the summer it doesn't get dark in the Caribbean until after 7. The trip that leaves at 6 will get you in the lagoon before it gets dark. They won't need the lights for the first trip going into the lagoon during the summer so you can really see the trees and probably birds. We sat in the lagoon for not very long before it got dark and that's when our guide was telling us all about the microrganisms in the water. It's beautiful watching the sky turn dark while you're sitting in the kayaks.

The later tours you are going into the lagoon in the dark. When you get through the mangrove tree "tunnel" it will be dark in the lagoon and your guide will tell you about the microorganisms. When I did a late tour the guides also pointed out constellations and stars, but not sure if all guides and tour companies include that in their presentation.

When I googled info for the trail, you have to make reservations and I don't think it fits into your schedule. Google La Grande Lagoon Puerto Rico for more info. I haven't been able to fit it in to my schedule yet on any of my trips, but have wanted to do it.

There were vendors, both craft and food, when I went. It was a popular hang out place for locals at night with plenty of food, drinks, and music.

BayouGirl, when I went Kayaking Puerto Rico picked up people from the hotels, but there had to be a minimum number needing pick up before they would provide it. They didn't reach the minimum on the day I reserved until maybe a day or 2 before. They also called either day before or day of to make sure I was coming. If you can't answer your phone when they call I have heard they may cancel you. I'm sure they often have people on a waiting list, but I definitely booked months in advance.

There are probably other companies that offer pick up, but at that time it was time consuming to compare all the websites so I went with one that was highly recommended. I really liked Kayaking Puerto Rico and have used them more than once. They teased me and said next time I come I'll be experienced enough to work for them, lol!

In the summer it doesn't get dark in the Caribbean until after 7. The trip that leaves at 6 will get you in the lagoon before it gets dark. They won't need the lights for the first trip going into the lagoon during the summer so you can really see the trees and probably birds. We sat in the lagoon for not very long before it got dark and that's when our guide was telling us all about the microrganisms in the water. It's beautiful watching the sky turn dark while you're sitting in the kayaks.

The later tours you are going into the lagoon in the dark. When you get through the mangrove tree "tunnel" it will be dark in the lagoon and your guide will tell you about the microorganisms. When I did a late tour the guides also pointed out constellations and stars, but not sure if all guides and tour companies include that in their presentation.

When I googled info for the trail, you have to make reservations and I don't think it fits into your schedule. Google La Grande Lagoon Puerto Rico for more info. I haven't been able to fit it in to my schedule yet on any of my trips, but have wanted to do it.

There were vendors, both craft and food, when I went. It was a popular hang out place for locals at night with plenty of food, drinks, and music.

Hmm, I'm kinda torn on which to do then (early or late). It sounds like maybe you are saying the early trip is best so that you can see the mangroves. (I have to say, it sounds kinda eerie at best :eek:). I'm going to have to see if I can find some pictures online to see what it is that we'll see.

We plan on doing the boat instead of the kayak. Since we will have our 8 year old with us (which does a great job kayaking, but momma will be a little freaked out with her in one in pitch dark).

I'm definitely going to check out what I can find online about La Grande Lagoon Puerto Rico and see if it's something we'd like to do. We are staying close by at the El Conquistador for a few days before moving on to Isla Verde for a few days. But there's just so much we want to do that I'm not sure which direction I'm going at this point (BioBay, El Yunque rain forest, Luquillo, Isla Verde and even at El Conquistador with the water park and the private island.) Too much to do and too little time. :(

With a little one, I'd take the early tour. If you take the boat, you can see what's going on for a while before it gets dark, and you won't be crowded in the tunnel with all the other kayaks bumping into each other. To me, that's part of the fun, but I didn't have a kid with me.

There are several waterfalls in the rainforest and lots of pictures online. I don't know if there are good photos of the mangroves (mine didn't turn out well at all - lots of red eyed zombies), but I had a cheap camera.

Take a look at photos of the mangrove on St Thomas with VI Ecotours. Lots of good daytime photos of the mangroves. Completely different type of water experience than the ocean, but you can't swim in the lagoons in PR.