First time in Bermuda - Are my plans realistic?

PQI

Hello everyone!

So, on the 14th I'll be sailing on the Anthem, and our first port of call is Bermuda. We are scheduled to arrive at 8am at King's Wharf and leave at 4pm. It'll be my first time there and I have made a plan, but I'd like to know if it is realistic and doable, as I don't wanna risk missing the ship.

I planned on using the public buses. We plan to leave the ship as soon as possible, go straight to visitor center and purchase a pass for the day. Then, hop on the bus and go straight to Horseshoe Bay. I plan on staying there for about two hours, then get another bus and go to Hamilton. I'll spend some time walking around, sightseeing in Hamilton and plan to take the 2pm ferry back to King's Wharf, walk around a little bit and then board the ship.

What do you think? Is that risky? Will it be too rushed?

Thanks!

Edited by PQI

Hello everyone!

So, on the 14th I'll be sailing on the Anthem, and our first port of call is Bermuda. We are scheduled to arrive at 8am at King's Wharf and leave at 4pm. It'll be my first time there and I have made a plan, but I'd like to know if it is realistic and doable, as I don't wanna risk missing the ship.

I planned on using the public buses. We plan to leave the ship as soon as possible, go straight to visitor center and purchase a pass for the day. Then, hop on the bus and go straight to Horseshoe Bay. I plan on staying there for about two hours, then get another bus and go to Hamilton. I'll spend some time walking around, sightseeing in Hamilton and plan to take the 2pm ferry back to King's Wharf, walk around a little bit and then board the ship.

What do you think? Is that risky? Will it be too rushed?

Thanks!

It would be too rushed for me. I would do one or the other. Hamilton or Horseshoe. Not both. Don't forget that you could be waiting 20 minutes for a bus. But some might be ok with doing both. If I were to do both I think I would take a minibus shuttle to Horseshoe and a taxi from Horseshoe to Hamilton to maximize my time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Your plans are totally doable.

Not much to see in Hamilton, but the ferry ride is nice. I think St. George has more to see, and has less traffic. And that ferry ride will allow you to see a whole lot of Bermuda from the sea.

One thing to know, Horseshoe is very crowded. (Imagine a crowded day at any beach or water park.) Jocob's Cove, same bus, is much more secluded and more beautiful.

Not much to see in Hamilton, but the ferry ride is nice. I think St. George has more to see, and has less traffic. And that ferry ride will allow you to see a whole lot of Bermuda from the sea.

One thing to know, Horseshoe is very crowded. (Imagine a crowded day at any beach or water park.) Jocob's Cove, same bus, is much more secluded and more beautiful.

I believe they are going to be there on a Saturday. No ferry service to St. George's on the weekend.

Also where is Jocob's Cove? Perhaps you mean Jobson's Cove??? While Jobson's Cove is secluded it also does not have facilities. More beautiful, I don't think so. Horseshoe has facilities and a concession stand. And Horseshoe is beautiful. It draws people because it is both beautiful and has facilities.

Edited by Charles4515

It would be too rushed for me. I would do one or the other. Hamilton or Horseshoe. Not both. Don't forget that you could be waiting 20 minutes for a bus. But some might be ok with doing both. If I were to do both I think I would take a minibus shuttle to Horseshoe and a taxi from Horseshoe to Hamilton to maximize my time.

Thanks a lot! I think I'll do as you said. From what I researched, direct shuttle to Horseshoe Bay + Taxi to Hamilton + one-way ferry ticket to King's Wharf would be only a little bit more expensive than a day pass, and would allow us to enjoy some more time and be more on the safe side regarding the time we have.

Thanks for your input! To be sincere, I also think St. George would be much more interesting for me than Hamilton. The problem is that, given I only have six or so hours on the island (discounting the time taken to disembark and giving a little safety margin to be back onboard) and we would like some beach time, I think it would be too long a distance, so it would be too risky. As Charles4515 correctly stated, we'll be there on a Saturday and from what I read there won't be a ferry service operating that day, so no "fast track" from and back to the ship. Since it is my first trip to Bermuda, I'd rather stick to the safe side for now... But next time, hoping it will be soon, I'll definitely go to St. George's as it seems to be a very interesting place.

Regarding Horseshoe Bay, my girlfriend wants to get to know it as she is all hyped up about the pink sand. :D I also thought of Horseshoe Bay due to the facilities, as Charles4515 mentioned, and given it is busier and the most famous beach I also thought transportation to and from there would be easier. We don't mind a crowded beach. I saw however that Jobson's Cove is not that far away and would be only a 10 minute walk from Horseshoe Bay. Is that correct? Since we plan on staying at Horseshoe Bay for a couple of hours, we could take some of that time and go check it out if it is really that close!

The OP is visiting Bermuda on Saturday 7/16 from 8AM to 4PM. The ferry, Dockyard <> St George, does not run on weekends. If you really want to see SG, I would take a cruise ship excursion to go there.

As for transportation, I agree with member Charles4515 suggestion for using a taxi to get around. You save time by - not waiting to purchase a Transportation Pass, not waiting for public transportation (which is on a reduced weekend schedule), and having shorter travel times to your destinations.

Before boarding the Hamilton <> Dockyard ferry. you could buy a token for the ferry at the VIC located at the ferry dock.

2 things to take into consideration. The first is that you'll have to clean up after visiting the beach and be wearing dry clothes before boarding the taxi. The second is that the ferry will be running on a reduced weekend schedule. I've posted a pic of that schedule below:

WeekendBlueRouteSchedule.jpg

SBtS

The OP is visiting Bermuda on Saturday 7/16 from 8AM to 4PM. The ferry, Dockyard <> St George, does not run on weekends. If you really want to see SG, I would take a cruise ship excursion to go there.

As for transportation, I agree with member Charles4515 suggestion for using a taxi to get around. You save time by - not waiting to purchase a Transportation Pass, not waiting for public transportation (which is on a reduced weekend schedule), and having shorter travel times to your destinations.

Before boarding the Hamilton <> Dockyard ferry. you could buy a token for the ferry at the VIC located at the ferry dock.

2 things to take into consideration. The first is that you'll have to clean up after visiting the beach and be wearing dry clothes before boarding the taxi. The second is that the ferry will be running on a reduced weekend schedule. I've posted a pic of that schedule below:

WeekendBlueRouteSchedule.jpg

SBtS

I heard that about taxis requiring you to be clean before boarding. I heard there are facilities at Horseshoe Bay where you can shower and tidy up. Is that true? I was planning on bringing a change of clothes for cleaning up and changing into after the beach.

About the ferry, I was thinking of taking the 1pm if we are ahead of schedule or the 2pm one at the latest. Would that be too risky? Also, about the token, you mean the VIC at the ferry dock on King's Wharf on the ticket vendor at the ferry dock in Hamilton (assuming there is one)?

I heard that about taxis requiring you to be clean before boarding. I heard there are facilities at Horseshoe Bay where you can shower and tidy up. Is that true? I was planning on bringing a change of clothes for cleaning up and changing into after the beach.

About the ferry, I was thinking of taking the 1pm if we are ahead of schedule or the 2pm one at the latest. Would that be too risky? Also, about the token, you mean the VIC at the ferry dock on King's Wharf on the ticket vendor at the ferry dock in Hamilton (assuming there is one)?

Yes, there are facilities at Horseshoe Bay for changing, including showers.

What I think he means about the tokens is that you can buy them at the Ferry Terminal in Hamilton. You can. As far as the 2:00pm time, that depends on your comfort level. The ferry ride is 30 minutes.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, there are facilities at Horseshoe Bay for changing, including showers.

What I think he means about the tokens is that you can buy them at the Ferry Terminal in Hamilton. You can. As far as the 2:00pm time, that depends on your comfort level. The ferry ride is 30 minutes.

Great! Thanks a lot for the tips! :)

I have been to Bermuda four times.

On a Sunday I would skip Hamilton. There's really not much at all and the ferry ride isn't all that.

Personally I would do an all day beach day.

Actually, I'll be there on a Saturday, not Sunday... Will everything be closed on Saturday as well?

Actually, I'll be there on a Saturday, not Sunday... Will everything be closed on Saturday as well?

Everything won't be closed on a Saturday. Everything is not closed on Sunday but many shops are closed on Sunday. It is a traditional day of rest. Years ago there were laws in the US that stores had to close on Sunday. Part of that was to ensure store workers a day of rest. I believe in Bermuda to stay open on Sunday a fee has to be paid.

I think it is risky. The roads are small and crowded. As small as Bermuda is it takes forever to get from one place to another. And the ferries do not always run on schedule. Don't try to get to St George. It is the most interesting part of the island, but the chances of having time to see anything and getting back on time are slim. If the beach is your first choice, does your ship have any shore excursions going there. That always guarantees a return on time.

Just got home last week from Bermuda :) Go to end of pier when you get off ship and tell them you want the $7.00 minibus (Cash only fare each way) to Horseshoe Bay. They put you in a small van that holds like 15 people be prepared to be crunched. The ship charges $40 for this round trip so you save A LOT!!! When you get to the beach there is a place to change, grab lunch and even a nice foot wash area. A taxi is $45 to take you one way from the ship. Buses get crowded so you may not get the first one that comes along if it is full. I was told there could be a 2 hr wait, not sure if I believe that but the information lady is the one who told me so. You can also rent 2 chairs and umbrella for $40. They set it up and you do nothing else except enjoy the pink beach :)

If it were me I would do Horseshoe bay then walk around Dockyard and shop. Clock Tower Mall has alot of shops with neat souvenirs. Good Luck!